• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel, valuable tool or waste of money?

Maybe you should go read the posts from the Bryan Litz, & Applied Ballistic Team advocating Station Pressure and advising users NOT to use Barometric Pressure. (Corrected) their kestrel software uses Station Pressure as well they posted they advocated its use with other programs.

0+4 = 4
1+3 = 4
2+2 = 4

congratulations you found a way to get the solution necessary of 4 .

What you can do too is ignore the weather completely, reference your dope then adjust on the second round. I just saved not only time, money, but thinking and understanding.

Gi'day...

Yes, I've used all these techniques...

Started with maps, GPS and (corrected) barometric pressure (and thermometer) and JBM call ups written on range cards (good if you know where you are going to be). Also used Swiss army range cards, which are pretty nifty if you are using GP11 ammo.

Moved to station pressure on my GPS and iPhone app (and thermometer)

Spotter bought Kestrel with Atrac ballistics and we included that in our techniques, although I never liked the G1 based solutions. Still double checked with iPhone using Kestrel data. Main downside was weather can be pretty brutal and iPhone isn't exactly waterproof.

Just ordered a Kestrel with AB ballistics and USB cradle to update it. Due to arrive before our next outing.

Still not a huge fan of the Kestrel UI, but it's certainly an all-in-1 solution.

So, there are more than one way to skin a cat. They all work. But some are much better and easier than others. Some require a lot less knowledge and understanding. Lot less mistake prone. Whatever works for you, but Kestrel is easy and where I'm now at, mainly because it got G7 based solutions, which was the last missing piece.

I will point out that I see a lot of people using JBM-based ballistics cards and even some apps. These people are pretty confident until we start shooting. We are on target in 1-2 shots and they are banging away with no idea where they are.

The problem is that many people just don't understand what all those 40 options and inputs to the JBM site do, and which ones really matter. I spent weeks to educate myself on them all and trying a myriad of options. I get agreement across all my methods, because I understand all these parameters. Many people don't. Previous posts in this thread is a case in point.

Kestrel saves you much of this angst. So figure out how hard you want it to be and how much you want to spend to make it easy and enjoy yourself!

Well this sure got very involved, either way you can make it simple by follwing a few simple comments folks have said here, Coz it wont help making it too in depth with the basics you will make the shot 99% of the time and the rest is down to physics.

john

I bought a Kestrel 4500 w/AB and I can say it has been much easier to learn to use than I expected. I am hoping to get to the range soon to see how close my inputs are and calibrate the MV as needed. I went with the PC interface instead of the blue tooth and it works very well for me.

My focus now is to learn how to use it quickly once a target of opportunity appears at a longer range. Hopefully practice will make perfect.

The Kestrel is a great piece of kit and it's necessary if you're a true student of the craft. I have the 4500NV with BT. I interface it with my Trimble Nomad and FFS. It doesn't get any simpler than hitting the enter button on the Nomad to get current atmospheric data via the BT link.

Do not concern yourself with DA or altitude. DA is a fall back tool, but it's like a surgeon using a butter knife. It's very crude. Bullets don't care about altitude, only the density of the air they're flying through. Both Bryan Litz and Blaine Fields, the author of FFS, say to use station pressure as it's the most accurate. Zero out the reference altitude in your Kestrel so you're getting station pressure. If my Kestrel and Nomad crap out, I can use my GPS to get my altitude and then I'll fall back to my FDAC.

Great thread guys, I have been using an iPad in waterproof case with regular 4500 for enviro data. I run ae ballistics on the pad and can get weather station data and also realtime data vs 4500 as I go off station pressure 90percent of the time. I am now thinking of trying a 4500 with ab, can anyone comment if this data will be any more accurate (I understand the ease of use and all in 1 solution factor) but I love the big scene on the iPad and with waterproof case it's pretty rugged. I am not familiar with accuracy of ae ballistics vs 4500 ab.

