• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel firmware version 1.41! Now available.

Kestrel Ballistics

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Boothwyn PA
kestrelinstruments.com
Latest firmware is now available. Here are the new changes with Kestrel firmware version 1.41!
  1. Tired of praying that you get a “turn” to register while calibrating your compass? Or getting consistent failures based on how fast you are spinning the Kestrel? Well with this update all you need is to do is turn it consistently for 30 seconds and you’re done! Internal testing has shown that there is no difference in the accuracy of the compass when calibrating using this new method, so it’s a win-win for our customers.
  2. Have you ever wanted the Kestrel to update the wind direction to match a change in the direction of fire? This now can be done with a new setting under the WD submenu. Simply change the new menu item: WD Chg from “Manual” to “w/ DOF” and your WD will no longer remain static. This is helpful when the Kestrel is in a vane mount and using a connectable laser range finder or our app and change wind direction. However there are many reasons why it is important to do a new wind capture for each new shot, so use this setting cautiously. https://kestrelballistics.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/441/
  3. If you’ve created a gun on the Kestrel and cannot get rid of that pesky asterisk at the start of the profile name, well we removed that for you.
  4. Also all the pre-loaded custom drag models on the 5700 Elite and 5700X have been updated to bullets more commonly used in the field. When creating a gun profile on the Kestrel, scroll the DM to the right to view the pre-loaded custom drag curves.
  5. Finally have some time to kill during the lockdown? With this new update we’ve added the old school Snake game to play. Found under the About menu. Just try to master the Sensei level, good luck!

Updated my 5700 Elite last night. Calibration of the compass was indeed much easier! Accuracy of the compass seemed spot on!

Will have to try and upload the version this weekend

What’s the memory capacity for the Kestrel 5700 Elite? Is there a concern for how much data can be uploaded on the 5700?

I assume the 5700X got a memory capacity increase.

Guys, I have tried to update 4 times now but still on version 1.39?
I have tried a reset to factory and deleting all gun profiles but still will not update to 1.41?
Anyone else having problems installing?

I have tried a reset to factory and deleting all gun profiles but still will not update to 1.41?
No need to remove gunfiles...since update 1.something it automaticly stores your gun files first.

I have same issue, but than i noticed my display auto shutdown time was at 15min. Thing shut itself down before update was complete. Tried it with 30 min. Still not working.
After 97% the kestrel shutsdown the BT connection, and it wont come back online. Turning BT on Kestrel on and off only leaves BT on for 2 secs. After some time BT turns back on, but as soon as you pres retry connection on the app, the kestrel shutsdown BT again.

Ill give it a try through Ipad and Windows later on.

Nevermind, the privacy pin under bluetooth was also still turned on. Ideal when on the range and lotsa other noobs are sending Or deleting gunfiles to and on “their” kestrel....but not when installing an upgrade. Removed the privacy pin and it installed flawlesly.

Kind regards,

MP.

Make sure your kestrel link app is on the latest version, put a fresh battery in your kestrel and try again. After the firmware update, my battery was at 54%.

Got it installed and it went smoothly, thank for the update.

Thanks for the new update! I was using it today and the compass calibration is way easier. As well, I like that if I set the DOF for all 5 targets, I can then capture the wind for T1 and the wind direction relative to DOF changes for the other targets. My only suggestion would be that perhaps in another update, you could keep the same feature but allow the user to manually input T1 wind direction and speed instead of having to "capture" it. Although the capture feature works well, shooting in mountainous, wooded, or both, areas, I find myself often protected from the wind at my firing position so I'm making a wind call based on what I'm seeing between myself and the target. It would be great if my wind SWAG could be entered for T1 and then populate the wind direction relative to the DOFs of the subsequent targets, if that all makes sense?

Make sure your kestrel link app is on the latest version, put a fresh battery in your kestrel and try again. After the firmware update, my battery was at 54%.
Fire it up again and it won't read 54%. I promise. I've had the same battery in my 5700 for close to a year and it says anywhere from 12% to 100% at any given time. Your Kestrel battery should last hours and hours. And hours. And hours.

