• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keto Weight Loss Plateau

Lots to unpack there.

The reason you don't feel as hungry on a ketogenic diet is protein is extremely satiating and fat slows absorption out of the stomach. When you limit carbohydrates and starve your body of glucose the liver starts to produce ketones. The process involves no having enough insulin production to turn glucose into energy. Ketones are produced from fat as an energy source.

Most of the weight loss that people experience isn't from magic. Really comes from caloric restriction as you are removing a macronutrient and filling up one protein (satiating) and fat (slows absorption).

If you track your macros and eat in a caloric restriction the scale heads in the right direction. I have seen many people not lose weight on ketogenic diet because they eat like starved hogs then say, "This ketogenic thing is is bullshit."

I recommend if you are serious about losing weight then track your total calories each day and look at the average over 7 days.

If you want to put on muscle eat a high protein diet and lift some heavy weights.

P.S. And since we are posting meat pictures - here are two bone in ribeyes I cooked the other day.

I like your meat.

• Haha
Reactions: JRaven and Geno C.
5-6 days of fat fast will help break the plateau " A Fat Fast is short, 3 to 5 day cycle when you follow a strict weight loss meal plan to induce ketosis and break through any metabolic stalls. When used in addition to your regular low carb healthy diet plan, your Fat Fast jump starts weight loss whether you’re going low carb for the first time or powering through a plateau. " https://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html

One possible reason for a stall in weight loss assuming your not weight training where you can be in a re composition is if your calories are to low. Lots of people start out on a (pick your diet of the week) and get aggressive with calories right off the bat. It’s great for the first couple months but than your metabolism adapts and everything comes to stand still. Its even worse if you are already doing a lot of cardio because you are painted into a corner with nowhere to go. It’s like if you start a marathon like a sprinter at the start it’s great your leading the pack but by the time you get half way your gassed and start falling behind. Slow and steady is the secret to get your weight loss back on track, take your maintenance calories knock a few hundred calories off to get into a slight deficit. If it slows again you can just drop a few more calories or throw in cardio as needed to maintain about 1/2lb per week weight loss between cardio and calories you always have a way to keep the program on track. I would also suggest not letting yourself get to tied down by macros unless you are forced to for medical reasons otherwise try to get a good amount of protein and stay in a caloric deficit.
This is geared more for someone whos already been dieting for some time when you first start you can drop 10lbs in a couple weeks with small changes like not drinking pop etc hahaha.

I'm 34 and had been gaining weight gradually since high school. I was an athlete in high school and in very good shape and after school ended and real life with work, marriage, kids, etc happened I started gaining weight. I 6'1" and weighed about 185 in high school and I had got up to around 220 and stayed there for several years until I started gaining again a few years ago. This June I got up to my all time high of 261, and knew I had to make changes. I started the keto diet at the beginning of July and have gone from 261 down to my current weight of 226. I saw a very rapid weight loss the first month and a half and then it has gradually slowed until now, where I have been at roughly the same weight for a couple weeks now with no change at all.

Have any of you on keto experienced one of these "plateaus" like this before? If so how did you get out of it? My goal weight is 200, I would still have a little fat at that weight but would be pretty slim and healthy. I'm worried these last 25 pounds are going to be really hard to get off. I assume my metabolism has slowed to the point where my calorie deficit isn't doing much for me anymore, but I already feel like I am eating about as few calories as I can get away with. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Try Intermittent fasting. I.E forgo an evening meal. or allow at least 16 hours between eating and do it infrequently. Your body is programmed to run with regularity this interrupts that regularity then you go back to your Keto diet. Regards Danny

Check out the book Carnivore code by dr Paul saladino. He stresses the importance of organ meats and why you should avoid linoleic acid found in all vegetable oils.

Lots of folklore, wizards and magic in this thread.

A few tips for anyone who may have stalled or are feeling a little discouraged.

Track your waist circumference too. Whether it’s with an actual measurement or with a pair of pants that don’t quite fit but is a goal to fit

Track your weight daily but wait until the end of the week to calculate an average. You should still see a weekly decline even through daily fluctuations

I understand that, I remember when I first started to use the supplements from https://www.healthcanal.com/supplements/260175-gundry-md-tritrim.html, I was feeling the same effect. I always had this opinion that a strict diet, and food supplements, are very important things in losing weight, it's sad that some people don't understand that, they think that you have to just train at the gym, but the truth is that this is not sufficient. Furthermore, I am sure you guys will agree with me. Have a nice one.

Last edited:
Your body is a very smart and complex machine, it adjust to the amount of calories you take in.
Change up your routine, eat more calories for 2 weeks or so.

Keto is a non sustainable diet. Yeah you’ll lose weight. And yes youll plateau. Only way to start losing again is to gradually come off out of keto. Eat a balanced diet for a few months. Then renter ketosis. I’ve been doing this shit for years. Have kept 50lbs off. If you think you’ll push through a loss plateau while on keto by lifting / exercising more you better be ready for disappointment.

