• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Kimber fell apart...(rant)

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
Just a note, I bought a Kimber Tactical Ultra II recently. Good gun, so-so price (950.00). I took the thing out and put a box of ammo threw it. Ran like a champ, and with suprising accuracy. I was able to shoot a 2 and a half inch group at 25 yards. I didn't expect that. the gun had a lot of muzzle flip but the recoil wasn't bad at all. In other words it wasn't painful or annoying to shoot. I finished up with the FMJs and loaded a magazine of winchester JHPs. NO-GO.. would not feed the JHPs. I tried changeing the mag and tried 3 different types of ammo including Federal EFMJ, none would feed.
Dissapointed I called it a session. I went to clean the gun and upon re-assembly and function check the safty would not disengage. I'd had this happen one time before so I closed my eyes gritted my teeth took a deep breath and looked... yep... the plunger tube had seperated from the frame causing the safty lock plunger to move along the outside of the safty.. F**K!!
So, I had to send the thing back to Kimber. It's been about two weeks now, I expect it to be another 4 weeks. I have at least had a confirmation from a cranky Kimber rep. but I wasn't happy with the conversation. They sounded like it was my fault and I was to be thankful if they fixed it.

I've owned Colts, Springfields, Remington Rand, and a Para. I've never had a factory gun screw up like this (well except the Remington Rand and I can't blame the company for that, after all it did serve in at least one war and has survived 50 some years without incident.

If I'm not sh*tting glee at the performance of the gun when I get it back I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another Kimber again.

Rant off.

Re: Kimber fell apart...(rant)

Oh and I did make a huge fuss about the fact the gun wouldn't load HPs... they said 1911s may need or may not... blah blah blah throating...blah...blah polishing... I said look if you'r going to take the time to stamp tactical on the F**King thing I would think it would load anything. and I expect it too.. they said they would fix that too.

The last Kimber I saw was being returned by my local Class III. According to them, it had the curious habit of going full-auto for no reason, and got its owner kicked off the range.

In my experience, if it's been made after the implementation of the Schwartz (sp?) safety, it isn't worth the price. This change is evident by them stamping a "II" after the model name.

Good luck with their CS, and let us know how it turns out.

I have a Tactical Pro II. I started choking on the last round in each mag. I bought high end mags and it still failed to go to battery on the last round. Then, my slide stop BROKE. I've never even heard of a slide stop breaking. I was pissed and shipped it back. Not much personality over there, but after they polished the feed ramp and replaced the slide stop, it runs fine. I have 2k rounds through it with no hiccups at all. Still.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have at least had a confirmation from a cranky Kimber rep. but I wasn't happy with the conversation. They sounded like it was my fault and I was to be thankful if they fixed it.</div></div>

Was his name Dennis?

Kimber's primary problem seems to be quality control...complete lack of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have at least had a confirmation from a cranky Kimber rep. but I wasn't happy with the conversation. They sounded like it was my fault and I was to be thankful if they fixed it.</div></div>

Was his name Dennis?

</div></div>

BUT this is a Kimber Custom II, it is custom.
grin.gif
cool.gif

You know, I've contemplated getting a Kimber for a while but I've read enough bad stories on the Hide that I don't see how I could rationalize it. Especially if the thing had defects. I'd just be telling myself, "It's not like you hadn't heard any horror stories."

I once owned a Kimber Custom CDP II and it was the biggest POS I had ever owned,Will never own another Kimber ever..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have at least had a confirmation from a cranky Kimber rep. but I wasn't happy with the conversation. They sounded like it was my fault and I was to be thankful if they fixed it.</div></div>

Was his name Dennis?

</div></div>

grin.gif
cool.gif
</div></div>

IMO "CUSTOM" is nothing more than a name.