Great thread guys, I have been using an iPad in waterproof case with regular 4500 for enviro data. I run ae ballistics on the pad and can get weather station data and also realtime data vs 4500 as I go off station pressure 90percent of the time. I am now thinking of trying a 4500 with ab, can anyone comment if this data will be any more accurate (I understand the ease of use and all in 1 solution factor) but I love the big scene on the iPad and with waterproof case it's pretty rugged. I am not familiar with accuracy of ae ballistics vs 4500 ab.

The AE and Applied Ballistics solvers are virtually indistinguishable - they use the same equations, but solve them in slightly different ways. Both work well if you put in good data.

thats what i figured as long as you pull real time uncorrected date from 4500 and manually enter it results same/same

Acquire temp from station. Acquire Barometric pressure from sensor on phone. Enter into free version of Strelok on phone. Pull trigger.

I got sick of dealing with two devices - esp in bad weather. Now use AB unit with iPhone backup. Works very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the biggest mistake some folks are making is using two gizmos to find the perfect Bullet flight,,, Bottom Line is Bryan is a Wizzard at this and what he has done is create a way of you having all you need in one package along with the saving of batteries weight and time in a product that is Grunt Proof with reliabillity built in,,Where your phones and tabs/ipads will let you down the Krestrels and KestrelABs wont is because they are built to work in the cold in icey conditions and tested by the factory in blocks of Ice etc...

There is not a more complete package out there, and using other gizmos is ok just for doing comparisions but we need to pick one system and stick to it as others have said the more gadgets you use the more confused you will become and likely you will miss the shot

Bottom line is that this is the CURRENT most perfect system and the less weight and room in your pack you have makes room for urm???? BEER, yeahhhhh, just joking

John

All these cool tools regardless are just calculators... Sometimes it is helpful to know WHY things happen not just what numbers to crunch and put in your iWhatever. Not nocking it just saying when you need it most the battery will die/break/getwet/short out/freeze etc etc etc...

All these cool tools regardless are just calculators... Sometimes it is helpful to know WHY things happen not just what numbers to crunch and put in your iWhatever. Not nocking it just saying when you need it most the battery will die/break/getwet/short out/freeze etc etc etc...

Absolutely,,,,,,I think thats why Kestrel Recommend Lithium Batteries so you dont have those type of problems,, My one has still worked at minus 18 deg C and they do test them by freezing them into blocks of ice, If only they made trucks that tough,

But I do remember back in the 90s when we never had such gear or apps and I was shooting at a very high success rate and now with all this gear I have no excuses except its made me lazy or forgetfull,, Must be an age related thing,lol.

but I love how any of the Kestrels can raise the bar and put you on a rock solid platform that give you a place to start making accurite calculations, and thats all we can ask for really.

damn good people,

John

I recently bought a Leica 1600B rangefinder.
It provides temperature, station pressure, and inclination.
If it read wind I could leave my Kestrel 4500 NV at home.

I think thats why Kestrel Recommend Lithium Batteries so you dont have those type of problems

John

Kestrel recommends lithium batteries because they are sealed especially well so the likelihood of chemical leakage from the battery destroying the weather meter is reduced. Lithium batteries are sealed better because lithium is real nasty $hit.

Kestrel recommends lithium batteries because they are sealed especially well so the likelihood of chemical leakage from the battery destroying the weather meter is reduced. Lithium batteries are sealed better because lithium is real nasty $hit.

True But they also have a Ten year shelf life and are more resistand to tempreture and other kinds of abuse along with lasting up to six times longer, Yes the cost more but the extra expence is off set by all the pluses and as you say because they are sealed they wont kill your Kestrel.

John

I used my 4500nv to check the inside temp of my Refrigerator when I thought the milk seemed a little warm.....it was 51 degrees needed to be 36....went the next day and bought a new refrigerator!

True But they also have a Ten year shelf life and are more resistand to tempreture and other kinds of abuse along with lasting up to six times longer, Yes the cost more but the extra expence is off set by all the pluses and as you say because they are sealed they wont kill your Kestrel.

John

Agreed, there are other benefits to lithium batteries. I should get some for my Kestrel... not having to calibrate the compass as frequently is worth the price of admission.

