• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

kestrel sportsman 5700 question?

stradibarrius

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2017
I received my Kestrel Sportsman 5700 yesterday. I successfully upgraded the firmware. It does not appear to have Applied Ballistics installed.....
So my question is, without the $190 upgrade to Elite, what does the Sportsman 5700 do for me that my smartphone plus Wind Flow unit does not do?
I guess at this point I am disappointed and feel that I spent the money for nothing.

Yes, I went through all the program options, switching from weather to ballistics.

Yea its got it on my 5700 Sportsman just received from Camera Land @gr8fuldoug . If you got one from Camera Land, they 100% have AP on them. Says Applied Ballistics right when you turn it on.... You may want to watch some of the videos, etc. on how to set it up and use it..

Cant really comment as the first time I turned my Sportsman on it was plugged into the computer receiving the Elite download.

Waiting for my Elite firmware to get emailed from Kestrel now. Ordered yesterday.

Was easy, even for a non tech person.

I went with the cord connection.

Havent really had a chance to play with it yet but it was an economical way to get into the weather meter/ballistic game.

Im pairing mine up with a Bushnell ConX RF I found in the PX.

I will call Camera Land, that's where I bought it, and ask the question.
For those of you who have experience with the Sportsman 5700 where do you build ammo profiles? When i built a rifle profile i saw what appeared to be an ammo profile but does that mean you can only build one ammo profile per gun??

For those of you who have experience with the Sportsman 5700 where do you build ammo profiles? When i built a rifle profile i saw what appeared to be an ammo profile but does that mean you can only build one ammo profile per gun??

Sportsman allows you to build 3 rifles.

One of the main reasons I upgraded to elite was I own more than 3 rifles.

Ask them what? If you bought the 5700 Sportsman from them its got AB. Does yours say Applied Ballistics when you power it on? You have it in Ballistics mode, not weather or Easy? Sounds like you need to do some reading and learn how to use your meter.

With the 5700 Sportsman, you can build as many gun/bullet profiles as you want on the LINK app, but you can only load 3 gun/bullet profiles at a time onto the Sportsman. If you upgrade your Sportsman to an Elite you can load 30 gun/bullet profiles onto the Kestrel at a time, and get a range card, and get the Litiz library of custom G1/G7 BC's along with other features. Its a no brainer to me to get a 5700 Elite LINK for $439.99 after the Elite firmware upgrade vs buying an Elite LINK for $699.99.....

Reactions: 1911hombre
Ask them what? If you bought the 5700 Sportsman from them its got AB. Does yours say Applied Ballistics when you power it on? You have it in Ballistics mode, not weather or Easy? Sounds like you need to do some reading and learn how to use your meter.

With the 5700 Sportsman, you can build as many gun/bullet profiles as you want on the LINK app, but you can only load 3 gun/bullet profiles at a time onto the Sportsman. If you upgrade your Sportsman to an Elite you can load 30 gun/bullet profiles onto the Kestrel at a time, and get a range card, and get the Litiz library of custom G1/G7 BC's along with other features. Its a no brainer to me to get a 5700 Elite LINK for $439.99 after the Elite firmware upgrade vs buying an Elite LINK for $699.99.....

i have a non-elite 5700 that's NOT upgraded and it says Applied Ballistics when i turn it on. it's not an indication if you actually have the AB software

I also have a 5700 non-elite Sportsman that has AB and it says AB when I turn mine on. So your saying, my model number (non-elite), which says it has Applied Ballistics right on Cameraland website, and right on Kestrel website, and says Applied Ballastics when I turn it on, doesnt have or isnt an indication of having Applied Ballistics?? Now that makes zero sense

Can you only have one ammo profile per gun? Soif you use more than one ammo for a gun you out of luck

Im actually in contact this morning with Kestrel who I found out are local to me. We discussed setting up a tour/review of Kestrel with video for the Snipers Hide Community which they agreed to once this COVID bullshit blows over. Ill get this cleared up right now for you

I also have a 5700 non-elite Sportsman that has AB and it says AB when I turn mine on. So your saying, my model number (non-elite), which says it has Applied Ballistics right on Cameraland website, and right on Kestrel website, and says Applied Ballastics when I turn it on, doesnt have or isnt an indication of having Applied Ballistics?? Now that makes zero sense

i can't remember where i got mine. it's not the "sportsman" labeled model. it just says "ballistics" printed on the front of the device.

it says Applied Ballistics when i turn it on. but if i remember correctly - it just has a regular ballistics software not the AB software

maybe i'm wrong and i've had AB the whole time? i dunno

Can you only have one ammo profile per gun? Soif you use more than one ammo for a gun you out of luck

You arent out of luck, you create another Gun/Ammo profile. Like I said, watch how to use your Kestrel 5000 series videos or read the manual. All of this is covered, how to use it, how to set it up.

