• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kifaru pack fans? Anyone with a scabbard setup?

Crang

What me worry?
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2006
    Texas Hills
    Toying with the idea of getting a Kifaru frame and having a couple different pack setups to consolidate all my packs. I have a couple of plain jane backpacking trips coming up and need a new pack anyways. As pricey as the Kifaru stuff is I can justify it if it replaces a few things. My neck/back is a bit fucked up from a bad airboat wreck and their frame seems to be the best at keeping weight on the hips and not the shoulders/neck. The duplex frame and 44 mag bag will work fine for my 7-10 day long regular hiking/camping trips.

But what I really want to know if someone has figured out a setup that would replace my Ebrelstock X31 LoDrag. Basically a rifle scabbard between the frame and about a 30-40L pack for shooting supplies behind that? For transportation reasons I like the fully covered rifle scabbard plus pack of the Ebrlestock but the default Kifaru options all have the rifle exposed for quick access which is not a need for me. Pics would be helpful- suspect it can be done but havent seen anything like that.

Last edited:

I have no experience with this product. I do have experience with a Kifaru fulcrum on their 24" frame. Phenomenal pack that works well as a daypack or as a monster for long trips. I have to say I really like their standard gun bearer for carrying a rifle while still having decent access.

I don't know how well this scabbard works. But I personally think I would get a padded scope cover and lash the rifle to my pack if I had to cover serious ground before I would need access to the rifle just to keep unnecessary weight down. My needs sound a little different than yours though.

In their pictures they have this scabbard between the wings of a nomad, which is essentially the fulcrum minus the large center bag. The nomad combined with a large belt pouch mounted to the scabbard should give you something along the lines your looking for. For backpacking trips you could replace the scabbard with their camp bag or dry bag between the wings.

Reactions: Crang

I have no experience with this product. I do have experience with a Kifaru fulcrum on their 24" frame. Phenomenal pack that works well as a daypack or as a monster for long trips. I have to say I really like their standard gun bearer for carrying a rifle while still having decent access.

I don't know how well this scabbard works. But I personally think I would get a padded scope cover and lash the rifle to my pack if I had to cover serious ground before I would need access to the rifle just to keep unnecessary weight down. My needs sound a little different than yours though.

In their pictures they have this scabbard between the wings of a nomad, which is essentially the fulcrum minus the large center bag. The nomad combined with a large belt pouch mounted to the scabbard should give you something along the lines your looking for. For backpacking trips you could replace the scabbard with their camp bag or dry bag between the wings.

Thanks- that helps some. I saw that and it looked pretty bulky compared to the Ebrelstock I use now but at least its modular which mine is not. The largest I tote is a TRG22 kitted out and that looks like its good for a 50 BMG. I definitely plan on getting the Gunbearer setup if I go Kifaru but I still need a fully covered scabbard plus pack for (quasi) discreet carry of the long gun. For mountains lashing a rifle to a pack is fine otherwise.

I run the Nomad 2 with a gunbearer so the rifle is right against the frame, with bag behind it. Very comfortable, and if you want to run the gunbearer on the side, you can change it in the field. The gunbearer is a good piece of kit.

I run a kifaru frame pack for everything, mostly with a reckoning. I either use the gun bearer or more often a sherman pocket and strap the gun in

I run a kifaru frame pack for everything, mostly with a reckoning. I either use the gun bearer or more often a sherman pocket and strap the gun in

I just looked up the Reckoning. It has the meat shelf like a lot of theirs. I guess my question is IF it didnt have the meat shelf, is ther a way to rig a rifle in a scabbard between the frame and the pack itself?

I think it could be done, but I suspect it would be uncomfortable with much weight in the pack.
    Btw, Once I got past the price tag and bought a kifaru fitted to me, i wished I had done it years ago.
    Easier on my back, neck and knees

I think it could be done, but I suspect it would be uncomfortable with much weight in the pack.
    Btw, Once I got past the price tag and bought a kifaru fitted to me, i wished I had done it years ago.
    Easier on my back, neck and knees

Thanks- yeah. Was about to buy a Mystery Ranch Stein 65L (which is an awesome pack) but started thinking I should consolidate in one system. Honestly would love to get a good frame and just have a few bags to hang on it. I do as much non-gun stuff as gun stuff but my back sucks both ways lol.

I used a nomad 1 with the buttflap attachment to carry my ai during mammoth this year. The folded rear is protected and the rifle is secured against the big stuff sack by the three nomad straps.

less pressure and compression on your scope that way than up against a hard frame and all your other crap.

I just ordered my first Kifaru pack, the Shape Charge. May consider getting the Sherman pocket for rifle carry at some point but just going to see how the pack sits.

You can easily disconnect the meat shelf of the Reckoning from the frame.
    The pictures of that scabbard were a bit hard to see on my phone to tell how it would work.

I have used a lot of high end packs. Including old Bozeman made Dana packs (Terraplane and Alpine LTW) and this is the best carrying I have ever had.

Just call them up about fit and attachment of the scabbard and bag. They are very nice folks and super friendly.

As for a smaller bag (30-40L), look at the new 22 Mag.
    I think that bag with a scabbard would be pretty darn sweet.
    Plus their ultralight pull-outs are great for organizing specific gear for a back country hunt.

Toying with the idea of getting a Kifaru frame and having a couple different pack setups to consolidate all my packs. I have a couple of plain jane backpacking trips coming up and need a new pack anyways. As pricey as the Kifaru stuff is I can justify it if it replaces a few things. My neck/back is a bit fucked up from a bad airboat wreck and their frame seems to be the best at keeping weight on the hips and not the shoulders/neck. The duplex frame and 44 mag bag will work fine for my 7-10 day long regular hiking/camping trips.