Sad thing is they turn out some great looking handguns. Too bad they don't place more emphasis on quality. I have an Eclipse Custom that has been flawless for more than 40K. The Tactical Custom I tried was a different story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have at least had a confirmation from a cranky Kimber rep. but I wasn't happy with the conversation. They sounded like it was my fault and I was to be thankful if they fixed it.</div></div>

Was his name Dennis?

</div></div>

grin.gif
cool.gif
</div></div>

IMO "CUSTOM" is nothing more than a name.

Sad thing is they turn out some great looking handguns. Too bad they don't place more emphasis on quality. I have an Eclipse Custom that has been flawless for more than 40K. The Tactical Custom I tried was a different story. </div></div>

That was pretty much my point ...... the word Custom is getting to mean nothing now a days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pre-II's are the only Kimbers I will ever have, PERIOD! </div></div>

Do you know when the II designation began? I have an older Kimber(about ten years old at least) and have never had any issues. Same with other folks I know who have been shooting the "old" ones. I've only heard all the issue fairly recently? What changed I wonder?

All but the (not) feeding HPs is a MIM problem.

I am sure the MIM is just as good b/c my (insert factory gun name here) has it will be a long shortly.

Kimber may have shitter MIM than others, but MIM is still shit.

Good luck

I ain't sure when the II series Kimbers came around, but they use their own kind of firing pin block. Which also happens to be the cause of half the problems, the MIM causes alot to. You have to remove the rear sight to get the firing pin block out. It can cause failure's to go into battery, especially when dirty. The angle that it's cut at is steep to say the least. I know some people just remove them, but I would NEVER do that on a carry gun. LEGAL issues if you have to use it.

This might help with the feeding.
Polish the throat, Once disassembled check your slide to frame fit. It should be as smooth as glass with only the slide and frame with little to no side to side play. If it's not that can cause a problem to. It's up to your ability whether to fix it yourself or take it to the smith. But a good fine india stone, some time, and some flitz with felt pads and a dremel can get you there. Just use the stone to put a very small bevel on the edges of the frame rails. Then polish the frame rails, yes this will remove the finish, it's fine, that'll happen after you shoot the shit out of it anyways. Go slow though you may not need to remove all the finish. Just make it nice and smooth. I did this on my Kimber and it worked like a charm. It wouldn't feed any HP's, and wouldn't go into battery after about 50 rds. Just had to push on the back of the slide. I called kimber about it, and they were trying to tell me oh it needs another 500 rds through it, and have someone else shoot it. They were pretty much assclowns. Then they were like well if want to send it in we could check it out. This was a CDP compact II. You know that custom shop shit. I'll replace the mim parts soon with ED Brown parts. Just got a killer deal on the kimber. Hope this helps.

Im would say you should have bought aa springfield but im sure you already know that.. haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kimber makes a damn fine trout line weight and that is about it. </div></div>

Bought one a while ago. Sold it and was glad that I did. Loss some money on the transaction, but certainly I would never buy another Kimber of any kind in the future.

When I first got it (NIB-mind you), put two boxes of FMJ standard load through it. There were at least 3 malfunctions. Second range session, similar thing happened. Now, I must say the accuracy is above average. But, I wasn't going to carry that POS if it kept jamming on me. Called customer service. Was told "oh, you have to put at least 500 - 1000 rounds through it to "loosen" it up a bit. I said "Get the fuck out of here." I have Colts, Springfield and never had one hiccup. Needless to say, I am extremely content with my Colt Gold Cup and Colt Commander.

I have been saying this for the last three years, and every body tells me "NO Kimber is a good 1911" No there not they are a Piece of Poop. I had almost rather have a damn HiPoint at least they work when you pull the trigger.

Seeing that most, if not all, Kimbers are stamped with "Custom" or "Tactical" or some other marketing ploy, I avoid them like the plague.