I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question.

I have a 4500NV HORUS and want to set my reference altitude to 0 as per the advice of some of the experienced Kestrel users here. When I go to weather mode, then to altitude to set my reference altitude to 0, it is constantly fluctuating +/- up to 150ft(I think because of temp and pressure changes). Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance and once again sorry if this is a stupid question.

I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question.

I have a 4500NV HORUS and want to set my reference altitude to 0 as per the advice of some of the experienced Kestrel users here. When I go to weather mode, then to altitude to set my reference altitude to 0, it is constantly fluctuating +/- up to 150ft(I think because of temp and pressure changes). Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance and once again sorry if this is a stupid question.

Hello mate,, If you set the REF BARO to 29.92 hgin or 1013.2mbar MAKE SURE you go in to the settings and UNLINK the Baro and ALT settings

Next set you Baros REF Alt at ZERO,,,,,,,,,,,AND set your ALTs REF Baro to 29.92 or 1013.2 mbar that way your Kestrel will be set to station Pressure

make sure the two are not set to SYNC,, ok

John

Kestrel, valuable tool or waste of money?

This is an email from kestrel about that.

Applied Ballistics unit is always going to use Station Pressure in their solution no matter what the user enters into the unit for Reference Altitude. If the user would like to know their station pressure, they can enter 0 in as the reference altitude but this is not necessary. In other words, if the user enters their altitude into the Kestrel, the barometric pressure screen will read the barometric pressure, but the Kestrel will still take the station pressure for the ballistic solution. Station pressure is needed for the ballistic solution but it does not require the user to know their current altitude.

Last edited:
Hello mate,, If you set the REF BARO to 29.92 hgin or 1013.2mbar MAKE SURE you go in to the settings and UNLINK the Baro and ALT settings

Next set you Baros REF Alt at ZERO,,,,,,,,,,,AND set your ALTs REF Baro to 29.92 or 1013.2 mbar that way your Kestrel will be set to station Pressure

make sure the two are not set to SYNC,, ok

John

John,
Ok, thanks so much.
Vivo

Thanks for this thread guys. It's cleared up a lot for me in the use of the kestrel I have.

I have a slightly odd variation to throw into it though. I will repost in it's own little thread if needed, but figured some of you may know the answer.
Does a Suunto Core work similarly to a kestrel in readings? I.e., is it a pressure reading that makes it display the Alt and B.P.? What I am trying to do here is figure out if I can set the Ref Alt to Zero and the Ref Bar to 29.92 and come with an accurate station pressure to plug into Shooter. I have forgotten my kestrel many times in going to the range and after reading this thread came up with the idea of using my watch as a backup. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread guys. It's cleared up a lot for me in the use of the kestrel I have.

I have a slightly odd variation to throw into it though. I will repost in it's own little thread if needed, but figured some of you may know the answer.
Does a Suunto Core work similarly to a kestrel in readings? I.e., is it a pressure reading that makes it display the Alt and B.P.? What I am trying to do here is figure out if I can set the Ref Alt to Zero and the Ref Bar to 29.92 and come with an accurate station pressure to plug into Shooter. I have forgotten my kestrel many times in going to the range and after reading this thread came up with the idea of using my watch as a backup. Any ideas?

Yes it does BUT dont use the ALT by adding them into your software, BECAUSE The suunto's are set to Absolutue Pressure already and by adding the ALT you would mess up the software's Correct Answer, AND WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT alter the baro setting in the Suunto's BARO screen by pressing the top left button and then either the bottom left or the bottom right buttons,

YOU CAN Press and hold the top left button then multipull press'es will let you see the settings and to get out of it press the TOP RIGHT BUTTON,,,,, But DO NOT PRESS THE LOWER TWO BUTTONS IN THIS MODE,, unless you know what your doing and the fact is once you have your KESTREL set to ABSOLUTE/STATION Pressure Then you can correct your watch if needed,

Any Problems Give me a Holler, Ok

good luck John

From Kestrel user manual...

