• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel firmware 1.48 now available with new features

I’ve done it the same time, every time.
Only twice have I not lost everything.
The profiles never DON’T exist in the app, until an update wipes them out.

That's what I thought but your post indicated there was another way which is why I asked.

That's what I thought but your post indicated there was another way which is why I asked.
The other way is to a PC using the Kestrel optical USB cable and the AB profile loader software.

Guy at your last PRS match needs to read the instructions which clearly state to back your shit up *BEFORE* you do the update, then restore your profiles once the update is done. This is standard software practices.

I'll be sure to tell him.

Does the link on phone or on Kestrel provide a live sync or a button to "update existing" profiles.

You load a gun then go to the range, change muzzle velocity and true for form factor. Now the link profile on the phone is out of date
with what is on the kestrel. Is their an update profile option or do you have to delete profile then get profiles form Kestrel.

Maybe I am just missing something but seems like if its connected to bluetooth it should keep both updated automatically or at least have an option to sync

Thanks in advance

Does the link on phone or on Kestrel provide a live sync or a button to "update existing" profiles.

You load a gun then go to the range, change muzzle velocity and true for form factor. Now the link profile on the phone is out of date
with what is on the kestrel. Is their an update profile option or do you have to delete profile then get profiles form Kestrel.

Maybe I am just missing something but seems like if its connected to bluetooth it should keep both updated automatically or at least have an option to sync

Thanks in advance
The Link Ballistics app has "get" and "send" profiles buttons.
Under the settings menu you have the options under "Profile Downloads" to Append to Profile List or Overwrite Existing Profiles to set the behavior.

Reactions: Changed
I received a bluetooth update notification when I connected to the Kestrel at the range today. I didn't do the upgrade but want to now that I'm home. I don't get the message when I connect now.

I received a bluetooth update notification when I connected to the Kestrel at the range today. I didn't do the upgrade but want to now that I'm home. I don't get the message when I connect now.
You can connect with Kestrel Link (blue kestrel white background) not the ballistic app and see if it advertises to update. Latest is fw 1.48 BLE 0.09. Found in settings/ about/ version.

If you still do not get the update notification, call 800-784-4221 and ask for Nick, he can walk you through the steps to force the update.

According to the Kestrel, the G7 of a Berger 105 Hybrid Target is 1.000 and the G1 is 1.953, when I select a custom drag curve in the app, and then scroll through on the Kestrel like in the video above.
Edit, and actually, I still get “Custom” for the drag model and no further info.
PPS. Updated app and all is good.

I’ve done it the same time, every time.
Only twice have I not lost everything.
The profiles never DON’T exist in the app, until an update wipes them out.
I had the same problem. One of the profiles disappeared from the kestrel app. If there is process to save data as is recommended prior to updating, I wish they would post that process instead of just saying, “save your data”

I had the same problem. One of the profiles disappeared from the kestrel app. If there is process to save data as is recommended prior to updating, I wish they would post that process instead of just saying, “save your data”
The process is create your profile in the app and then send it to the Kestrel. If you modify the profile in the Kestrel upload it to the app. Always have your profile in both places.

Reactions: HD1911
If Accuracy 1st mode is enabled it will override that.

Once the trade show and convention season is over sign up for their online classes once they schedule some:

Thank you had the same issue.

@Kestrel Ballistics Totally digging the new target card multiple sector capabilities in the 1.48 update. I preloaded 8 stages the night before a match on Friday and just fine tuned the ranges as I confirmed them with my Sig3000BDX LRF prior to the match the next morning.
My question is, will an update to the Kestrel Ballistics Android application be coming soon? It would be nice if multiple sectors on the target card can be built on the phone and sent to the 5700 Elite.

Last edited:
@Kestrel Ballistics Totally digging the new target card multiple sector capabilities in the 1.48 update. I preloaded 8 stages the night before a match on Friday and just fine tuned the ranges as I confirmed them with my Sig3000BDX LRG prior to the match the next morning.
My question is, will an update to the Kestrel Ballistics Android application be coming soon? It would be nice if multiple sectors on the target card can be built on the phone and sent to the 5700 Elite.
More will be coming to the mult-target features, we just wanted to get the basics out quickly.

When I do that it defaults all 10 targets to 100y
Current status of Sectors:

Start a new target card and all targets will be set to 100 yds and 0 hold. Enter the targets you need, and an elevation value and windage (after you get wind direction and speed) will be present. the remainder of the 10 will continue to show 0 elevation and 0 windage.

You cannot turn targets off in the sector cards, there will always be 10.

Example: If you input 5 targets and give those 5 targets respective ranges and wind calls; data will appear in the 5 but the remaining 5 will continue to show 0 holds.

