• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors **Kimber**

savage110

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
USA
How is the quality on their 1911's? I am really thinking about picking up the pro carry II and held it for the first time today, it fit my hand perfectly, And price seems pretty fair at 750-800$. So how do you like your Kimber?

Re: **Kimber**

I have a yr old Ultra Carry II that I carry 75% of the time and a 10 yr old Classic Custom I. They both have been fully functional with ball and HP's. Not as good a trigger or fit as my Wilson CQB but also less than 1/2 the price. I have heard of people having issues with them and that does make one leary in a new purchase but with my personal guns no issues at all. Lap the slide....run it wet the first several hundred with ball ammo and then enjoy it. There are a lot of Kimbers out there so I expect by volume on the market there are going to be some issues here and there.

I own two .45acp Kimbers and am happy with both. One is a ten year old satin stainless Custom II, and the other is a two year old Tactical Pro II. I had to send the Tactical Pro in for feeding issues. After it was returned for service, it now runs fine. My interaction with their customer service was positive. My wife has a Kimber Stainless Pro II and a Tactical Ultra II.

My pistols are shot quite a bit, but my wife's are turning into safe queens..lol. I'll have to take her pistols out so they don't feel left out. I would recommend Kimber pistols.

Just under 8k rounds through my Pro Carry II in about 3 years. The first 500 rounds were somewhat frustrating but it started to smooth out around 400 and has been smooth as glass for the last 6k rounds. Mine doesn't particularly like 8 round mags with JHPs so I stick with 7 round mags for carry. Use the Wolff XP springs as the factory recoil spring only last about 800 rounds compared to 2-3k for the Wolff. Make sure you use FMJ for the first 500 to smooth out that alloy ramp. Be aware that the black finish does not wear as well as other finishes so don't expect it to stay pretty especially for a carry gun. I like "character" in my guns so I don't mind as long as it's accurate and reliable.

New ones are junk. My two Series I's are flawless.

I have a couple that I purchased within the last few years and they are both tip-top. I tweaked the extractor on both (which took maybe 30 seconds) and once I did so they've both run flawlessly for ~5,000rds.

i bought a TLE/RL II 3-4 years ago. never had an issue with it yet. i was worried after reading about II series issues. i have held a series I, just not side by side so its hard to compare them. im very happy with mine. 230g ball, a few gold sabre HP and one other HP brand shot and fed well. always use 8 round mags. shoots well too. hits right where i aim, which is handy. i have a buddy with a dozen kimbers in a safe. he keeps buying both Series I & II. i think everybody got their stuff fixed in any cases i recall of issues with kimber. that doesnt help in a gunfight, but hopefully youll wring it out a bunch and expose weaknesses

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New ones are junk. My two Series I's are flawless.</div></div>
How many new ones have you had that went tits up on you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New ones are junk. My two Series I's are flawless. </div></div>

I too would like to know, i had a "new" one that ran circles around my wifes glock. And Glock is the proverbial "AK" of the pistol world. Are you stating hard facts, or usual here say that you like to speak as truth?

I have my TLE/RLII for 7 years now, first 200rnds was a mass, sent in to Kimber, they changed it to internal extractor, adjusted trigger group, slide stop, and polished the push rod and action.
7 years later today, haven't had a single problem even when it is dirty.

My friend's RaptorII has been flawless from the get go, the safety had color fade out due to accidentally put some CLP on it.

Overall very good personal experience with Kimber 1911s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New ones are junk. My two Series I's are flawless. </div></div>

I too would like to know, i had a "new" one that ran circles around my wifes glock. And Glock is the proverbial "AK" of the pistol world. Are you stating hard facts, or usual here say that you like to speak as truth? </div></div>

Just hit up google and see the pictures for yourself. Saying that something is "junk" is not a statement of fact.

The "facts" are that Kimbers have been known to be shipped with crooked chambers, chambers that were/are not centered in the barrel, chambers so tight that the guns would not feed SAAMI spec ammo, sights that are so loose in their dovetails that they fall off the gun within a few magazines, finishes that are so poor that the guns rust before they can even be sold at the point of sale, etc.

That's not even mentioning the external extractor fiasco that Kimber spent years trying to defend until they gave up on it and started building internal extractor guns again because they couldn't get theirs to work.

If you want cold facts, there are plenty on the internet. Google and read.

I've shot more rounds through a pistol this year than most, if not all, of the posters in this thread have in the last decade. You can think whatever you want about what I have to say, but the fact of the matter is that I value quality because my guns aren't conversation pieces.