Keto is a non sustainable diet. Yeah you’ll lose weight. And yes youll plateau. Only way to start losing again is to gradually come off out of keto. Eat a balanced diet for a few months. Then renter ketosis. I’ve been doing this shit for years. Have kept 50lbs off. If you think you’ll push through a loss plateau while on keto by lifting / exercising more you better be ready for disappointment.
Usually 2 to 3 weeks is sufficient

I don’t trust any diet that eliminates one of the macros.

I think you should be required to post before and after pics before you are allowed to recommend a workout or diet program.

Just say no to bro science...

I have recommended this book before, if you want to lose weight it's the best there is. When I started doing it I dropped 30 pounds so fast people thought that I should go get checked for cancer or something. Hi have since fallen off the waggon put 20 pounds back on but ice cream will do that to you.
91rcS8iIJxL.jpg

Ive been steady with it 3 years now.

Not strict....my only goal is limit carbs to the greatest extent possible, check labels and eliminate "added sugars". I dont eat pizza, pasta, bread, french fries, ice cream/cake etc.

Great lab numbers through 3 physicals.

Love everything I eat.

I've always gone by the food consumption regime by sticking to: "If you cant grow it, catch it or shoot it.....Don't put it in your mouth." Meats & veggies and a little bread and that's it(I'm a sucker for fresh baked bread) Which, if I'm not fully mistaken, is pretty darn close to Keto.

Also, if you need a little "in your face" factor.....Listen to the audiobook "Can't hurt me' by David Goggins. Losing weight just by diet alone is all in your head and BS. Proper diet is only 1 part of that. Put on your damn shoes on and start sweating. You'll lose the fat weight and gain muscle weight. ;)

We have been getting lied to by our govt.

The shit they recommend is more about making their friends wallets fat and it has been doing same to us.

All started about 1975 or so and its effects on general pop are evident now that its firmly entrenched for a couple generations.

Think about eating circa 1950 vs now.

Reactions: MJF
Keto is horseshit. You're just tricking your body into doing something that is not natural. The Whole30 diet is more of a long-term solution

Keto is horseshit. You're just tricking your body into doing something that is not natural. The Whole30 diet is more of a long-term solution

Respectfully disagree.

Realized it works by observation of my daughters Type 1.

I dont think there is any gimmick.

Its just not eating shit.

Its eating the stuff we have evolved to eat.

Maybe equatorial people should avoid keto but if you are a cold climate person find me carbs in nature during the cold months.

Inuit agree with this theory.

Keto dies is the default diet for many Siberian and Inuit tribes, it has been for thousands of years.

I highly doubt that they were counting net carbs and grams of fat in order to burn body fat.

It's not about a diet.

It's about eating better food and avoiding the shit that goes in and just turns to bad health.

Weight loss is just a plus.

I dropped about 35 lbs since Beginning of Oct and I’m down to 34” waist. I consume less carb, sugar and processed food. My first meal is around 11am and my last meal at 5pm. Usually I eat two meal per day. I replaced my snack with Costco microwave popcorn and cashews nuts. After a while I don’t have craving for pizza, fries, donut, pasta. If anyone want to lose weight, try eat slower. Let your stomach feel how much food you really ate. I still do eat whatever I want to, but in small portions. I replace my dishes and bowl in small size. Watching my 600 lbs life show works for me from over eating

Last edited:
I can't say that I'm overweight, but I'd like to lose fat on my upper body. My legs look pretty skinny if compare them to my torso. I tried Keto, but I didn't feel good, so I quit it.
What didn’t feel good? Are you talking about having carb cravings?

i totally feel you at 30 I was still climbing trees everyday now after the stroke Id be lucky if I don't fall on my face getting up to use the bathroom take it in stride and eat that horse you fell off of it ain't going to get easier as you get older if your lucky your just going to get older do what you can to hold onto your fine feminine figure cause it's going to take a lot . but you can do it . lol best of luck to you and always remember
Somethings in life are bad , they can really make you mad . others make you want to swear and curse , when your chewing on life's gristle don't grumble give a whistle

The initial weight drop of a ketogenic diet is mostly water as the ketogenic diet has a diuretic effect. From there on out the fat lost should be slow and steady. It didn't say in your initial post if you are exercising regularly. If not, this should be your next step. 3 days a week full body basic 5x5 workout routine is all you need. Adding some muscle will raise your basil metabolic rate. Give yourself a re-feed meal once a week. Lastly, dont become obsessed with numbers on the scale. It can become counter productive. Focus on how you look and feel. Take progress pictures to use as motivation and also to see how far you have come as it's easy to forget.
Thanks this helps alot.

Diets are absolutely not my things. I better do some meditation and "except myself the way i am" :LOL:
The point of the keto diet isn’t for it to be “a diet”. You need to stop eating the things that make you sick & fat and start eating real foods that heal you. Then once you get your metabolic health under control and your weight comes down to an acceptable level you can start to eat some of that tasty garbage again on rare occasions as a treat

Edit to add
: Please don’t think I’m being condescending about this either. I still have my slip-ups on occasion. Whether it’s a breakfast burrito or some ice cream, I still have the cravings that make my skin crawl and I give in

Last edited:
Ive never had a bad Keto meal, well almond yogurt sucks, but everything else is tasty...

