• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Kinky Chit Friday...

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Butter the popcorn, light the torches. Today were going to defy all the rules.

Background. Guy picks up a Browning A bolt for stupid cheap. (almost free) One small problem, there's only half the wrinkles (threads) in the receiver ring. Someone had a really, really bad day. So he called us up and asked if there was anyway to breath life back into this biche. ( (since the action is ruined, we can't ruin it anymore right?) There's an inner peace in knowing that you only have one direction to go from here, UP! :) )

Yes sir, there is.

Once upon a time I did this to an M700 and it worked great. So, were gonna try it out on a Browning today. The basic procedure goes like this. Get rid of all the threads. Open it up to the minor for a 1-3/16 x 28 pitch. Thread mill the ID, make a plug that threads into it from O-1, then pin/machine for 1-1/16 x 18

Here's the kitty taking a nice big ol bite out of the ring.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Kinda got out of sequence here a bit as I actually started this a few hours ago. First step was making a set up bushings to get the receiver aligned in the fixture. Then I had to whip up some little feet to hold this action properly. This is our Winchester accurizing fixture that I made about a month ago. Pretty cool clamshell design with adjustable brass feet and a swivel stud. No screws or bolts to come out and go getting lost in the chip bed. Once the bushings were turned/drilled/bored/ground/honed to size, setting this up was a snap.

Next (to follow in a minute) is turning/threading the plug. I won't thread the action till the plug is made as I'll be using it as the thread gauge to get a near interference fit. I better be feeling the bugger almost lock up when we get near the bottom.

Last edited:
    Plug is all done. Turned, threaded, qualified (over wires), profiled, and drilled. Started with 1-3/8" O-1 round stock

All that's left is to part it off and fit it to the action. So far so good.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

I have faith in your miracles!

From the happy owner of a group buy 700 with a special serial number

I am envious, I would have to do it on a manual lathe. Why not just bore out the action and thread it to 1 3/16 thread and thread the barrel to fit?

Jimn

Plug installed and 99% done. All that's left is finishing up the front base hole. It'd had some work done to it at one time. Sweated a little silver solder in the hole and plan to restore it to 6-48 so that it matches up with the rest.

As for "why not leave it 1-3/16-28. Could of done that, but its kinda neat to restore it back to a more traditional setup. Granted, I went with 18 pitch, but at least its the right size. I like 18 as I feel it gives a better lockup on threads.

Anyways, here it is. Almost done lipstickin' this pig.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Glad that's not my rec. I'd be afraid to shoot it after getting it that hot. File finish on the face is a nice touch;-) I like the save but I surely wouldn't advertise it!

I can't take it anymore;-) Around 300 views and no posts since my last and no comments. I think balls hanging out Chadwick is off his meds or needs to have them adjusted;-)

Started out talking about an A bolt, digressed to a Mod 70 and shows pics of a Weatherby.

Just to make sure you guys just learning know. Never heat a receiver to silver soldering temps unless you intend to re-heat treat it

I am sure I'm wrong because I speculate a lot and I speculate that Chadwick started this thread to show us his brilliant fixture to hold the action without clamping the front ring. Credit to him.

I'm sorry to say that Chad hasn't learned the lesson that chest pounding exposes your vulnerabilities.

Note to Chadwick, Feel free to contact me for free PR advice before you post. I'm sure it would save us a bunch of thought and typing;-)

months later and the rjbguns idiot is still jumping into any gunsmithing thread sounding even more mentally handicapped as before, amazing

However and totaly besides the Point of being an idiot, a quick look around does show the latter A-bolt and X-bolt actions from Browning to have some significant flats on the outside for the action, ie it looks totaly different from the action in the pictures.

I guess that has a explanation that I just cannot find or read at the moment, as regards to the work at hand and workmanship, I know that Chad is one of the best. /Chris

months later and the rjbguns idiot is still jumping into any gunsmithing thread sounding even more mentally handicapped as before, amazing

Just tryin' to keep people from getting hurt. I'm sure I'm not the only retard (thanks chad) on here. Aside from weakening the rec by cutting it so thin, putting a torch to it is a bad idea.

I was fine with the thread until then.

As for you Mr. genius vjj, how about torching one of your rifles to cherry red and shooting it. Then get back to us with the results. Some of you sack lickers' loyalty has no limit. That's what is Amazing!;-)

Last edited:
    ^^^^That shit is funny right there^^^^^

What's some funny shit is you are dumbass with a sick sense of humor. Must be a transplanted yankee. Obviously decider has an anal obsession. Maybe he should focus on his lack of protrusion at the front.