I wouldn't buy a new Kimber. I think Springfields have poor fit and I'd still rather have a new Springfield than any new series II Kimber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want cold facts, there are plenty on the internet.</div></div>
That statement is almost worthy of a new sig-line!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New ones are junk. My two Series I's are flawless. </div></div>

I too would like to know, i had a "new" one that ran circles around my wifes glock. And Glock is the proverbial "AK" of the pistol world. Are you stating hard facts, or usual here say that you like to speak as truth? </div></div>

Just hit up google and see the pictures for yourself. Saying that something is "junk" is not a statement of fact.

The "facts" are that Kimbers have been known to be shipped with crooked chambers, chambers that were/are not centered in the barrel, chambers so tight that the guns would not feed SAAMI spec ammo, sights that are so loose in their dovetails that they fall off the gun within a few magazines, finishes that are so poor that the guns rust before they can even be sold at the point of sale, etc.

That's not even mentioning the external extractor fiasco that Kimber spent years trying to defend until they gave up on it and started building internal extractor guns again because they couldn't get theirs to work.

If you want cold facts, there are plenty on the internet. Google and read.

I've shot more rounds through a pistol this year than most, if not all, of the posters in this thread have in the last decade. You can think whatever you want about what I have to say, but the fact of the matter is that I value quality because my guns aren't conversation pieces.

I wouldn't buy a new Kimber. I think Springfields have poor fit and I'd still rather have a new Springfield than any new series II Kimber. </div></div>

i have two series II kimbers and they both are flawless, i have over 15000 through my tle/rl II, and my raptor has well over 8000. if you think springfield and kimbers are garbage, what do you shoot les baer, wilson. for 2 to 3 x the money they better be better, im sure people with GAP think savages are garbage too. if you google any gun anywhere they all have their issues. i dont think you can just blackball a name like kimber. thats kind of a bold statement youve shot more rounds this year than most of us shoot in a decade. i think not my friend

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot more rounds through a pistol this year than most, if not all, of the posters in this thread have in the last decade. </div></div>

When you are the charter and only member of your fan club you have to make yourself believe. Preach on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New ones are junk. My two Series I's are flawless. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Just hit up google and see the pictures for yourself.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">If you want cold facts, there are plenty on the internet. Google and read.</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">I've shot more rounds through a pistol this year than most, if not all, of the posters in this thread have in the last decade. You can think whatever you want about what I have to say, but the fact of the matter is that I value quality because my guns aren't conversation pieces.</span>

</div></div>

Yes i believe everything that the internet says.....I even have my tin foil hat on so no one can read my thoughts
crazy.gif
And the underlined portion of your quote, thats laughable at best. Do you think that you are the only person on this board that shoots pistols? Because im fairly certain 2 posters in this thread (me being one of them) and the other being DK have shot more pistol rounds than you can count. But ill let you get back to googling how bad Kimbers are and beating your chest a little harder saying you "shoot" more than anyone here. Seems funny how you mentioned a while back in 9H's thread on the Serpa holster that they sucked, but yet at the time you lived in Illinois if im not mistaken and werent able to carry concealed, but you were the resident expert on that Serpa Holster until you got caught being an internet commando and then low and behold you shut up???????? Who'd a thunk it?

Also about your statement on crooked chambers and such: ever seen how bad some of the Remingtons are that get sent out??? They shoot pretty good by the way.

By the way DownZero, may I ask what brand of pistol you shoot?

his guns arent conversation pieces, ok, when one jams he has to stop his run and correct it. it slows him down alot. tell the force recon guys that carry those junk kimbers there guns are conversation pieces. they should get real guns like yours. go read some more FACTS off the internet so you can post some more horse shit on another thread

Lone Soldier that directed at me or DownZero....and those MEUSOC pistols are pieces of shit(sarcasm)
laugh.gif

its not for you its for the dbag that shoots more pistols than any of us
lol they may be pos but to say that kimbers in general are junk is bs

sorry i was being sarcastic and condescending.

Savage110....to answer your question, you would be well served with a Kimber if you are wanting a 1911 model pistol

Wow! This thread just blew up! I feel an obligation to jump in and add to the "pistol" round count of those who oppose Downzero. I'd better do some internet fact checking first though....lol! My warrior has been an outstanding 1911. It's my favorite. I've owned and still own Glocks(which I've had trouble with btw), HKs, Sigs, XDs, Rugers.... bout all of them.

Downzero, are you a Master Class IPSC/USPSA shooter? If so what are your five digits so we can internet fact check you?? Haha!