Barometric Pressure and Altitude Adjustment

I admit that the Kestrel manual is a bit confusing talking about reference altitude, but the statement about barometric pressure is clear.
At least for them - it's ALWAYS corrected.

Not wanting to necro this, but I will. Just saw this little bit of info, which is incorrect. If you have a Trimble Nomad with FFS, you can see the raw data coming in from the Kestrel. It comes in as a string of numbers, but you can clearly see that it is not corrected. It is station pressure as this is what the Kestrel reads and uses internally. It only gets corrected when you go entering a reference altitude, which you should not do, contrary to what the manual says. I agree that the Kestrel manual sucks. They sell a lot of these units to shooters (I've bought three) so they should write the manual for shooters.

Do not concern yourself with DA or altitude. DA is a fall back tool, but it's like a surgeon using a butter knife. It's very crude. Bullets don't care about altitude, only the density of the air they're flying through.

Explain this. As I understand it, if you are pulling a true station pressure and all the data is pulled from your location and not corrected for elevation, Density altitude is exactly the info you want to know. It is the use of all of the true location data and shows exactly what the bullet is flying through. Now if you are referring to Topographical altitude then yes that doesn't matter. It is the air the bullet is flying through that matters.

Explain this. As I understand it, if you are pulling a true station pressure and all the data is pulled from your location and not corrected for elevation, Density altitude is exactly the info you want to know. It is the use of all of the true location data and shows exactly what the bullet is flying through. Now if you are referring to Topographical altitude then yes that doesn't matter. It is the air the bullet is flying through that matters.

Not sure I understand your question. If you have station pressure, that is what your ballistic solver needs, so why would you bother with an FDAC? You'd only use an FDAC if you didn't have station pressure and only knew your temp and altitude. LowLight has already gone over what inputs are needed for each method.

DA tables only take into account altitude and temp, but can't account for actual conditions at a given time in a given location. There is no way they could make a table that would be correct for every location as weather changes. They are a rough approximation of what the air thickness should be based on a mathematical computation. The FDAC is like looking in the Farmer's Almanac to see what the weather is like outside.

Station pressure gives you the true conditions at a given location at a given time. Way more accurate. That's why the ballistic calculators use it. They give you the option of entering barometric pressure (normalized station pressure) in the event you don't know your station pressure.

Not sure I understand your question. If you have station pressure, that is what your ballistic solver needs, so why would you bother with an FDAC? You'd only use an FDAC if you didn't have station pressure and only knew your temp and altitude. LowLight has already gone over what inputs are needed for each method.

DA tables only take into account altitude and temp, but can't account for actual conditions at a given time in a given location. There is no way they could make a table that would be correct for every location as weather changes. They are a rough approximation of what the air thickness should be based on a mathematical computation. The FDAC is like looking in the Farmer's Almanac to see what the weather is like outside.

Station pressure gives you the true conditions at a given location at a given time. Way more accurate. That's why the ballistic calculators use it. They give you the option of entering barometric pressure (normalized station pressure) in the event you don't know your station pressure.

I agree Station Pressure,, wind and Temp,, Job Done

Acquire temp from station. Acquire Barometric pressure from sensor on phone. Enter into free version of Strelok on phone. Pull trigger.

There ya go!! A friend introduced me to Strelok and it has worked for me. Bought a 4500NV just before that and leave it in my range bag now......

I am referring to what is on the kestrel. It will give you true station pressure, true temp, and true wind speed at your location.
I understand the barometric pressure and temp are most important.
The 4000 series will also give you da using all of this info. So wouldn't taking the da that the kestrel gives be most accurate as it has done the calculations already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am referring to what is on the kestrel. It will give you true station pressure, true temp, and true wind speed at your location.
I understand the barometric pressure and temp are most important.
The 4000 series will also give you da using all of this info. So wouldn't taking the da that the kestrel gives be most accurate as it has done the calculations already?