We are working with active competitors to refine this function and your input is welcome.

Great update.
What I would suggest is to save temp table on/off setting to profile in the app so it returns the same setting it had before update. Or some other fix to not have the setting changed.

One of the new features that was poorly implemented was the “holdover feature”. This let you enter an initial setting and then it would show you the net difference for each target from that initial distance, which serves no purpose as it is the same as elevation. Strelok has it correct in that it shows you the distance from the previous target, so a read, a few clicks and next shot. Current method would require a zero reset. Upset that I invested $1200 into Kestral and a $14 app works better.

Reactions: st1650
One of the new features that was poorly implemented was the “holdover feature”. This let you enter an initial setting and then it would show you the net difference for each target from that initial distance, which serves no purpose as it is the same as elevation. Strelok has it correct in that it shows you the distance from the previous target, so a read, a few clicks and next shot. Current method would require a zero reset. Upset that I invested $1200 into Kestral and a $14 app works better.
How does that feature works in StrelokPro ?

How does that feature works in StrelokPro ?
That is under the multi-target "locations" button (Looks like 3 targets).

Once you have entered all your targets for a stage you will see the hold difference to the right of the target number before the wind hold.

ETA:
You can toggle between difference between first target hold or previous by tapping the little up arrow next to it.

Reactions: st1650
That is under the multi-target "locations" button (Looks like 3 targets).

Once you have entered all your targets for a stage you will see the hold difference to the right of the target number before the wind hold.

ETA:
You can toggle between difference between first target hold or previous by tapping the little up arrow next to it.
Really cool feature. I agree should be in the 5700

Please add an option to turn on mil based (6000 and 6400) compass to the next kestrel FW.

Any updates on the Sectors being added to the Android or Iphone app? This is need for setting up the stages before the match starts, doing on the Kestral is slow and tedious.

Reactions: seansmd
It would be nice to have ZH and ZO units of measurement to be selectable for each gun. Currently if you change it to MOA for one gun then it will make that the UOM for all guns. I have some Mil scopes and some MOA scopes so it would be nice to have the ZH and ZO match the gun/scope combination.

Last edited:
Reactions: st1650 and 6.5SH
Love the ability to create multiple target cards.

Is there a way to save the cards in the app?

Will target cards be lost when changing batteries?

Thanks

It'd be great if it didn't show the unchanged targets (i.e. - ones left with a default distance of 100) on the target screen of the Kestral, too. I set my sectors up ahead of the match if I have a COF beforehand. When I arrive at a station I go to that target card and look at the targets. I scroll to the distance column and verify they match what's on the COF if I've got a printed copy with me. Seeing exactly, say, five targets I've configured for the stage would be nice rather than seeing 5-8 where 6-8 aren't necessary. I don't immediately recognize that until I look at the distance on the Kestrel and confirm with the paper copy.

Any updates on the Sectors being added to the Android or Iphone app? This is need for setting up the stages before the match starts, doing on the Kestral is slow and tedious.
I can put 10 stages into the Kestrel during the safety brief by a MD at a 1 day club match. Just like cleaning a stage; it requires that P word

Reactions: parshal
I made the mistake of putting a brand new lithium battery in it and then deciding to upgrade from 1.4 to 1.48. That would be the only time I would suggest using a cheap alkaline battery since it burned 60% of my battery.

I noticed that when I true via CAL MV, it said MV TEMP saved. Does this mean it’s already accounting/building for a temp table based on my initial MV input? How much effort do you put into building a temp table from data gather from your MV? (Ex. 30° day, get MV, 60°, get MV, etc)

Sub 1000yd, do you recommend truing MV or BC?

How does KESTREL account for MV sensitive powders vs less sensitive? (Varget vs LeverEvolution)

Is the best practice just shooting in as many environmentals as possible and building a robust profile?

I know it’s a lot of questions but i think about these things daily.

The temp table is used to account for temp sensitive powders. Do cal MV at a range of temps and once you have a base you can turn the table on. Our Schoolhouse has a video on it and many other features.

I got my 5700AL upgraded to FW 2.12 / Boot 2.00 but can't find any information about the 2.12 features. Is there such info available?

I saw the same thing. When I asked Kestrel they said I had to use the phone app. Not sure why.

Stupid question, I know, but do you not see it in your yardage choices? It doesn't default to 5.

Reactions: HD1911
How to show fewer than all 10 multi targets in the HUD

Read the link for directions

2 years later and this works fine, but I have to ask if it would be possible to not have all 10 still show up on the kestrel target card? I can remove the excess targets from a sector in the app, but if you export back to the kestrel the excess targets still show up with the zero range as the target distance. Not a functional issue, just a creature comfort/preference thing.