• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel ??? which one

tridiumk

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2014
Up till this point, i use istrelok for my dope. But i'm just guessing all the factors...

I'm looking at a weather station...

I was going to just go ahead and buy the Kestrel 4500NV Applied Ballistics, but i noticed it isnt compatible with a MAC, and that put me off a little and got me thinking.

Is this handheld the best?
is there anything else i can look at?
Should i just buy a Kestrel 4500 without the ballistics and jsut continue to use istrelok ?

My vote is the 450 NV AB BT model. I have one and I run mac.

Hi, so it works on a MAC for sure.... not windows running on a Mac..?

Also, just wondering, someone tried to tell me that the 4500 NV wont run without a phone etc for it to connect to, which i claim 'bullshit' on. It seemed pretty straight forward to me that it gave DOPE settings direct to you from the device and that the device is stand alone when out in the field...

ALso, you mean 4500, not 450 right?

Also, just wondering, someone tried to tell me that the 4500 NV wont run without a phone etc for it to connect to, which i claim 'bullshit' on. It seemed pretty straight forward to me that it gave DOPE settings direct to you from the device and that the device is stand alone when out in the field...

They were probably referring to using the non-Applied Ballistics version for shooting. With the non-AB 4500 you still need a ballistics calculator.

Up till this point, i use istrelok for my dope. But i'm just guessing all the factors...

I'm looking at a weather station...

I was going to just go ahead and buy the Kestrel 4500NV Applied Ballistics, but i noticed it isnt compatible with a MAC, and that put me off a little and got me thinking.

Is this handheld the best?
is there anything else i can look at?
Should i just buy a Kestrel 4500 without the ballistics and jsut continue to use istrelok ?

The Kestrel 4500 AB is a Peach, But if you are using Strelok Pro then you might just want the 4500 with Bluetooth because the Pro version has spindrift and Coriolis etc factored in and it will talk to the Kestrel and you could save $300+

The 4500 AB is nice but then you wont need other gizmo's and as always It has Brians Wisdom built in to it and the man is just a holler away, don't get no better than that,

good luck John

I run a WinVM in a mac. Its not that hard and getting a win license is super simple. You dont even really need to activate Win as little as you'll use it. Yes I mean 4500. There are multiple versions of the 4500NV. A straight 4500NV will only give you atmospheric conditions of which you'll need to manually enter into your phone ballistics program, the BT version will sync with your phone using BT, the Horus or AB versions have a built in ballistic calculator and can be used stand alone. You can do the comparison of options on the Nielsen-Kellerman site or one of their sub sites.

4500NV with AB is the way to go

having a lesser Kestrel and the AB App on your phone provides no difference though right ? Except that you have to carry around both devices, but i always have my iPhone with me when hunting anyway ...

having a lesser Kestrel and the AB App on your phone provides no difference though right ? Except that you have to carry around both devices, but i always have my iPhone with me when hunting anyway ...

Yes it is the same, so if you have the App anyway you might as well get the Bluetooth 4000/4500 and leave it at that just make sure you get the Bluetooth model so you don't have to enter all the Data manually,

John