• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Profile beginning with ‘*’

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
Just got set up with the AB Loader and Analytics on a windows computer. When transferring profiles to AB Loader and then back to the Kestrel they now have a ‘*’ in front of the name.

I’ve got all my profiles on the AB Loader now, moving away from the Link App... so far it’s been a little weird as it switched one profile to inches from Mils. I Deleted it from the device, checked it was correct on AB Loader’s profile and it still happened a handful of times. Transferred some other profiles and left them on the device, deleted the problem profile and it reloaded fine...

So what’s the deal with ‘*’ showing up in the profile now?

***UPDATE***

First of thanks for everyone who has tried to help.

The ’ * ‘ appeared after transferring profiles from the Kestrel Link Ballistic App to Applied Ballistics Loader / Analytics and then BACK to the Kestrel (i.e. from Kestrel App -> to AB Loader -> back to Kestrel (from AB Loader).

Spoke with Nick from Applied Ballistics. The ‘ * ‘ has been “written out” by Kestrel. This means when sending profiles from the Kestrel Ballistic App you WILL NOT have an ‘ * ‘ in the front of your Gun Profile Name.

BUT

If you transfer the gun profiles from your Kestrel Ballistic App to AB Loader and then load then back to your Kestrel they will have an ‘ * ‘ in the beginning as I showed in a picture.

IF YOU ARE OCD and do not want the ‘ * ’ in front of the gun profile name simply don’t use AB Loader. I sent the profiles from Kestrel’s Applied Ballistics App to the Kestrel and no ‘ * ‘ now.

I’ve noticed when transferring files back and forth sometimes I would need to check the windage units had not inadvertently changed to inches from Mils. I guess just something to keep an eye on as a side note.

Last edited:
I haven’t messed with kestrel for a bit, but I believe it’s something like spin drift or an angle imputed in.

I’ll check those again but its the name on the kestrel going from R700-175CC to *R700-175CC

Thanks will be nice to know. OCD the character showing up now drives me a little nutty.

On page 6 post #297 its referring to the target line the * appears. This is appearing before my profile name:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 48

Supposedly this was removed in the 1.41 firmware:

If you are on 1.42 perhaps some old code made it back in to this release.

On 1.42... maybe try to reload it?

Attachments

• 68EE2E51-88E1-4599-9A31-4E174494A653.jpeg
    68EE2E51-88E1-4599-9A31-4E174494A653.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 34
Perhaps try a soft reset first:
Take the battery out, hold down power button for 30 seconds, put battery back in.

Hopefully the Kestrel folks will chime in. Reloading the firmware won't hurt anything if you want to give it a try.

Id been doing it via the kestrel Mobile app but have a cable now,can you point me in the right direction to where I can do it that way? Mobile has always been forever

You need the Link for Windows app:

And follow the instructions and pictures here:

Read it carefully, (step 1) having to click the link to actually download the firmware then manually execute it is kludgy and counter intuitive.

Reactions: USMC22
I thought that * was indicitive that specific profile was using the custom curve instead of the G1/G7 bullet profile.

now you got me wondering lol

I thought that * was indicitive that specific profile was using the custom curve instead of the G1/G7 bullet profile.

now you got me wondering lol
Definitely not the custom curve indication. BC turns to 1.000 as you know. I’ve got other profiles not using custom curves and they are all showing the * now. I can’t “Reinstall“ the firmware as its the current version. Tried a reset to factory settings and a soft reset as recommended above... nothing worked.

Here is the 1.41 firmware. You shouldn't be using executables from random people, but can't find a direct link on Kestrel's site so here we are if you can't wait for their rep to respond.

Attachments

• kestrelfirmwareinstaller_141.zip
    14.6 MB · Views: 33
***UPDATE***

First of thanks for everyone who has tried to help.

The ’ * ‘ appeared after transferring profiles from the Kestrel Link Ballistic App to Applied Ballistics Loader / Analytics and then BACK to the Kestrel (i.e. from Kestrel App -> to AB Loader -> back to Kestrel (from AB Loader).

Spoke with Nick from Applied Ballistics. The ‘ * ‘ has been “written out” by Kestrel. This means when sending profiles from the Kestrel Ballistic App you WILL NOT have an ‘ * ‘ in the front of your Gun Profile Name.

BUT

If you transfer the gun profiles from your Kestrel Ballistic App to AB Loader and then load then back to your Kestrel they will have an ‘ * ‘ in the beginning as I showed in a picture.

IF YOU ARE OCD and do not want the ‘ * ’ in front of the gun profile name simply don’t use AB Loader. I sent the profiles from Kestrel’s Applied Ballistics App to the Kestrel and no ‘ * ‘ now.

I’ve noticed when transferring files back and forth sometimes I would need to check the windage units had not inadvertently changed to inches from Mils. I guess just something to keep an eye on as a side note.

Reactions: 6.5SH
@USMC22. I just read your post after I posted my pic. That is exactly what I did. used the loader from my computer. interesting, thanks for staying on top of this and getting to the answer.