Create as many profiles as you want... Example

26" 6BR / 105 Hyrbid
26" 6BR / 105 Hornady BTHP
26" 6BR / 109 Hybrid

But you can only load 3 at a time onto the Kestrel 5700 Sportsman itself at a time unless you do the Elite upgrade...

Reactions: TACC
I have read the manual that comes with it several times. I will try to find a video that answers my questions. The manual is not very helpful. I

@padom this is what i have. i looked it up. bought straight from Kestrel. here is their product description.

however - mine still says Applied Ballistics when turning it on. i got excited the first time and thought i got lucky.

1588953567435.png

Great news

Looking forward to the kestrel tutorial from the mfger

I set mine up but dont think Ive "pulled" more detailed information into it that may be available.

So I manually entered "175 SMK" with a G1 profile into my gun profile but I think there is the ability to get Bryans more detailed info in there perhaps something tailored to the FGMM my 175 SMK is using.

I went G1 rather than G7 as the limited time using a Kestrel at Sig Academy turned out G1 seemed to give me better ifo for my gun.

Those videos of which you speak would be great though Kestrel already has a bunch on their site.

If you register on the Kestrel site you will also get invites to webinar type classes offered by NK.

I am certain I am not using the Kestrel correctly. I will be putting it through some exercises next Satuday at Sig Academy.

I set mine up but dont think Ive "pulled" more detailed information into it that may be available.

So I manually entered "175 SMK" with a G1 profile into my gun profile but I think there is the ability to get Bryans more detailed info in there perhaps something tailored to the FGMM my 175 SMK is using.

I went G1 rather than G7 as the limited time using a Kestrel at Sig Academy turned out G1 seemed to give me better ifo for my gun.

Those videos of which you speak would be great though Kestrel already has a bunch on their site.

If you register on the Kestrel site you will also get invites to webinar type classes offered by NK.

I am certain I am not using the Kestrel correctly. I will be putting it through some exercises next Satuday at Sig Academy.

I think there is some confusion about the videos. Not videos on how to use a Kestrel. Video reviews of their manufacturing facility and anything else they want to share while Im there.... I just posted videos above that already exist of how to use a Kestrel and set it up. There are tons of them out there.

Reactions: TACC and pmclaine
Does anyone know if they offer the Applied ballistics profile loader for a Mac computer?

Have you used it with the BT dongle? AP website says must use USB cable with 5 series Kestrel

I have not but I’ll try it for you here in a bit and report back.

They sell a specific Bluetooth dongle just for the K5 and Link. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Yes I know, and its less than half the price of the USB Cable which is why I asked. But just reading what Kestrel website says with using AP Profiler and K5 series Kestrels. Says only USB Cable. IDK

I may be incorrect here but I think the Profile Loader possibly predates the Kestrel Ballistics App?

It is indeed odd that the 4500 is BT compatible but the 5700 series is not.

Perhaps @Kestrel Ballistics could shed some light on this matter?

I may be incorrect here but I think the Profile Loader possibly predates the Kestrel Ballistics App?

the 4500 used an older bluetooth protocol. It is compatible with older PCs and stuff but not with mobile devices which use a newer low energy bluetooth protocol.

Reactions: bunsen27

This is what I was wondering as well.... Much easier and convient to use the LINK app on smartphone via BT then having to be at a PC, plugged into a cable to use AB...

Reactions: bunsen27
I think there is some confusion about the videos. Not videos on how to use a Kestrel. Video reviews of their manufacturing facility and anything else they want to share while Im there.... I just posted videos above that already exist of how to use a Kestrel and set it up. There are tons of them out there.