I did have problems with a 4 inch alloy Kimber, schwartz safety, external extractor, can't remember what model. Doesn't matter cuz it's gone now...

Warrior is not a series II and never has been.

MEUSOC does not use a series II system and never has.

"Facts" are indisputable regardless of source. Facts are not open to interpretation. Just Google find the pictures for yourselves, they're plenty out in the open for everyone to read.

Nearly every major handgun manufacturer, including STI, S&W, Ruger, Springfield-Armory, FN, Taurus, Glock, etc., all sponsor major shooting events. If you want to know about Kimber's sponsorship program, write them. I did. I was pretty disgusted with the response.

No I am not a master class shooter. I am a C, like just about 50% of the USPSA. I do not shoot IPSC.

What we have here is an obvious case of confirmation bias. Those who need to defend their purchases are here claiming how great they are, in light of literally hundreds of first hand accounts, pictures, and commentary to the contrary.

The sad part to me is that Kimber totally changed the 1911 market in the 1990s by delivering a quality, semi-custom styled pistol for $1000. Kimber is, perhaps, single-handedly responsible for the competition in the 1911 market that brought us higher-quality, lower priced guns with basic upgrades like ambi safeties, beavertails, larger sights, mag wells, etc.

I love my two Kimbers and I've shot the shit out of them. In fact, I shot a match with one of them just yesterday. I wish I could buy another new one just like them, actually.

You guys act like I have some predetermined thing against the series II guns or something. I love 1911s, and I love my Kimbers. Why wouldn't I want to see them deliver a quality, competitive product today?

It's just utterly ridiculous to suggest that I wouldn't want to see Kimber build a good gun again.

These two are mine.

This is both of mine, along with a friend's Gold Combat.

I don't expect anyone here to take my word for it. Just Google and read. You'll get all the information out there you could possibly ever want to read.

No manufacturer has as many issues as Kimber in the year 2010. Colt has a few. Springfield has a few. Taurus has more. But nobody gets as many complaints as Kimber. Just see for yourself, like I said, the information is readily available on the internet.

I miss the Kimber of 1998, but I certainly don't envy the Kimber of 2010. I hope all of you who have series II guns got a good one that was made on a Tuesday or Wednesday or something.

I have a Custom II, and while it is not my preferred 1911, I can't complain about accuracy, trigger and general reliability.

Well, let's see...last year I fired real close to 23,000 rounds through handguns (rimfire and centerfire combined). I have been known to go over the "50K annually" mark on a couple occasions, but I guess I'm just a piker compared to some of the badass knowitalls on here.

Despite that, and despite selling over 450 Kimbers while managing a sporting goods department (hey, 450 isn't a lot unless you consider there're only about 16,000 people in Sheridan) and getting feedback from 95% of the purchasers, I'm still going to offer up my poor unGoogled/inexperienced/uninformed opinion:

My Kimber is an excellent pistol. It is a plain Jane Custom with the only mods being a Dlask trigger, aftermarket grip panels, and Meprolight sights. It has been utterly reliable with everything from light semi-wadcutter target loads to +P JHP stuff. It is plenty accurate (I can only imagine how much better it would group if some of the ones reported on the interweb didn't have off-center chambers...), and durable in typical 1911 fashion.

Out of the 450+ Kimber 1911s I sold, I only had negative feedback relating to actual functionality on 2 of them. One had an issue with the plunger tube loosening up. The other had a poorly finished frame feedramp and was FTF with hollowpoints. Now a couple had some crappy tooling marks, the grips were poorly fit on one, and there were minor blemishes on a few, but those factors didn't affect the actual useability of the pistols. In every instance, Kimber made right by the customer, so I can, do, and will recommend their firearms.

I dont really care about finish wearing, I might just have it Black t-d if I decide to get one, I have been shooting friends glocks for the last year, and my original plan was to pick up a 21SF but I just love how the pro carry II fits in my hands. Thanks to all who actually contributed positively in this thread, you know who you are.

I have a few more questions...

Even though it has the shorter barrel and slide, does the pro carry II still use full size grips?

On the magazines, I plan on using Wilson 7 or 8 round mags, good option or not?

What aftermarket spring should I put in, I read that somewheres in the this thread, anyone got a link?

Open carry holsters... which one will serve me best?

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buffs-1911-Qty-6/productinfo/2B

And for those of you running kimbers .22lr kits, are they a good product, and worth the 330$, or is there a better kit out there?

Thanks
-Felipe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even though it has the shorter barrel and slide, does the pro carry II still use full size grips?

