• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors knife advice requested

bachelorjack

Retired Pirate of Leisure
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    www.snipershide.com
    Need a corrosion proof blade that doesn't have to be sharpened/stropped/slicked-up/maintained every time I cut something. Kydex holster and fixed blade a must. Blade length isn't really important.

Basically the glock of knives. Have $1k for this project.

The knife will spend the summer para-corded to my waist slipped inside the waistband of my board shorts. I'm going to sweat all over it and be in salt water some days.

Re: knife advice requested

Busse Knives are pretty corrosion resistant. Hold a good edge as well,,,

I like stuff from RAT.. Not that expensive but for the money it's a good knife.

+ 1 on anything from busse. you can get the blade coated and they really hold an edge very very well. The only drawback is all of their knives are limited run and if you buy direct the lead times can be lengthy. I personally have a rodent solution with coated blade and custom kydex. This is my everything knife and has far exceeded my expectations, but I had no choice to buy it used on bladeforums.com and actually paid about $10 more than original retail. This knife was still worth every penny. I have never taken a stone to this blade and have put this to some tough use on camping/kayak/fishing trips. If you want a $1K, have at it but sometimes less is more.

I've heard good things about Chris Reeve Knives. Specifically the "Green Beret" or "Neil Roberts"... But personally, I'm a Randall Man.

...But if corrosion resistance is important, don't get a Randall.

S30V is a blade steel that will meet your requirements. It is available through various makers and some production companies.

For corrosion free, Talonite or Stellite are great blades and cut certain things forever, but can also roll the edge easy on bone and such...alloys that are not heat treated.

You will never go wrong with a Maddog knife. If you ever, God forbid, have to sell it, it holds its value and will sell almost instantly due to typical huge wait times. Functionally, they are purpose built and there is a model for every occasion. Bottom line is they are absolutely top shelf. The ONLY negative thing am aware of is Kevin McClung can butt heads with certain personalities. I am not one of those people. I respect the guy and his product speaks for itself.

The maddog shrike is my 'go to' utility knife. If I could keep only one knife, this would be it.

I give a huge vote to either CRKT or the hide fighter.
    I have killed many a hog with the columbia river line of knives. They are tough and usually stay with me on hog hunts or deep sea fishing trips.

ESEE knives, all come with kydex sheath, great warranty, if it breaks the replace it, no questions asked. One guy even admitted to breaking them by throwing them at a tree, they still replaced it, although they did tell him he was a fucking moron and not to do it again.

I have an izula2 and a 5, like them both.

Grayman Knives all the way. A buddy showed me one so I put it on the list for my pack for the new MA-TEN build and Viola the wife picked up 1 for my B-day (same awesome wife who funded the MA-TEN build as my 20th Anniversy gift GREAT WIFE).

They are heavy duty bullet proof kit. I have the sub-Sahara small version which is still the length of a K-Bar. I would feel comfortable using it as a prybar, chopping and a fighting knife. One of the few items getting lots of press in the gun rags worth having

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ESEE knives, all come with kydex sheath, great warranty, if it breaks the replace it, no questions asked. One guy even admitted to breaking them by throwing them at a tree, they still replaced it, although they did tell him he was a fucking moron and not to do it again.

I have an izula2 and a 5, like them both. </div></div>

While I love ESEE knives as well the 1095 steel is going to rust like no other in that environment. Maybe one of the hide fighter knives Steve Woods makes might fit your bill, S30V steel and they make kydex sheaths for them also.

Jack look for a Strider in Nitinol it's a hybrid titanium alloy that Mic and Duane and Crucible came up with.Get ahold of Matt from Mattdtactical.com hes a sponsor here and is pretty connected with Strider.

++ on Talonite or Stellite,
    this stuff is nearly corrosion free.
    Every other steel will corrode to sóme extent.
    Anf furthermore, most high alloy steels ability to withstand corrosion changes with different hardening temperatures and tempering temperatures.
    D2 tempered at 200°C is fairly corrosion resistant, tempered at 480°C it will rust. Hardness is nearly the same, but not ductility.

A very complex topic.

