• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel vs Caldwell wind meters

jeffersonv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
SoCal
The Caldwell must not work at all compared to the Kestrel because the Kestrel is like 10 times the price and I don't ever see the Caldwell mentioned.

Really?

I don't need to impress anyone with the Kestrel if the Caldwell will give me accurate readings.

Re: Kestrel vs Caldwell wind meters

I have a caldwell and its readings are way off. I was down at RO and everyone was taking readings with there Kestrels, I glanced back and forth at there's and mine, and sure enough mine was way off. I have a Kestrel now and its money, not to mention the BP and Altitude ext.. is really nice to have. I found one used for a lot less than new.

The Caldwell...in a word...is SHITE!!! They are awful! Unreliable, don't read accurately (when they work at all), piss poor construction, limited battery life, and they are prone to breakage (the blades on the meter stick or break and the battery doors won't stay latched just to name a few things). The only thing that functions correctly (most of the time) is the @#$%^&* thermometer.

Buy once...cry once. Get the Kestrel and don't look back.

There is a kestrl GB going on in the group buy section!!

depending on your needs krestels can be had for good prices.

i just sold a 2500 for $125 and picked up a 4000 as a replacelment for $180

to me they are worth the money

we spend thousands on rifles, optics, travel and expenses to shoot whats a few hundred for proper info and data

Caldwells suck. Mine pooped out after just a few readings.

I bought a Kestrel and aint looked back.

I have a Kestrel 4500NV and had it a couple of years. The other lads and instructors have numerous types but no one else has a kestrel and mine always has different readings to there silva/bruntons etc.
Has anyone had any issues with the screen fading though the batteries are 80% plus strength?
The weather was warm so not a cold issue and does anyone use lithium batteries in theres?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Caldwell must not work at all compared to the Kestrel because the Kestrel is like 10 times the price and I don't ever see the Caldwell mentioned.

Really?

I don't need to impress anyone with the Kestrel if the Caldwell will give me accurate readings. </div></div>

Maybe you should want to impress others as you would probably end up with some better gear !

Bootleg -I have the same model and changed the batteries at 30% as the screen wouldnt do what I wanted when pushing a button -other than that what a great piece of equipment with many relavent function.

I picked up a Caldwell for $25.... and got exactly what I paid for....a $25 anenometer..... Precision/reliable equipment costs... how much/important is your next shot worth to you? I get closer readings using environmental indicators & mirage than from my caldwell.... The thermometer is pretty close though! LOL!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Caldwell must not work at all compared to the Kestrel because the Kestrel is like 10 times the price and I don't ever see the Caldwell mentioned.

Really?

I don't need to impress anyone with the Kestrel if the Caldwell will give me accurate readings. </div></div>

I worry more about impressing myself by purchasing GOOD Equipment!!! There is a reason the good shit costs more than Chicom CRAP. Kinda like comparing a Harris USA made Bipod to a Caldwell POS.I could go on for days about this crap.....

Rant Over!!!!!

I had a Kestrel 4500NV just sold to upgrade to the BT model, never had a caldwell, and never will... I like the Kestrel and the additional features.

Have had a Kestrel for YEARS, and it has been reliable and user friendly. You get what you pay for...