On the magazines, I plan on using Wilson 7 or 8 round mags, good option or not?

What aftermarket spring should I put in, I read that somewheres in the this thread, anyone got a link?

Open carry holsters... which one will serve me best?

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buffs-1911-Qty-6/productinfo/2B

And for those of you running kimbers .22lr kits, are they a good product, and worth the 330$, or is there a better kit out there?

Thanks
-Felipe </div></div>

Yes. Full Size Grips.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/KIMBER/Compact & Pro Carry/cID1/mID32/dID413

Wilsons work for me. As mentioned, the 8 rounders are not reliable feeding JHPs <span style="font-weight: bold">in MY PC II</span> unless I drop to 7 rounds. FMJ are fine with 8 so I went to a 7 round Wilson and swapped the spring and followers on the factory Kimber mags to the plastic Wilson to prevent the follower from digging into the aluminum frame. My Custom II and none of my Springfields have this quirk but it's not a big issue for me.

You don't need shock buffs.

"Which holster" is like asking "Which Scope".

At the risk of being strung up.

Kimber Problems!

This site is so funny sometimes. The last thread I read about Kimber on here was how crappy there newer 1911's can be (piss poor quality control and customer service) and that was the consensus in a many page thread with almost everyone agreeing.

Now I will say that I know people who have bought newer Kimbers and have been happy with them but the last one I was around was a TLE R/L purchased new by an officer I worked with. He had numerous issues with failure to feed failure to eject and it went back to kimber twice for a total period of more 2 months time. If this happened every once in while that would be fine, but at the risk of echoing Downzero, google it.

Disclaimer: I am just a guy on a computer who like guns and maybe only fires 2,000 pistol rounds a year (Translation: I have a small penis). I don't post much except when I think the information is important (look at my join date). My opinion is Kimber used to make great guns and is slowly losing that reputation with piss poor quality control.

P.S.
I did sell them back when I was a moronic 19 year old gun counter guy (college Job). We moved way more than 450 of them per year. We did have them come back with problems quite frequently and this was 6 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot more rounds through a pistol this year than most, if not all, of the posters in this thread have in the last decade. You can think whatever you want about what I have to say, but the fact of the matter is that I value quality because my guns aren't conversation pieces.</div></div>

Classic!

Wow,

This site never fails to amaze me. Some of you guys do more dick measuring than a porno production company. Despite the fact that we are all very similar in thoughts and actions, Americans who enjoy exercising their 2nd amendment right in some way shape or form, I, for the life of me do not understand why all of the drama is necessary.

I often post that before someone takes advice into account to read that cats profile and see who he is etc. If you post something silly on your profile, the folks may not take you seriously. Come on guys, disagree with the statement not the guys making it. Its the only way this forum will ever become relevant to the shooting community.

That said, I shoot a fair amount every year, a lot of those rounds go through 2 Kimbers (I have 3). My ultra CDP II runs well, but I had to lap it (the rails) with toothpaste to simulate the break in period, faster, cheaper and less cavities that way. It runs great. Is it infallible? No. It is a machine and all machines can fail. I go to public ranges all across the country to shoot nearly every week and see folks aiming at a 7 yd target and emptying a magazine with a variety of shooting stances, but basically gaining a sight picture and then shooting 7-15 times. Under those circumstances, I would expect almost every modern firearm with any level of quality to operate reliably. If you shoot strong hand only, weak hand only, prone, moving, from cover etc. I suspect your failure rate may go up somewhat. The bottom line is, no one person is going to revolutionize your shooting experience. Guns, holsters scopes etc are like shoes, mine may not fit you as well as they do me. Do your research and make an informed decision.

What we do not see in this forum is the humble, informed and experienced opinions of todays greatest gunfighters, largely, I suspect because of the rhetoric, dick measuring and never ending list of threads on "What is your favorite .45 or 9mm....

Some of the cats, whom I have had the distinct pleasure of knowing and serving with (although I do not place myself in their ability / experience category) come here simply for good deals on guns, ammo and accessories and then move on. I humbly recommend that hide members that read this site.....

Read more and post less when getting started
Use the search function (Admittedly it is not that good, but give it a try)
Provide more information on how you use the weapon about which you are posting.

If you value an opinion, read the guy's profile, PM him and ask about his experiences, etc. For those of you that have to carry an issued weapon, you know the value of training and experience. For those of you (like me) that can now CHOOSE to carry a weapon, the possibilities are endless

Oh, and one more thing, Stop the dick measuring.

My $.02. Its worth what you paid for it.