• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Kimber Classic Custom Before and After

Re: Kimber Classic Custom Before and After

I did the work. I'm a NIC certified Cerakote applicator. The gun belongs to the weekend Range Officer at Dragon Man's in Colorado Springs, CO. The gun is about 15 years old but is a shooter. I told Jim a gun that shoots that good should look good too.

The Cerakote looks very good... but honestly I didn't see anything wrong with it in it's original form.

Buster the original blueing was worn off in places by repeated use. I'm sure thats why he did the coat for it. Looks great and the new coat will keep glare from bouncing off. Nice job.

We all get a special feeling when we get a new gun and when Jim picked up his gun you could tell it was like he was getting a new gun. That gun has and continues to serve Jim well but he showed his appreciation for the weapon when he got it coated. Thanks to all for your comments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyclad Shinobi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buster the original blueing was worn off in places by repeated use. I'm sure thats why he did the coat for it. Looks great and the new coat will keep glare from bouncing off. Nice job. </div></div>

Where you see worn bluing; I see honest wear and character.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyclad Shinobi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buster the original blueing was worn off in places by repeated use. I'm sure thats why he did the coat for it. Looks great and the new coat will keep glare from bouncing off. Nice job. </div></div>

Where you see worn bluing; I see honest wear and character. </div></div>

Where you see honest wear and character; I see a perfect excuse for a new paint job
cool.gif
But to each's own for sure. Either way its a beautiful piece to be able to work on. Damn I really should finish my build
cry.gif

Looks great! I thought about duracoating my sti. I lost count of the guns I have done with duracoat, is ceracoat harder to apply?

In all honesty I can't say. All I have done and all I'll ever do is Cerakote. Based on my research and the independent testing done with Cerakote, it is best coating on the market today. Based on what I've seen at their facility, they'll probably remain on top. There is a lot of information on the NIC Industries web site on how to prep and apply Cerakote. I can tell you that preparation is the most important part. The application or spraying on the coating just takes some fine tuning on the spray gun. Lighting is another factor, you need lots of light and look at every side from every angle on the piece you're doing. Good luck.

Sounds similar. I too have found that the prep work in duracoat is the hardest part, by hardest I mean the most time consuming. Everything has to be completely degreased, and it helps if the surface of whatever you doing has a little roughness to it for adhesion. Cerakote does seem to be the tougher of the two, I will have to break down and get some. I do have an oven that is dedicated, for said prupose.

How hard is that cerakote?