But what I really want to know if someone has figured out a setup that would replace my Ebrelstock X31 LoDrag. Basically a rifle scabbard between the frame and about a 30-40L pack for shooting supplies behind that? For transportation reasons I like the fully covered rifle scabbard plus pack of the Ebrlestock but the default Kifaru options all have the rifle exposed for quick access which is not a need for me. Pics would be helpful- suspect it can be done but havent seen anything like that.

Yessir, there’s a solution from Kifaru that fits you needs (I think) and I’m running it right now. You’ll need to get the scabbard from Extreme Outer Limits but it’s made for them by Kifaru. You can then attach it to a Kifaru Nomad bag or some other bags. You need to get the frame that fits you and their bags all fit any of the 3 frame sizes they make. EOL sells a complete package. I already had a 26” frame I’ve been running for several years and I bought the Nomad 2 bag from Kifaru when it was released. If it were me, I’d get the scabbard from EOL and order the rest directly from Kifaru so they can help you with sizing the frame and belt. I LOVE this scabbard! I also use it stand alone and I’m rigging it several ways including attaching some separate shoulder straps and Kifaru’s Bane pack to the molle on the back of the scabbard and this will be one of my new predator hunting pack setups. I’m waiting on some custom adapter straps to be made by a guy that’ll make the connection of the shoulder straps better for a heavier load. I may even add a belt to it. That’s what I love about Kifaru... it’s LEGO for backpackers! Toys for boys. Lol! You can arrange everything to suit YOUR needs on a particular trip rather than trying to shoehorn your trip into a pack maker’s idea of a good pack. if you’re military or LE I believe Kifaru has special pricing.

We’re having a major tower outage here and Internet is hardly working; but if you look on YouTube there are some videos on the scabbard as well as the entire pack. Just search for “Extreme Outer Limits Pack” and “EOL scabbard” and maybe “Kifaru scabbard” and you should be able to find them.

Kifaru could make lots of cool gun stuff if it weren’t for whiney-ass Eberlestock. I don’t know if they have legal grounds but, regardless, Kifaru won’t make gun packs because Eberlestock has thrown a fit in the past. I don’t see how they could have a patent on attaching a gun case to a backpack because, even if they did that patent would have LONG run out; and generics could be made. My suspicion is that Patrick (Kifaru owner) just doesn’t want to make a company he’s had good relations with in the past mad. And they HAVE gotten mad before. That’s why I won’t buy their products anymore. If that’s the ONLY thing you’ve ever contributed and you can’t innovate enough to maintain you clientele, I don’t think you deserve the business. Basically, they keep rebuilding the same pack IMO. And, they’re packs are NOT as comfortable with heavy weight.

That EOL system is amazing and I hope it’s what you were looking for. If you want more specifics on how I’m running it, shoot me a PM. I don’t have selfies showing it loaded or on my back but I could load it and take some picks if you can’t see enough on EOL’s website and on YouTube.

You can easily disconnect the meat shelf of the Reckoning from the frame.
    The pictures of that scabbard were a bit hard to see on my phone to tell how it would work.

I have used a lot of high end packs. Including old Bozeman made Dana packs (Terraplane and Alpine LTW) and this is the best carrying I have ever had.

Just call them up about fit and attachment of the scabbard and bag. They are very nice folks and super friendly.

As for a smaller bag (30-40L), look at the new 22 Mag.
    I think that bag with a scabbard would be pretty darn sweet.
    Plus their ultralight pull-outs are great for organizing specific gear for a back country hunt.
    He is right on about their customer service + they don’t mind sharing the knowledge. I would give them a call, explain your dilemma, offer 6.5’s 2¢ on the EOL rig, and ask their opinion.

You definitely pay for it, but I’ve been impressed with the durability and elegance of their systems. Hope you find a solution.

Got my internet back!

I wanted to second the comments on Kifaru’s customer service. Yep, they’re pricey but they’re the best. You’re going to pay for the quality and the modularity and the unrivaled durability. There’s a reason why they do so much work with SOCOM..... way more than Eberlestock does these days. Kifaru is the pack maker of choice. Maybe that’s why Eberlestock is so quick to get their panties in a bunch.

Another resource I thought to give you, and anyone else following this thread, is a guy named Adam Podleski who has a custom sewing service and can be reached at [email protected] He doesn’t have a website but he’s very well known over on Rokslide and has done a bunch of work for me. He’s making the adapter straps that I mentioned in my previous post. If you can imagine it, he can probably make it. Want a access zipper to get into your pack? He can put it in there. Want some specialized pocket added to a pack? He can do it. I’m sure he could make a custom scabbard and help you figure out how to mount it to any pack

Edit: Kifaru is running a 20% off sale on the 44 Mag bag today through Monday night at midnight. Just saw the post on IG.

I use a Kirafu Pointman (old ruck, no longer made) to carry around a chainsaw on my farm. That is how tough they are. And no, I don't use the pack to carry the saw while its running :)

And I run the XRay (again, no longer made) as for my precision rig setup. Another great pack, tough as a block of granite.

If you look around kifaru made a pack called the mountain rambler that is exactly what your looking for. They had to discontinue it for patent issues IIRC, but they pop up used all the time.

If your on Facebook there is a group that is all kifaru buying and selling, best bet is posting there. If your on there pm me your info and I’ll send you a group invite

Wow- thanks guys. Lots and lots of good suggestions here. Sounds like I need to give them a call at the very least (Ill need to order the frame from them at a minium). The short answer is there is a way to do this! Sweet-

That mountain Rambler would exactly replace the X31 LoDrag. Definitely an option. Ill look up the EOL system as well-

Last edited:
    Reactions: Covertnoob5