I've owned two, and while not having any real issues, I know there are better values to be had in the 1911 world. Ehm....Dan Wesson.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and I did make a huge fuss about the fact the gun wouldn't load HPs... they said 1911s may need or may not... blah blah blah throating...blah...blah polishing... </div></div>

They're throwing you a line, throating and polishing is what you do to try to make it run with an incorrect feed ramp angle. Read here:

http://www.carolinashootersforum.com/showthread.php?t=59388

Geeze I keep hearing bad things about series II Kimbers all day long no way I would own one. Do have a series one, if you will, circa 1997 that will run all day long with whatever you feed it.

That said, I am in the market for another 1911 and it won't be a Kimber. Thinking SA not sure if the mid priced ones have MIM components or not....... or hell even a Rock Island Armory and tune it as I go........

Hope Kimber sorts out your weapon OP.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TenX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That said, I am in the market for another 1911 and it won't be a Kimber. Thinking SA not sure if the mid priced ones have MIM components or not....... or hell even a Rock Island Armory and tune it as I go........

</div></div>

Pretty sure they do, but all MIM parts aren't bad. My understanding is that MIM can be just as strong as other types of steel if it's done right, some companies just aren't doing it right. FWIW, I have a Springfield and a Series II Kimber. They both run like a clock- but it took some work to make the Kimber do it.

I believe all makers short of semi and full custom use MIM. MIM is stronger than cast, but not as strong as bar stock. The problem with MIM is in the manufacturering process. Flaws almost always result in breakage. I ran a MIM Kimber for more than 10K without failure.

Our friend at Kimber tried to tell me ALL 1911s are built with MIM. Don't know if he's ignorant or thinks I am, but either way they'll never have my trust.

Well this thread is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I have been fixated on a desert warrior. Between this thread and a plethora of friends who have had tons of problems with Kimbers, (one guy had some type of failure with his desert warrior where he inserted a mag, drop the slide and the hammer followed the slide down and the gun went off. And no his finger wasn't on the trigger, something broke inside the weapon and it was sent back to Kimber) I'm going with a SA loaded A1.

I considered a Kimber many years ago. It took only minor research to determine that was a bad idea. I called everyone I personally knew who had a Kimber and not ONE of them encouraged me to buy a Kimber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wiskey_33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing that most, if not all, Kimbers are stamped with "Custom" or "Tactical" or some other marketing ploy, I avoid them like the plague.

I've owned two, and while not having any real issues, I know there are better values to be had in the 1911 world. Ehm....Dan Wesson. </div></div>

This, +1000!

series 1 is the only Kimber I would ever own, now they should rename them to over priced Mimber

I have had the same issues with kimbers also......my problems were with the small parts like the thumb safety, slide lock, etc. They use MIM parts instead of machined parts. I still own a tactical custom II but I replaced all the small parts(after some broke ) with Wilson's Bulletproof stuff. It runs ok now but I had to spend a lot more money on it!

I have a Kimber TLE II and it runs perfectly, never had a problem with MIM parts or anything else. (tho my series II has no external extractor, it was a 1.5 I guess.) It was purchased in 2005 and now has about 6k rounds through it. While my Kimber runs well, I never recommend them to anyone since they seem to be so hit or miss.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of springfield armory either. I've seen too many problems with those as well, plus the TRP prices are insane. For me there is really only one place to get a 1911 and that is Les Baer.

I have a 10 year old Kimber and it has never let me down. That being said, I had a CDP II that was trouble. Too bad Kimber seems to have let quality slip.

I wouldn't trade my Series I Kimbers for any Brazil-made Springfield.

Kimber might suck now, but their guns were absolutely unmatched at their price point in the 90s.

Here are mine. The parkerized one was made in 2000 and has had at least 12,000 flawless rounds through it. The stainless one I just got last year, but I believe it was made around 1997.