I had to try twice . . . first said "complete", but came back on 1.39. Second try took longer, and 1.41 came up. I can omly conclude that there was an error in transfer and a checksum fail the first time . . . I suggest trying things in different positions, just in case.

Last edited:
Fire it up again and it won't read 54%. I promise. I've had the same battery in my 5700 for close to a year and it says anywhere from 12% to 100% at any given time. Your Kestrel battery should last hours and hours. And hours. And hours.
Have you checked system settings after the update? Mine read also something low as 14% but thats because after each update it thinks its seeing a litium battery but im using alkalines. When telling the systems which type of battery you got in it, it will tell the wright battery level again, mine went back to 89% after that.

Kind regards,
MP.

Anyone notice a change in their dope after updating? Mine has changed all my data and Ive got a match coming up soon. Trued it out to 600 last week, but wont be able to get out before to confirm the new data. I did adjust the BC to line up, but wondering if the update changed some of the bullets BC’s. Glad I caught it before next weekend.

Anyone notice a change in their dope after updating? Mine has changed all my data and Ive got a match coming up soon. Trued it out to 600 last week, but wont be able to get out before to confirm the new data. I did adjust the BC to line up, but wondering if the update changed some of the bullets BC’s. Glad I caught it before next weekend.

Didn't change any of my dope but I only verified out to 830 yards. It did reset all my settings so I noticed a change in dope initially, until I went back and turned off spin drift and aerodynamic jump.

I had to try twice . . . first said "complete", but came back on 1.39. Second try too longer, and 1.41 came up. I can omly conclude that there was an error in transfer and a checksum fail the first time . . . I suggest trying things in different positions, just in case.

Same exact thing happened to me.

Didn’t change my dope but I use the custom curves. It did delete a single gun profile for some reason. Luckily I have all my data written down in a note book in case that happens. I’ll have to reverifiy just to be sure but it looks all good other than that.

could not update using cable and Link on PC. it kept saying my firmware was up to date and it wasnt. i was on 1.39. Had to do it via bluetooth and the ios app.

Anyone get this working successfully with the Android app? It says complete all the time, even restarts and restores profiles. But it's always stuck at 1.39 and never 1.41. I'm doing a factory reset right now, and then trying again.

Ran mine through the update process twice and it still says 1.39 and I can't play the snake game. :(

Anyone get this working successfully with the Android app? It says complete all the time, even restarts and restores profiles. But it's always stuck at 1.39 and never 1.41. I'm doing a factory reset right now, and then trying again.

Yes, I updated via the Android application. It took two times but did fully install the second time.

Reactions: seansmd

Remove your battery and press the power button for 10 seconds. Then insert a brand new battery (if the it drops low enough during the update then bluetooth gets turned off) and try again.

No need to remove gunfiles...since update 1.something it automaticly stores your gun files first.

I have same issue, but than i noticed my display auto shutdown time was at 15min. Thing shut itself down before update was complete. Tried it with 30 min. Still not working.
After 97% the kestrel shutsdown the BT connection, and it wont come back online. Turning BT on Kestrel on and off only leaves BT on for 2 secs. After some time BT turns back on, but as soon as you pres retry connection on the app, the kestrel shutsdown BT again.

Ill give it a try through Ipad and Windows later on.

Just to be safe, always backup your gun profiles before performing an update.

could not update using cable and Link on PC. it kept saying my firmware was up to date and it wasnt. i was on 1.39. Had to do it via bluetooth and the ios app.

Did you download and install the update file first? Then restart the program and perform the update? Here is a link, you need to install the FW update first every time when using the PC software. https://kestrelinstruments.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/66/

Remove your battery and then hold the power button for 10 seconds. Insert a brand new battery and try again.

Ran mine through the update process twice and it still says 1.39 and I can't play the snake game. :(

See above.