No because the DA changes so fast that by time you have finish punching in the numbers you will find the DA would have changed and its a Pain in the A$$, try writing down the DA and see how much it changes and using the DA the best way to do that is to clear the DA's memory and set your app to the Average and you will have to do this everytime, So its far easier to use the Baro,Temp and Wind and not have to stuff around,

john

I just purchased a Kestrel 4500NV, but without Applied Ballistics. The extra $328.00 was not worth the extra expense. However, I do see the benefit of an all in one unit.

My plan is to use the Density Altitude reading from the Kestrel in figuring out my range cards through the use of my FDAC (Field Density Altitude Compensator - Adaptive Consulting and Training Services, LLC). So far, the range card system from Adaptive Consulting and Training Services has been flawless, especially given my use of the 155 grain Scenar (conversion table I can get to anyone upon request). I just wanted to keep everything as analog as possible while getting a more accurate way to read Density Altitude and wind.

No because the DA changes so fast that by time you have finish punching in the numbers you will find the DA would have changed and its a Pain in the A$$, try writing down the DA and see how much it changes and using the DA the best way to do that is to clear the DA's memory and set your app to the Average and you will have to do this everytime, So its far easier to use the Baro,Temp and Wind and not have to stuff around,

john

Isn't the da changing because some of the information it uses has changed? Like barometric pressure or temp?
Forgive me guys as I am trying to learn not be a smartass.
I just purchased a Kestrel 4500NV, but without Applied Ballistics. The extra $328.00 was not worth the extra expense. However, I do see the benefit of an all in one unit.

My plan is to use the Density Altitude reading from the Kestrel in figuring out my range cards through the use of my FDAC (Field Density Altitude Compensator - Adaptive Consulting and Training Services, LLC). So far, the range card system from Adaptive Consulting and Training Services has been flawless, especially given my use of the 155 grain Scenar (conversion table I can get to anyone upon request). I just wanted to keep everything as analog as possible while getting a more accurate way to read Density Altitude and wind.

This is what I was trying to accomplish but with a different tool.

It's pretty simple, your reference altitude has to be set to zero and your Barometric Pressure is set to sea level.

If you watch your altitude, or even DA using a kestrel, you'll see it constantly adjust, not big, but it moves, if you walk out your door in the morning it will give you one altitude and if you walk out later it will read slightly different again. It's because it uses Air Pressure.

Air Pressure, Air Density, is all the bullet cares about. The reason Density Altitude works is, it's where the bullet "thinks" it's at. So while the actual altitude might be 5000ft above sea level, given the conditions it would appear it is at 8000ft or even 2000ft, that doesn't mean that is the actual altitude but it represents a number that works when shooting.

When using battery-less charts, to get your DA you use the altitude you are at, along with the temperature. However depending on the conditions outside and where you are in the world, those numbers can be off by 1000ft DA or more. It's "good enough for government work" is the term. Using Altitude and Temp is a shortcut, using a meter, you want to use the actual DA as noted or if you are using a ballistic computer you use the Absolute Pressure... which mean you don't use Altitude.

I would not use corrected pressure with any ballistic computer, ever... the only time you can consider it, is if you are sitting in a hotel room with no clue what the actual Barometric Pressure is and you have to go by the newsman who is giving your corrected pressure. Then you need altitude.

Programs were not designed to use DA, that was added much later and not all programs allow you to use DA, so why get in the habit. They were written to use the actual data, not shortcut data. If you have a kestrel, use the actual values with the reference altitude set to 0, and the BP set to 29.92. You can record your DA in your log book, but use the real numbers.

This post is along the line of thinking I am on.
I don't understand how one can say that da is crude when using da from a weather station. Da from a piece of paper, yes.

john

John,

So are you saying that the Density Altitude changes so fast that it will significantly change my elevation and wind holds? I would argue that it would not. A swing of about 1,500 to 2,000 DA reading would change my firing solution, but a 250-500 DA change would not. The way you state in this post, that it changes within minutes, will through your firing solution completely off, minute by minute.

