• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KIDD 10/22 build... Need Help!!

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
I'm getting lots of light primer strikes on my new KIDD build. Out of 25 rounds yesterday, 10 were light strikes and also getting a lot of FTE
Are there any fixes for it?
I have shot over 3k rounds of the cci quiet ammo and never 1 misfire.
KIDD told me it has to do with the 25 round magazine that I'm using because it is heavy and does not allow the rounds to feed completely into the chamber. The lady told me to go buy a 10 round magazine and see if that works. I'm thinking either my trigger spring is a little light or I need to get the magnum spring. Im using the Subsonic spring KIDD supplied for the bolt. I also have a suppressor on the rifle as well which does cause back pressure to cycle the bolt better.
So I bought a 10 round ruger mag.. Same issues!! Out of a 10 rounder, had about 4 light strikes and failures to extract. I am using CCI Quiets for ammo. Thinking the box may be bad, I opened another box of CCI quiets and still the same issue. The empty case is getting hung up on the bolt between the bolt and receiver.
So, I tried Remington Subsonic thinking the CCI don't have enough a*s to cycle the bolt. The CCIs are going about 710fps and the Remington are about 1050fps. Yea, the same issue with light strikes and failure to extract with the remingtons! I tried dropping rounds into the chamber and they seem to be a little tight fit going in. Once fully seated, they are a little pain to remove with your fingers. It seems as if they are jammed into the chamber (see pic below)

So I must say that I am more than pis*ed with this setup! $1300+ later and I pretty much have a rifle that does not shoot!! I NEVER had this issue with the 3factory Ruger 10/22's that I bought from Walmart over the past 8 years.. Reading up on this website for awhile now and determined that KIDD was the way to go. Im NOT bad mouthing KIDD, they answer when you call and try to resolve the issue. But I didn't think I would have these issues with a brand new build..

Will cutting a few coils off the subsonic spring help with the extraction with the lighter loads?

EDIT- Just got off the phone with KIDD and explained the situation to them. They are sending me a stronger "Plunger Spring" to help keep the magazine more firmly in place..

Here is a pic of a failure to go into battery. At the point you see the round, it takes some good pressure to forcefully push the round into the chamber

8C7E01E1-A198-4462-8227-F6DE4BEF62CF-9949-000008C59BCC3FA1_zps29420efe.jpg

Here is the "light strike" round. The firing pin impact is at the 9 o'clock position.
646DF616-92AE-4223-BBD9-4CFFA136D30D-9949-000008BFA2F1DA32_zps9b908516.jpg

I just gave the rifle a good in-depth cleaning from back to front incase I missed anything. Lightly oiled her up and loaded up the magazine............... Was able to get about 3 rounds off before the same issues came up. I am now convinced this puppy is a lemon.
Ive been searching the web for awhile now, and I cant seem to find how a stronger "Plunger Spring" will cure these issues..

If you chamber a round and extract it without firing, is the bullet engraved by the rifling? Who's barrel, KIDD or someone else's? Sounds like you may have a problem with either a tight chamber, match chamber that isn't allowing rounds to fully chamber without engraving the rifling, or a really dirty chamber. When you cleaned it, did you scrub the chamber thoroughly? My 10/22 has a KIDD bolt, KIDD 2 stage trigger assembly, and a Green Mountain target barrel with the Bentz chamber. It's tighter than a factory barrel, but it doesn't engrave the bullet the way my 1913 Anschutz does. It's possible that the bolt isn't going all the way into battery if the rounds are so hard to chamber. If that's the issue, it could cause the light strikes and it could also cause a case to rupture from not being properly supported.

It's a Kidd 20" bull barrel. No clue what chamber I have. The entire rifle is Kidd except for the stock. I do think the chamber is tight because after a good barrel scrubbing the bullet will gravity drop fully into the chamber. After it gets dirty, i catch hell

Edit.. I just watched his Barrel video. If I understood him right, they cut their chambers a little smaller than everyone else to prevent "wobble" of the case as it enters the chamber. So my Kidd chamber is two thousandths smaller than the bentz.

Last edited:
Sounds like you'll have to keep the chamber cleaned frequently. I don't understand their logic that a stronger plunger spring will help things. Unless the magazines are dropping down a little causing the rounds to bind as they chamber. The plunger spring in my KIDD trigger assembly holds the magazine in proper alignment. When you chamber a round after a through cleaning, does the bolt close with authority or does it seem sluggish? If you extract one of the chambered rounds, does the bullet look like it's scuffed on one side from being chambered at too extreme an angle? When you say failures to extract, are the cases staying in the chamber, or are they clearing the chamber but not being properly ejected out of the receiver? I had that issue with my 10/22 take down and it was caused by the extractor not properly holding the case to the bolt face as the case was trying to spin off the bolt face and out the ejection port. The KIDD bolt assemblies usually don't have that issue. For the light strike issue, I would just order one of their magnum hammer springs.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE !!!!!!
I put some Remington HV rounds in the 10 round Ruger magazine and not one single issue. So I loaded up the Ruger 25 round mag and same thing. ALL the rounds cycled with out fail!
I did put back in the "normal" KIDD bolt spring. Also, I ran some CCI subsonics (1050fps) rounds through her and not one failed round!! All 45 rounds went bang.. I did try the CCI Quiet again and they wouldn't cycle the bolt for me.
Guess there is not enough a*s behind the CCI Quiet and Remington Subsonic to cycle the 10/22 reliably!

When you chamber a round after a through cleaning, does the bolt close with authority or does it seem sluggish? A little sluggish

If you extract one of the chambered rounds, does the bullet look like it's scuffed on one side from being chambered at too extreme an angle? NO

When you say failures to extract, are the cases staying in the chamber, or are they clearing the chamber but not being properly ejected out of the receiver? Issues coming out of the receiver..

It's interesting that Remington subsonics aren't cycling for you. I've used those since they came out in several semi-automatic 22's without any issues. CCI does have a disclaimer about the Quiet 22 round cycling semi-autos on their website "These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual cycling of the action may be required." You may be best off leaving the gun set up to run regular ammo and just hand cycle the Quiets in your 10/22.

Sounds like you were having a failure to eject which could be caused by weak ammo, the round not being ejected by the magazine, or the extractor hook. Believe it or not, the case is actually ejected by that tiny corner on the magazine feed lip. The rifles ejector only comes into play if you single load the rifle without a magazine. Now if your magazine isn't being held in properly by a weak plunger spring, then I suppose the case could slip by and not be properly ejected. Most likely though, if the back of the magazine is drooping that much, it would also cause feeding problems. Now for the extractor hook issue, look at this link John Picher's Extractor Tuning - RimfireCentral.com Forums This is the problem I had with my brand new 10/22 Take Down. I never knew the extractor was so critical for proper ejection until I had the issue. Now if the bolt assembly you're running is the complete KIDD assembly, you really shouldn't having that issue. That thread at Rimfire Central will show you what to look for.

My older 10/22 that has the KIDD trigger, KIDD bolt assembly and Green Mountain barrel is still running it's original 31 year old recoil spring. That spring had about 10,000 rounds on it within the first two years. After all these years, it's still cycling fine. When you said it's closing a little sluggish, is that with the regular spring or the lighter one? Even with a brand new standard spring, you will get a slight decrease in bolt speed as it strips a round and chambers it, but it shouldn't seem sluggish. It looks like you're a new KIDD receiver. My receiver is the original and is well worn and slick. Yours may need a little breaking in.