• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Killing Hogs

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
Just got back from taking my daughter hog hunting in Florida. I had her use my 270 and she smoked a nice pig at 90 yards. Being from Alaska, I have not ever hunted them before so was not sure what to expect. My buddy down here said show up and shoot. As I'm in the blind with her, I'm thinking this would be easy with an AR. So this gives me an excuse to get a new stick. I'm thinking a 300 Blackout or a sorts. My question, do I want to build this as a SBR? With it going to be suppressed, do I want to buy a complete upper or build it my self. My concern is around the gas system and the suppressor. It's been real straight forward with the standard none suppressed AR. Please advise.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Your daughter is lovely. Good for her, time with Dad.

.300 is o.k., but sometimes, esp. in FL., the pigs can be a little farther out.

You would be surprised how well a 77 grain SMK bullet works for pigs, no recoil, no noise with a can, she would only go for head shots. If you guys are in some bushes, a .300 would be better, but you don't need a new rifle (yeah you do!).

Seriously, you can roll some pigs over with heavier bullets, just shoot them in the ear. My daughter isn't a big girl, loves an AR, no kick, light to carry, just get her used to the *boom* from a .223 if not running suppressed.

Hope you guys like FL. We have owned the weather this week.

most people use 308 ARs if hunting places where the pigs run wild in packs but the 300 blackout would work too; just harder to get the ammo. As for the suppressor, its gonna add more weight and would be nice but isnt necessary.

Get the 308..still quiet suppressed and it JUST KILLS. Ive shot with all calibers. 223 and blackout have to be well placed. With 308..just hit something besides the rear end and watch them fall.. lots better when theres more than one because you will only get 1 perfect shot. Not to mention you can shoot 308 800 yards pretty easy and kill a pig

If you want quiet, go 300BLK in a SBR platform. You have the option of going sub/super sonic easily with a mag change for extended distances. I have a 16" Noveske barrel and just picked up a 8.2" Noveske for a new pistol/future suppressed SBR platform. I don't see any reason to run 16" unsuppressed on 300BLK; might as well run 5.56 a whole lot faster and a whole lot cheaper or .308 for the same cost and ballistic superiority.

As for buy/build, that's a toss up from my viewpoint. I build most of the time, but Seekins with their shorty .300BLK has had my eye for a while too at $2k. Adjustable or switch gas blocks handle the rest, or use Noveske barrels if you don't mind it not cycling subs unsuppressed. Do you want to Form 1 or Form 4 one? There's your deciding point.

If you want to stay with the AR15 platform, 6.8 or 6.5/.264.

Get the 308..still quiet suppressed and it JUST KILLS. Ive shot with all calibers. 223 and blackout have to be well placed. With 308..just hit something besides the rear end and watch them fall.. lots better when theres more than one because you will only get 1 perfect shot. Not to mention you can shoot 308 800 yards pretty easy and kill a pig

Dude, I thought that we had a ton of hogs in FL! You guys are ate up.

Hey Gunny,

I am going the same route sorta, 14 inch pinned LaRue 7.62....nice piece of glass/schmitty and give some hog some hell!

Nice pic, nice job.

I would consider something lightweight, low recoil, fits in AR15, has factory ammo available, kills hogs.

Go 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC II in a little 16" carbine. She'll be able to shoot with it all day, with zero recoil fatigue.

I was raised on a pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 .270 Winchester, but mine stays on the rack nowadays.

The Hornady factory 123gr SST in 6.5 Grendel does well, as does the Hornady 120gr SST in 6.8 SPC. There are premium bullets available for both as well from Barnes, Nosler, Hornady, etc.

The Grendel doubles as a great recreational target gun that reaches out farther than you would expect, with very high BC projectiles.