Get a talonite knive from a custom maker, 1k$ should be sufficient. IF you need a stainless blade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you could go inexpensive and look at the spyderco salt series
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=128 </div></div>

This. I own two of the H1 "Salt" series knives. One of them I carry clipped to my reflective PT belt (not paranoid; prepared) when I work out, so it gets plenty of sweat and I have not seen any corrosion whatsoever in six months fo daily exposure. Also, I would recommend a folder for two reasons: ease of carry and safety. Kydex is great, but knives can still fall out, and a sharp knife in the gut is something you probably want to avoid. Also, a fixed blade really needs s belt to carry effectively. Sure, you can clip it to your shorts and even dummy cord it (which I would recommend even for a folder) but drawing a knife from a tensioned sheath that isn't firmly attached to a belt or toher strap-like piece of clothing is very difficult, especially on something as flimsy as board shorts.

While the willingness to spend serious money is admirable, it is not necessary. Buy a $60-100 knife and spend the rest on something that doesn't have a better than even chance of ending up lost in the ocean.

+1 on Strider! I bought my first one many years ago at a Gun Show that was at the Cow Palace near San Francisco. I noticed this "mad man" near the back of the hall wacking the heck out of the leg on a steel folding chair (property of the Cow Palace)as I got closer I saw the chips coming out of the leg. The "mad man" turned out to be Duane, he saw me watching and stopped. He handed me the knife butt first and asked "what do you think?" the blade looked like it had just been pulled from a display case.

Long story short, that was the day I bought my first Strider, it wasn't my last.

Bachelor sounds like you're looking for a poky thing while bagging some rays and surfing - is this right? Or are you looking for a working knife? If it is friend while working on your tan - how about a CF blade and neoprene?

Depending on how you need to conceal it the Strider DA / SA model is a consideration.

HAKs are hard to beat...

Good luck

I appreciate all the input. Thanks all.

I cut a lot of stuff. All day. Its amazing to the average person who might whip out the pocket knife to open a box. I know how to maintain an edge and don't mind it. For some reason all the corrosion resistant stuff holds a crap edge or one that lasts for seconds.

I've tried strider's. They would be more corrosion resistant if they didn't blast off the darker finish to make tiger stripes on the blade. Rust forms PDQ on the lighter sections with salt water exposure. So strider fans suggest wax or oil. Wax strips off on kydex holsters. The oil makes a mess and runs when temps hit above 90F which will happen here soon. And it will stay that way for months. For Me, strider's don't work. I've owned more models than most. And I've sold them all. Won't own another. That became final when they stopped answering the phone.

I've got some stuff headed my way for an eval, D2 and other stuff... I'm also tempted to figure out how to make my own kydex. Then I cold just go through a case of Forschner's and toss them as I need to. Anyone know what it would take to go down that road and do a good job of it? Tools, supplies, method?

Give Coty Handley a try. His Custom Carry - with a few minor tweeks to your needs will come in around $350-400.

He can do what you need, with the metal of choice, and coat it for corrosion......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give Coty Handley a try. His Custom Carry - with a few minor tweeks to your needs will come in around $350-400.

He can do what you need, with the metal of choice, and coat it for corrosion......

</div></div>

I like his stuff. He's a standup guy.

Here's what you need for doing your own kydex on a regular basis, although I've hand squished a bit...I just ordered the large molder and rivet flaring press, along with a selection of kydex and small parts, and hope to try it out this week. Got tired of wondering who could make what I need for what I've got - gonna do it myself.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41_57

Definitely one way to make kydex...

just to add:
    C. Handley includes a kydex sheath with his knives. the back has a unique belt closure with a securing bar.

Esee knives are going to be coming out with a Stainless Steel blade that might fit the bill.

Esee is a great company.

xdeano

A knife just like a firearm it's a tool. Depending on the job at hand will dictate the blade you choose. Super edge holding comes with hardness and with that said putting an edge back on a very hard blade can be a bitch if you dont have the correct tools or time. Don't be wowed by the latest greatest gimmick or fad. It would seem for what you are looking for a Stainless or even coated Stainless ( because stainless "will " rust) blade is what you need. Blades need maintenance just like firearms.
    Do your homework.

www.hartsookknivesinc.com

hope this help.

i'm a custom knifemaker,(http://www.spanglercustomknives.com/Spangler_Custom_Knives/Welcome.html)
    if that means anything as far as my input goes.

for 1k you can get a lot of knife, especially fixed blade. i would look for something in 110V if possible. but they're not making that steel anymore.
    rj martin has the last of it.
    martinsite.com

he is the man for tactical knives. read his BIO he engineered helicopters for a living, and now makes knives full time. i can vouch for the fact that he puts more engineering in to his knives than any other maker i know of

his knives are as good as it's going to get.

stick with S30V, S90V, and S110V for the top in performance.