From my experience, my bullets fly differently throughout the day. So in the morning, my first shots are right on, but I must change those to compensate for the change in temperature and sometimes pressure. But the actually change is usually 0.1 to 0.2 milliradians out to 800 meters.

Isn't the da changing because some of the information it uses has changed? Like barometric pressure or temp?
Forgive me guys as I am trying to learn not be a smartass.

This is what I was trying to accomplish but with a different tool.

Well yes thats what we all use them for but the problem is DA changes so much IE when you start to read the DA it might read 1423 and by time you punch in the DATA into your App it could be reading 1503 so Which set of number are you going to enter??? 1423 or 1503 or maybe 1463 which is the halfway mark and by the time you have worked out how much DA you are going to type in it could of droped again to 1387,

A differance of 40 DA is not going to make that much differance, so If you punch in the Baro Wind and Temp it will workout its own average DA anyway, job done.

john

Holy fuck, Some peoples comments make my head hurt. Read and follow Lowlights comments in this and other threads on this topic and you won't go wrong, especially if you're shooting at greater distances than 1000m. It's Monday isn't it? :D

The Kestrel or equivalent is an essential tool for long range shooting, especially if you are serious about honing your skill.

As far as batteries, please, grow up, when you get the meter, throw away the supplied batteries and buy a set of Energizer Lithiums and move on down the road. Last forever and will not spill battery fluid. If you're the kind of guy that uses the supplied batteries, like the ones that came with your TV's remote, you're just cheap and lazy. Batteries are the operators responsibility, never the manufacturers. Even NF says, "remove batteries when not in use" because they don't want people ruining a $10k piece of kit with a 50 cent battery. They just stamp it on the housing. Lithium batteries don't suffer the problem like regular ones do.

Frank. I just received my new Kestrel 4500NV and they CAME WITH the Energizer Lithiums! Wow. I am VERY impressed with this type of attention to detail.

Kestrel just rocks. I would highly recommend anyone considering a weather meter to go with the Kestrel.

You can round DA to the nearest 500ft in some cases even the closest 1000ft... you don''t need the exact number, it's a wide range field solution and not an exact number like Baro or Temp.

You can round DA to the nearest 500ft in some cases even the closest 1000ft... you don''t need the exact number, it's a wide range field solution and not an exact number like Baro or Temp.

Yes Mate, your spot on there, it drives me Nuts the way it flutuates I have spent many hours doing it your way and it works, So theres no point in reinventing the wheel.

I think alot of people try so hard to find the perfect solution in desparation that some of these Apps/meters Readings make a cross for our own Backs,

good to see ya LL,

John

I think lowlight said it correctly when he said its another "Tool" for you to use. If your shooting at the same range all year long then you may not need one. But if you travel to matches and or you shoot past 1000yds then you do need one. DA is really important to know when shooting in the 1000+ out to a mile. You will find a lot of difference in your data at say 1400yds if its set for 1500ft elevation and the DA for that day is 5000ft. I don't use the Iphones or other fancy stuff I still have my data cards and have them made up for the different altitudes "I" will run into in my AO.

My different altitude cards start at 700yds and go out to 1700yds in 1000ft elevations from 3000 to 6000ft. Works well for me. My so in law has the electronic apps and we both shoot 284s with the same loads and my data is usually right on or within .5moa of his. Sometimes mine is right sometimes his is. I have the Kestrel 4000. Just my thoughts on it.

Well, it would appear that my Kestrel is broken, right out of the box. The electronic compass is reading as if the it is spinning. I have calibrated it several times, some with the impeller in it, some without. I have the shield set between the batteries.

What happens is that if the unit powers off or "sleeps", it will lose the calibration. Once I calibrate it, the electronic compass works great. My friend, who has the same 4500NV but with Applied Ballistics, did not have that problem at all.

The bummer of it all, Amazon not replace it and will only accept a return because I received such a good deal on it. I guess if I want to it to work properly, I have to pay an extra $100.00.

At this point, I wonder if they are really necessary. I would only use it to calculate Density Altitude. And I can do that already with a graph. Sigh...