I have a kimber ultra CDP 2. And i had an issue with it failing to extract rounds. Mine came with an external safety and that thing is a POS. So i sent it back. they gave me a whole new slide with the internal extractor. mine has run fine ever since, probably 800 rounds and it feeds JHP's fine. I wont buy another though, I think their quality has declined in the last 8-10 years. ill stick with colt or some custom maker. F kimber and their prices for marginal quality.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and I did make a huge fuss about the fact the gun wouldn't load HPs... they said 1911s may need or may not... blah blah blah throating...blah...blah polishing... I said look if you'r going to take the time to stamp tactical on the F**King thing I would think it would load anything. and I expect it too.. they said they would fix that too. </div></div>

What they really need is to cut the bridge and use a ramped barrel!!!!!

I have a Custom Compact from way back (my first 1911) and it has always run smooth and eats everything. I would get another in full size but only in a pre-II series.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cmonroe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and I did make a huge fuss about the fact the gun wouldn't load HPs... they said 1911s may need or may not... blah blah blah throating...blah...blah polishing... I said look if you'r going to take the time to stamp tactical on the F**King thing I would think it would load anything. and I expect it too.. they said they would fix that too. </div></div>

What they really need is to cut the bridge and use a ramped barrel!!!!! </div></div>

Screw that. 1911s should not have ramped barrels.

I've a Custom Target II, and never gave me a problem.
I like more my Springfield SA Loaded in the same price range, but somehow I'm more accurate with that Kimber.

I have a Kimber Ultra Compact that is great and has given no problems in 2k rounds or so. Also have a Kimber slide on a Caspian frame that shoots lights out.

Having said that, I doubt I would buy a new production pistol. Too much smoke about QC for there not to be some fire. I also dealt with their warranty department about 5 years ago and it was less than edifying.

David

I have a Kimber with Clacamus(?) stamp on the frame. It is a very early gun and has functioned flawlessly for years. I also have a compact with alloy frame (can't remember the model name) that has served me well. I would (and have) bet my safety in it many times. I purchased an Eclipse II when they first hit the street and was terribly disappointed. Sold it quickly and don't want another. The last 1911 purchase was a S&W DK model. It has functioned flawlessly for several thousand rounds now and the fit and finish is great. You just have to get over the external extractor.

Stop, you guys are gonna make me cry.
I have a full sized Kimber TRE TLR, series two, with internal extractor, the same one that the LA SWAT uses, It has function flawlessly for about 800 rounds. In developing a practice round in 200 grain round nose and semi wad cutter, this gun out shot a Sig 220, and Colt series 80, I sold those guns and now only have the most accurate shooting gun of all, the Kimber
I guess that I should feel pretty lucky for owning a real shooter.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stop, you guys are gonna make me cry.
I have a full sized Kimber TRE TLR, series two, with internal extractor, the same one that the LA SWAT uses, It has function flawlessly for about 800 rounds. In developing a practice round in 200 grain round nose and semi wad cutter, this gun out shot a Sig 220, and Colt series 80, I sold those guns and now only have the most accurate shooting gun of all, the Kimber
I guess that I should feel pretty lucky for owning a real shooter.
SScott </div></div>

No one gets them all wrong.

How did you get the "Kimber" taken off the slide? Does yours have an external extractor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you get the "Kimber" taken off the slide? Does yours have an external extractor? </div></div>

No external extractor though it does have the extra safety parts that make it a series II.

Re: the rollmarks, I sent it to Tripp Research and they did a moderate dehorn, removed the rollmarks by planing them off and then hardchroming it.

The planing was very minimal, Virgil really knows his stuff. Though I'm not sure that he does much gunsmithing anymore.

No, Tripp doesn't do gun refinishing anymore. It definitely looks good with all the sharp edges cut off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, Tripp doesn't do gun refinishing anymore. It definitely looks good with all the sharp edges cut off. </div></div>

Yeah I like the way it turned out... plus Virgil did all the work for somewhere around $300??? it was crazy cheap for the quality of work. I think he charged me only $60 for the rollmark removal alone!

I wonder if that'd still be considered legal in USPSA single stack.