• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel truing challenge

Just bought the Kestrel 5700 Sportsman last week.
Took it out to play yesterday.
I, too, am shooting 140g ELDMs out of a 6.5x47
I have used the
Shooter app on my iPhone for years and all I have to do is put in the info and it is deadnuts on.
Yesterday I found at 440 yards the AB was calling for 0.5-0.75 MOA more than actual drop (and Shooter).
I couldn’t get the numbers to match on both ballistic calculators no matter how hard I tried.
I have checked and rechecked everything.
I can’t understand how it’s off.
I know 440 yards is pretty close, but the wind was howling yesterday.
I bought the Kestrel to be my go to dope calculator instead of my phone.
Maybe I need to play with it more, but it was always so wasy with Shooter.
Look at what the kestrel is using for BC and compare it to the Hornady recommendation. My guess is it is using a 0.291 G7 compared to what Hornady and the bullet says is in the 0.320 range.

Reactions: TACC
I will. I’ll get it to work.
Before with Shooter though I never had to dick with anything. I put in my precisely measured data and the perfect dope popped up.

Look at what the kestrel is using for BC and compare it to the Hornady recommendation. My guess is it is using a 0.291 G7 compared to what Hornady and the bullet says is in the 0.320 range.

Negative. I caught that and changed it before I ever took it out.

Reactions: TACC and seansmd
Lots of info here, will be using it in the near future
Thanks

Reactions: LastShot300
FYI updated to 1.39 and Hornady 140ELDM G7 and CC resolved. Thanks!

What BC should I use for 140gr eld-m in my kestrel 5700 would 0.310 be best I am shooting out to 1000y.
Thanks

Has applied ballistics even fixed the correct G7 BC for 140gr eld-m to enter into kestrel,

Hi I have updated kestrel, applied ballistics bullet library still gives a BC of 0.291 for 140 grain eld-m

Hi I have updated kestrel, applied ballistics bullet library still gives a BC of 0.291 for 140 grain eld-m
Then either they changed it back again or the update didn't take. What version are you showing?

Hi I am using version 1.43 has anyone else got the same problem with BC for 140 grain eld-m

Hi is there any one on this forum from applied ballistics that can sort this problem, I note this post started almost a year ago and the fix has not been found,

Hi is there any one on this forum from applied ballistics that can sort this problem, I note this post started almost a year ago and the fix has not been found,

In the 4DOF, do you guys leave ‘Earth Based Effects’ turned on? Is the aerodynamic jump and spin drift correction typically accurate/needed?

Also, per the explanation of Spin Drift in my attached picture, is this automatically calculated into the overall windage correction?

Attachments

• 9FE39743-42C8-414B-AA3D-AB50A9648A8C.png
    9FE39743-42C8-414B-AA3D-AB50A9648A8C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 57