Reactions: Mordamer
Remove your battery and press the power button for 10 seconds. Then insert a brand new battery (if the it drops low enough during the update then bluetooth gets turned off) and try again.

Just to be safe, always backup your gun profiles before performing an update.

Did you download and install the update file first? Then restart the program and perform the update? Here is a link, you need to install the FW update first every time when using the PC software. https://kestrelinstruments.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/66/

Remove your battery and then hold the power button for 10 seconds. Insert a brand new battery and try again.

See above.
So everytime there is a new firmware we have to download and install the Kestrel Link App on the PC? How can this be in 2020? Why cant it just ping a server and do it automatically? That’s all i have to do when i update my router. I login, push the check firmware button and if there is one it does it automatically.

it shouldn’t be this difficult. It’s supposed to be simple.

Thanks for the new update! I was using it today and the compass calibration is way easier. As well, I like that if I set the DOF for all 5 targets, I can then capture the wind for T1 and the wind direction relative to DOF changes for the other targets. My only suggestion would be that perhaps in another update, you could keep the same feature but allow the user to manually input T1 wind direction and speed instead of having to "capture" it. Although the capture feature works well, shooting in mountainous, wooded, or both, areas, I find myself often protected from the wind at my firing position so I'm making a wind call based on what I'm seeing between myself and the target. It would be great if my wind SWAG could be entered for T1 and then populate the wind direction relative to the DOFs of the subsequent targets, if that all makes sense?

You can manually enter any of the wind information without doing a capture. Just highlight Wind Inputs->center button->Highlight Target 1->center button and adjust the wind direction and values to whatever you want.

So everytime there is a new firmware we have to download and install the Kestrel Link App on the PC? How can this be in 2020? Why cant it just ping a server and do it automatically? That’s all i have to do when i update my router. I login, push the check firmware button and if there is one it does it automatically.

it shouldn’t be this difficult. It’s supposed to be simple.

The desktop app doesn't need to be re-downloaded. Simply the FW file update needs to be run.

@Kestrel Ballistics is there a way to get the Kestrel unit itself to live update the output based on wind rather than having to capture wind for a few seconds? I've discovered I can do this by connecting to my phone app and the app will auto update but might be nice to have that ability with the kestrel itself. Thanks!

You can manually enter any of the wind information without doing a capture. Just highlight Wind Inputs->center button->Highlight Target 1->center button and adjust the wind direction and values to whatever you want.

What I meant was have a setting whereby you don't have to "capture" the wind for T1 in order to have the subsequent target's wind "slave" off T1's wind?

After this latest update (by my understanding and as I've tried it) you can set DOF and distance for targets A through E then "capture" the wind for target A, which sets wind speed and direction for target A and also populates that same wind speed info for targets B-E but modifies their wind directions based on how their DOFs vary from target A's DOF. I think this feature is awesome. What I was asking for was the ability to retain that same capability without having to "capture" the wind for target A but instead manually enter it. Does that make sense? I'm not doing the greatest job of explaining this succinctly, haha.

@Kestrel Ballistics is there a way to get the Kestrel unit itself to live update the output based on wind rather than having to capture wind for a few seconds? I've discovered I can do this by connecting to my phone app and the app will auto update but might be nice to have that ability with the kestrel itself. Thanks!

Using a wind vane mount and putting the wind in capture mode you can view it remotely. Pair to a HUD for an easy way to capitalize on this.

Reactions: archangel485
The desktop app doesn't need to be re-downloaded. Simply the FW file update needs to be run.
Understood but why not just open the link app plug in the kestrel with the data cable and push update firmware. If there is one you get a pop up that says new firmware available! Update or cancel.

Understood but why not just open the link app plug in the kestrel with the data cable and push update firmware. If there is one you get a pop up that says new firmware available! Update or cancel.

If you wanted to see something like this, or a different change to the software then send NK a support email! The more users who request a feature the higher priority it will go.