9dff64df.jpg

i just finished this one out of S90V and i can tell you with 9% vanadium this stuff has amazing wear resistance, and the 14% chromium will hold up well against corrosion, especially with a fine finish on the blade,

that bead blast stuff just makes steel rust faster (unless they use ceramic media that peens the surface of the steel vs cutting like sharp aggressive aluminum oxide)

busse blades are not worth the $
    they're one dimensional in what they can do. way too much $ for a knife like that

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/827648-approximating-infi?p=9491537#post9491537

they may work for some things, but cutting isn't one of them. the geometry is less than desirable for a knife. it performs poorly as a cutting tool, more like a hatchet, but still won't out perform a $30 hatchet you picked up at sears

i would look around and check out some of the top tactical makers and ask for some price quotes. for what you're looking to do, you can have that knife made for a fraction of that price.

hope this helps man! let us know what you go with. also check out anything from PML knives.
    robertsoncustomcutlery.com has a good selection of tacticals.

shoot me a pm if you have questions on steel or anything.

p.s. like posted before. sharpening is a must no matter how abrasive resistant a steel.

theperfectedge.com

buy a few DMT continuous diamond stones. tell the owner i sent you. 325 is about all that's needed for everyday toothy edges. the diamond cuts fast enough so you won't need anything coarser unless you happen to put a bad ding in the edge.

+1 for the Spyderco H1 knives. I absolutely love mine. I dove with it for over a year with NO rust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need a corrosion proof blade that doesn't have to be sharpened/stropped/slicked-up/maintained every time I cut something. Kydex holster and fixed blade a must. Blade length isn't really important.

Basically the glock of knives. Have $1k for this project.

The knife will spend the summer para-corded to my waist slipped inside the waistband of my board shorts. I'm going to sweat all over it and be in salt water some days.</div></div>
    Are you looking for a defense usage, or utility usage?

Is concealment a priority, or is comfort while using it?

Is weight a concern? Do you want serrations, or a plain edge?

There was a knife a guy showed me one that was made out of some NASA type material. It was some of the hardest stuff ever made, and never needed sharpening. Anybody heard of this? I can't remember the name of the guy who made them, but they are no longer in production.

I just had the pleasure to demo a razel by Graham knives. Very nice fixed blade with lots of options. I really think this knife would be ideal for your tasks. Check it out I know you wont be dissapointed.

The Kabar 7 inch made out of D2 tool steel will hold up great, but requires care because it isn't stainless. But with a budget of $1000 you could afford to buy quite a few of them. You wouldn't be horrified if you lost it, or it were stolen because they are easily replaceable. With a bit of care, you could work around salt water, but of course, you will end up with corrosion. I wouldn't worry about the corrosion as much as I would worry about a $1000 knife being stolen, or lost.

With a $150 D2 Kabar, you could go through quite a few of them on your $1000 budget.

Do some research on different steels before making a decision. What will you be cutting?

Some blades are harder and maintain the hair popping sharpness longer. These blades chip easier. (S30V, D2, 154CM) D2 will rust quickly, S30V is VERY resistant to corrosion.

Some blades are not as hard but are very strong. They roll instead of chip. (INFI, A2) Infi steel is pretty corrosion resistant and great for chopping wood and other extreme things.

Without too many details, I would guess that S30V would suit you well.

Don't buy a ceramic knife.

Chris Reeve has some nice S30V

Busse and Strider are far too heavy for wearing with board shorts. IMHO

I guess my standards a different - never spend more than $100 for a knife, and just stab something with a slightly corroded blade if I ever forget to maintain it for a month or so in salt water.
    Gerber LMF II - the zombie knife for the practical and thrifty.

***I crouch now and stand by for flame attack***

Bark River makes some nice fixed blades...with plenty of change left over for other kit.

Bark River makes some of there most popular models in 154CM which is pretty good stainless. Get a strop too and quick touchups are easy.

If you want a knife that can hold the edge, and will not rust; the Spyderco H1 steel is tits. One of the best things about it, is that it work hardens. The steel gets tougher as you sharpen it and use it. Only down side is that the knives are ugly as sin, and the steel gets scratched eaisly (if you care about that).

I had considered Fehrman and Bark River before 'hiring' Coty Handley.

I'd contact Fehrman and see what they can offer for a custom build, for another option to ponder.