Thanks for the back up jasonk. Get Chad to delete the pic of the cooked rec. and I will delete my posts.

What's some funny shit is you are dumbass with a sick sense of humor. Must be a transplanted yankee. Obviously decider has an anal obsession. Maybe he should focus on his lack of protrusion at the front.

Thanks for the back up jasonk. Get Chad to delete the pic of the cooked rec. and I will delete my posts.

Can you point me to one of your threads where you demonstrate the proper methods of gunsmithing?

FWIW, I appreciate Chad's threads as he's one of the few smiths who pushes innovation in the industry. Is this the most kosher method of fixing a receiver? I have no idea, but I can only assume Chad wouldn't bet his livelihood on a dangerous repair.

Bottom line is put up or shut up; demonstrate to us that you're knowledge and experience is greater than his. At the end of the day, the titles and awards proves his work is as good as he thinks it is, is yours?

Last edited:
    Dont bother blue, ole turd has proven to be a hack at best time and time again, hell i recall a goldmine of a doozey in his metric threads retardation

Can you point me to one of your threads where you demonstrate the proper methods of gunsmithing?

FWIW, I appreciate Chad's threads as he's one of the few smiths who pushes innovation in the industry. Is this the most kosher method of fixing a receiver? I have no idea, but I can only assume Chad wouldn't bet his livelihood on a dangerous repair.

Bottom line is put up or shut up; demonstrate to us that you're knowledge and experience is greater than his. At the end of the day, the titles and awards proves his work is as good as he thinks it is, is yours?

This is exactly the point. Chad would not do anything to endanger his livelihood on a dangerous repair and then post it all over the Hide. As VJJ already pointed out, Turd has proven his gunsmithing skills are retarded beyond all comprehension time and time again. There really isn't any reason anyone should be giving a second thought to anything he has to say in regards to anything gunsmithing related.

Last edited:

What even funnier is that you are a self-proclaimed piece of shit. Your screen name suits you. Congratulations???

We here at the hide get to see a diverse selection of methods in gunsmithing, we see it time and time again with the 'How do you do this?' threads and the 'This method vs that method.' Everyone who has done it successfully, wether it be X or Y method will argue that it is THE method. In this industry every gunsmith beyond 'Hack' level has their own brand of voodoo, tricks, tips and methods for doing things that they have had great success with, and will always do from here on out despite perhaps 'better' ways or 'more accepted' ways to do it.
    One thing I have learned in this career is, sometimes uncovevtional is adopted as the conventional and that can be a good thing, forward looking options to do things others deem undoable are what sets the pros and the well known apart from the - well...less known and the hacks.
    I have taken the backseat and just watched a few projects with the preconceived notion 'Holy crap that will NEVER work' and walked away with 'Holy CRAP THAT JUST worked.' So with wisdom in hand I look forward to pics of the final result and the opportunity to learn something. I'm avoiding judgement or assumptions and we will see how it plays out.
    I would bemore inclined to simply say that it isn't worth the time and cost involved, but then it isn't my money, I don't know that it isn't a highly appreciated piece that is pricelss to the owner, and Smiffs are known for doing it 'just because it needs to have been done once.'

Anyone want to buy a 'I stand with Chad' Bumpersticker? 5 Dorrah' you each.

O-1 is a Oil Hardening steel and I think C knows what he is doing by going with 28 TPI very tight thread fit. Looks good to me, and yes i'd bet my life on it.
    I can't take it anymore;-) Around 300 views and no posts since my last and no comments. I think balls hanging out Chadwick is off his meds or needs to have them adjusted;-)

Started out talking about an A bolt, digressed to a Mod 70 and shows pics of a Weatherby.

Just to make sure you guys just learning know. Never heat a receiver to silver soldering temps unless you intend to re-heat treat it

I am sure I'm wrong because I speculate a lot and I speculate that Chadwick started this thread to show us his brilliant fixture to hold the action without clamping the front ring. Credit to him.

I'm sorry to say that Chad hasn't learned the lesson that chest pounding exposes your vulnerabilities.

Note to Chadwick, Feel free to contact me for free PR advice before you post. I'm sure it would save us a bunch of thought and typing;-)

While turd apparently has a reputation atleast he doesnt sound like an immature high school punk. Any time someone brings in a reference to family other than close friends joking around they usually get there noggin rattled.

All that has been done is a threaded insert has been placed in the receiver to rebuild the receiver threads. Slight interference fit with good thread engagement. As long as compatible materials are selected, I see nothing wrong with that and should be quite serviceable.

Regarding the silver brazed and threaded scope base hole; careful heat management and judicious use of a heatsink or heat paste and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Getting your panties into a wad over nothing.