Yes I looked at a lot of those videos and they are very educational.

That Panhandle guy does a great job. The 25 minute setup one he does is about all you need to know.

Yes I know, and its less than half the price of the USB Cable which is why I asked. But just reading what Kestrel website says with using AP Profiler and K5 series Kestrels. Says only USB Cable. IDK

I went with the cable thinking direct connect better assures a non-corrupt communication and I can load from older equipment.

Didnt realize the cable comms was going to be optical but its a solid link and loaded info fast.

NK is good in ensuring closed looping their engineering.

Last edited:
I went with the cable thinking direct connect better assures a corrupt communication and I can load from older equipment.

Didnt realize the cable comms was going to be optical but its a solid link and loaded info fast.

NK is good in ensuring closed looping their engineering.
Having it be a usb-c connection would be awesome especially if it had pass through charging capability for recharging batteries.

OP I hope from the discussion you are getting some information to get you going with your AB Sportsman.

These were intended to be run in conjunction with the Bushnel ConX and Cameraland picked up a good deal on the over run Kestrels that were not packaged with the range finders.

Alot of the set up, communication, AB work would be done automatically when the RF blue tooth comms to the Kestrel.

Question for @padom and @TacticalDillhole .....

If I have input my guns manually in the Kestrel will the meter communicate that info back to the AB profile App and maintain that info in the case I update firmware or whatever and have the meter memory erased?

OP I hope from the discussion you are getting some information to get you going with your AB Sportsman.

These were intended to be run in conjunction with the Bushnel ConX and Cameraland picked up a good deal on the over run Kestrels that were not packaged with the range finders.

Alot of the set up, communication, AB work would be done automatically when the RF blue tooth comms to the Kestrel.

Question for @padom and @TacticalDillhole .....

If I have input my guns manually in the Kestrel will the meter communicate that info back to the AB profile App and maintain that info in the case I update firmware or whatever and have the meter memory erased?
yes

1588958585399.png

Reactions: pmclaine
i can't remember where i got mine. it's not the "sportsman" labeled model. it just says "ballistics" printed on the front of the device.

it says Applied Ballistics when i turn it on. but if i remember correctly - it just has a regular ballistics software not the AB software

maybe i'm wrong and i've had AB the whole time? i dunno

Well I just received this reply from Kestrel regarding your Unit. Should clear things up regarding all 5700 models and if they are using AB...

Hello Dominic,

All 5700, 5700 Sportsman and 5700 Elite models have Applied Ballistics as their ballistic solver. The only one that doesn’t is the 5700 4DOF which uses Hornady’s calculations. There was a point where some windows said Applied Ballistics on them and then there was a change to Elite Ballistics but this has no reflection on the solver being used, they are all using Applied Ballistics.

Hope this clear it up.

Regards,

Joe Racosky
Sustaining Product Manager
Nielsen-Kellerman
21 Creek Circle
Boothwyn, PA 19061
(610)447-1555 ext. 130
[email protected]

I
Well I just received this reply from Kestrel regarding your Unit. Should clear things up regarding all 5700 models and if they are using AB...

Hello Dominic,

All 5700, 5700 Sportsman and 5700 Elite models have Applied Ballistics as their ballistic solver. The only one that doesn’t is the 5700 4DOF which uses Hornady’s calculations. There was a point where some windows said Applied Ballistics on them and then there was a change to Elite Ballistics but this has no reflection on the solver being used, they are all using Applied Ballistics.

Hope this clear it up.

Regards,

Joe Racosky
Nielsen-Kellerman
21 Creek Circle
Boothwyn, PA 19061
(610)447-1555 ext. 130
[email protected]

thank you for that. That seems to contradict their product description.
Good to know

Reactions: TACC and padom

Hello Dominic,

Hope this clear it up.

Regards,

Joe Racosky
Nielsen-Kellerman
21 Creek Circle
Boothwyn, PA 19061
(610)447-1555 ext. 130
[email protected]

Hope you get your $190 for upgrading his meter........

Tagging in for future use. Bought the Sportsman a few months ago, going to pair it with the SIG Kilo 3000BDX. Spoke with Gary at Kestrel and he said it gives the ballistic solution in the binos right after you range a target.