• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kimber rifle cocking issue.

Bigrederic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Petersburg Alaska
So, my Kimber Advanced Tactical has been having a intermittent cocking issue. I some times it just don't cock. I ordered a new trigger thinking mabe there was wear causing some issues. I installed the new Trigger Tech trigger and the problem is still there.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?? I am thinking something has worn out of spec in the 2k rounds or so I have shot through it.

And if you run the bolt back and worth and try again it usually cocks.

The trigger is what holds back the firing pin in the cocking process. But this issue happens with both the factory and the Trigger Tech, so I crossed them off the list of possible problems causes

I was just wondering if the bolt motion felt smooth or is it an interference issue. It's either the bolt or trigger hanger issue. If you eliminate the trigger, break down the bolt for inspection.

I don't see anything abnormal.. I really think this thing is somehow wearing itself out of spec.
20210804_221539.jpg
20210804_221939.jpg
20210804_221813.jpg

Well I just completed 2 100rnd dry fire cycles. And it malfunctioned 2 times on the first 100 and 1 time on the last 100.So that is not a high malfunction rate, but any malfunction rate is not a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of your setup is limited. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help you resolve the issue.

Is the trigger hanger/interface tight? No slop in the assembly? Or maybe the cocking piece is just a tad too long and Kimber can send another...

So, my Kimber Advanced Tactical has been having a intermittent cocking issue. I some times it just don't cock. I ordered a new trigger thinking mabe there was wear causing some issues. I installed the new Trigger Tech trigger and the problem is still there.

Increase sear engagement until the problem goes away

Or send it back to Kimber to fix.

I recall some talk about a trigger screw backing out on the Kimber Montana’s. I think over on 24HourCampfire they had a thread about a fix.

It seems like actions that use trigger hangers only add another part to cause problems. Do hangers add any benefits?

You can easily swap triggers without a punch and you can also time the trigger/firing pin sear handoff position with them if they took that into consideration which they usually do.

Reactions: jcmullis2
You can easily swap triggers without a punch and you can also time the trigger/firing pin sear handoff position with them if they took that into consideration which they usually do.
As you can tell I don’t know anything about them but the timing thing sounds like a plus. Do actions without hangers usually suffer from timing issues?

As you can tell I don’t know anything about them but the timing thing sounds like a plus. Do actions without hangers usually suffer from timing issues?
I wouldnt say suffer, some dont like any cock on close, I sorta like it a little as I can feel that the trigger catch and confirm its ready to go bang. Just a preference with the growing preference these days being none seemingly.

If you lower it too much you loose firing pin travel which is less energy setting the primers off less consistently in addition to possibly then having to cock the firing pin back part way through the bolts lock up which is weird feeling in itself.

The hanger just lets you fine tune a bit.

There’s so many choices nowadays and it’s not easy keeping up with what’s available. I returned to shooting a couple of years ago after about a 12 year break and everything is better. I would never thought a person could buy a action, chassis, barrel, and trigger and get sub moa accuracy without any prior experience. Lots of good stuff for shooters that I haven’t tried. I need to get an action with a trigger hanger to learn from. Other than kelby are there any others that you like?

Ive never actually owned a trigger hanger action. Impact is the big one for prs that comes to mind along with BAT and some stillers off the top of my head

Reactions: jcmullis2
I’ve always stuck with what worked in the past but I’m trying to keep a open mind and learn new stuff. I was thinking about getting a BAT a while back but changed my mind because availability I think. It fed from the right and ejected left so I wouldn’t need to reach across to get my spent cartridge. However I’ll probably go with a impact in case I don’t like it and decide to sell it. Thanks for the help man👍

I’ve always stuck with what worked in the past but I’m trying to keep a open mind and learn new stuff. I was thinking about getting a BAT a while back but changed my mind because availability I think. It fed from the right and ejected left so I wouldn’t need to reach across to get my spent cartridge. However I’ll probably go with a impact in case I don’t like it and decide to sell it. Thanks for the help man👍
My new work gun is based on a Impact, and I have to say I am now fan for sure. I will be having a few Impact guns for personal rifles in my future for sure.
20210805_155355.jpg
20210706_161258.jpg

Reactions: Bucket