Once in awhile Ill hit some ice cream which is immediatly followed by a roaring headache that makes me think it wasnt worth it.

Reactions: The D
Ive never had a bad Keto meal, well almond yogurt sucks, but everything else is tasty...

Once in awhile Ill hit some ice cream which is immediatly followed by a roaring headache that makes me think it wasnt worth it.
Most of my keto meals are just meat and/or eggs so that’s delicious. Occasionally we’ll go to a pizza place that has a keto crust that’s not too horrifying and I load it up with meat & cheese. I could go the rest of my life without having another salad and be perfectly fine, plants are overrated

I’m not fond of the almond or coconut dairy shit. If I want some yogurt I just eat some real yogurt, either some homemade stuff or an Icelandic brand called Siggi’s

And for real, if I couldn’t cheat with some real ice cream without getting a raging headache I’d probably off myself. Some real, high fat ice cream is my kryptonite

You don’t need to jump straight to zero or super ultra mega low carb overnight. One of the biggest diet problems I’ve come to realize is how damaging seed oils are and how much of this toxic garbage is in every packaged product. If you can;

1) cut out seed oils as much as possible, as soon as possible

2) cut down on packaged carbs as much as possible

3) cut super processed sugar products out as much as possible

This will go a long way towards returning you to metabolic health which will have the side effect of weight loss. Then you can start fiddling with removing other potentially toxic foods in relation to your specific needs/goals

It's telling how many keto folks on this thread have huge weight swings up and down. Keto, is not sustainable, as others have noted. The big secret to weight loss is eating right, and exercising. Keto doesn't cause weight loss because of some magic, it works because you stop eating so much processed crap every day. But you still need to eat a balanced diet if you want to make a long-term lifestyle change.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Eh, sort of.

Not eating processed garbage is just one key, although it is a major key. Plenty of people have long term success with keto, whether they cheat or not. It’s about being consistent with the proper foods and also being consistent about not giving in to the temptations of the delicious processed garbage that is available everywhere

Remember, keto isn’t necessarily about eating, or not eating, X foods. The only requirement for “keto” is being in ketosis. Some people can be in sustained ketosis and be totally fine. Other people have some problems if they’re in ketosis for a long time. Everyone is a little different

Reactions: Simonsza1
Think of this way, u want a healthy diet at your age group. If you are not active , cut off/limit all unnecessary sugar, carbs and seed oil. Enjoy your meat, veggies. My blood pressure back to my healthy early 20s years range once I cut off most refined sugar /carbs. You don’t have to buy food labeled as keto. Consume foods that don’t spike your blood sugar off the chart. Your body/organ needs to work extra hard to level out the body blood sugars.

Reactions: The D
I did religious keto. Very strict. I even bought a blood sugar monitor and blood keto test strips. Loads of plateaus along the way but I went from 500 to 220 in 8 months.

I went on fasting streaks, 24,48,72 and Upto 5 day fasts.

Loads of cardio, mostly running. Did like 600 miles in those 8 months.
Covid fuxked me up and I gained 100lbs back but I’m still way under where I was and I’m already starting to shed the poundage.

1673908619662.jpeg

I did religious keto. Very strict. I even bought a blood sugar monitor and blood keto test strips. Loads of plateaus along the way but I went from 500 to 220 in 8 months.

Covid fuxked me up and I gained 100lbs back but I’m still way under where I was and I’m already starting to shed the poundage.

View attachment 8049527

Good on you to stick with it man!

View attachment 8049527
Good job brother!

• Love
Reactions: Sextus

View attachment 8049527
This is awesome, congratulations

I’ve heard of some sleep, heart palpitation, and/or electrolyte issues associated with some people doing pretty hardcore keto. Do you have any weird things going on?

This is awesome, congratulations

I’ve heard of some sleep, heart palpitation, and/or electrolyte issues associated with some people doing pretty hardcore keto. Do you have any weird things going on?
All of the above.

I started to sleep a lot less, but I felt fully recharged. I also had to regulate my electrolytes. I started taking salt and potassium in larger doses. 1 Tbsp of each. Yeah…

But honestly, it was fine. A few spooks along the way but nothing wild.

Congrats It’s the best thing you can do for yourself and family.
You can monitor yourself with Keto piss strips from the pharmacy, they’re relatively cheap.

Second the intermittent fasting.
It works for pets as well. I knew someone who breed working dogs and he’d feed em every other day.

If you do some research you’ll find traditional peoples whos diets range from mostly starch to pure meat and fat. They’re both specimens

I think it’s the seed oils, sugar/fake sugar and processed foods that are keeping us dependent on medical and pharmacological interventions.

Make sure your drinking lots of water

I did a water fast for 48hours. The weird thing happen after 48 hours is my head / mind never been so clear. I never felt that in my whole life. I do 24 water fast once every month.