• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Knife Sharpener

Re: Knife Sharpener

I have had good luck with the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Never have been able to master the stones...

Between the Spyderco Sharpmaker and DMT Magna-Guide and a stropping leather you can do just about any knife to popping sharp. I hate carbide ripping systems bar for the cheapest knives where I don't care.

Cheapest option is Wet and Dry sand paper as used for car paint repairs stuck to a flat wood base, with soap. However guide systems are better for those who don't have the confidence to go freehand.

I have tried about every knife sharpening gadget out there, and I can use the stones to put a razor edge on damn near anything. But of all the "gadgets" out there, the spyderco unit that holds the ceramic sticks like a "V" is by far the best thing going.

Edgepro Adex, takes my knives to scary sharp and more importantly does it consistently so I can touch up with a couple of passes.

I shave with a straight razor when I have the time. I have found the spyderco ultra fine followed by .5 micron chromium oxide on leather to be the best thing going. I do the same to some of my knives. I use my DMT 8000 stone if the edge needs work (as apposed to polishing). I have a 1-42 belt sander for kitchen knives. I have every every grit of DMT stone.

For practicality, you cant beat sand paper. Just put some 600 grit over mousepad and use it like a stone. Hold the angle shallow as the pad has some give. Follow up with this paper...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=33004&cat=1,43072

After that, apply this to some leather...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32984&cat=1,43072

If you just want a usable edge, you can just use regular 600 grit paper and stop. If the edge is dull as fuck go ahead and use 60 grit!

I like the Lansky. I had the regular stones for a long time and wore them down some sharpening all the guys knives at the firehall. Plus broke the plastic overtightning them. Called Lansky and they sent me new stones. After that I bought the diamond stones and they seem to sharpen quicker than the regular but no complaints on the regular either.

I start with Lansky diamond, and finish with leather. Go through the stages, and it's worth it.

There was a system shared here a few years ago, that was a Lansky on 'roids. Can't remember what it was called, but when I'm rich and famous, that'd be the one I'd move up to.

Somebody here knows what I'm talking about, really.

Lansky diamond stones did not last at all couple of years ago when I tried them.

I have the Lansky and the Spyderco. The spyderco is the better system.

I use various grits of wet/dry sandpaper (up to 2000grit) sitting on the soft type mouse pad to shape my edge then finish on a leather strop loaded with fine polishing compound.

google "convex sharpening"

once you get the hang of it you'll be amazed at how sharp and polished you can get an edge.

I recently picked up a benchmade 710 in M390 steel. the factory edge reminded me of a saw blade. after about 30 minutes on the sandpaper and leather it now sports super finely polished convexed edge. that's SCARY sharp

a good set of stones will always be much better than one of those v grove things. i have seen many knives ruined using those damn things. and on top of that knives that i have seen used on those things end up dull quickly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a good set of stones will always be much better than one of those v grove things. i have seen many knives ruined using those damn things. and on top of that knives that i have seen used on those things end up dull quickly </div></div>
Thats what I have found not to work well and the edge is gone in no time. Thanks to everyone who has posted I have some new stones and such to try out.

Strangedays

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a good set of stones will always be much better than one of those v grove things. i have seen many knives ruined using those damn things. and on top of that knives that i have seen used on those things end up dull quickly </div></div>
Thats what I have found not to work well and the edge is gone in no time. Thanks to everyone who has posted I have some new stones and such to try out.

Strangedays </div></div>

the hardest part is keeping the proper angles consistantly...little trick some use is an aligator clip on the top of the blade as a guide. me i just hold the knife by the blade and use the tip of my thumb. usually gives me about a 25* edge and at the very end i raise it up a hair on both sides on the last couple strokes.

DMT double sided diafold-coarse and fine

cant go wrong with one, fits in pocket or pack and puts an edge on quickly. pretty sure they last like forever too

sandpaper on glass or mouse pad works great on the cheap. I usually never bother with all that the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup is all I usually ever use. If out in the backwoods a touch up on the edge of the car window does wonders. a little leather work never hurt work some of that chromium oxide powder into the back side and you'll be good for about six months. just some practical thoughts.

Another vote for EdgePro system. It's the Lansky and Cutco on steroids. Although it's not exactly compact, it's the best out there.

My favorites by far have been:
1) Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker and a Close 2nd DMT

I've used the Spyderco Sharpmaker for years and it's never failed to get my blades razor sharp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if anyone knows of a good, decent compact knife sharpener for a great edge? </div></div>

http://www.v-sharp.com/

Go get you one of these. They are by far the best sharpener out there. Sharpens quickly and leaves a great edge. It is very compact as well.

I use a Lansky, and have not found a knife a couldn't make shave. There are tricks to using one though. For what it's worth, I started out with a deluxe kit, and added one fine diamond stone. Unless you have a lot of metal to move creating a new edge, the fine diamond cuts plenty fast. Then I switch to the blue handled fine stone. After that, I switch to the coarse stone that I have super glued a piece of leather too. Since you want to keep a uniform edge across the blade, run your stones towards the tang when moving away from the edge and towards the tip when your coming into the edge. Not the circle pattern or a lot of switching back and forth. You want to grain of your edge to run in the direction you cut, down and from tang to tip. Obviously, you just run the leather away from your edge, but in the same direction. Don't forget to do it the same on both sides. Also, when you attach your guide rod to the stone, set it on a table or something flat so they are always in alignment with you guide rod and cutting the same angle. The stones get better after a while, or break in so to speak. Hope that helps anyone with a lansky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yuri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edge Pro is no compact system. For a fine sharpening I prefer Wicked Edge Precision Sharpener on a heavy base with a full set of stones and stropes:
http://www.wickededgeusa.com/ZenCart/ind...4640k119d1r8ab6
It makes easy work for a hair-whittling knife.
But there is no substitute for a skill, watch whole set of short videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TscN9h-1xQ&feature=related
All one need is really just a set of good stones, piece of leather and some practice.
</div></div>

The "best" and most expensive knife sharpener I've ever seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yuri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No compact knife sharpener is perfect.
DMT Diafold Magna-Guide works for me:

http://craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/TDMGEF.htm </div></div>

+1000 Best sharpener I have owned!

Bought the KME system and put a very nice edge on my Strider folder. I will put some more time into it for an even sharper edge. Just got a leather strop as well to finish the blade. So far, I am happy with the system.

Another vote for EdgePro.

Perfect blade every time.

edgepro001%20042.jpg

edgepro004%20024.jpg

edgepro004%20007.jpg

I have the lanskey, and it leaves a lot to be desired.

One day I'll cut an angled block of wood, and use stones on that. it seems like it would be easier to maintain an angle, when the board makes the angle and you've just got to keep the knife even with the table. Then, you can use all stone and still finish with leather and rouge.

Anyone ever used a paper wheel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the lanskey, and it leaves a lot to be desired.

One day I'll cut an angled block of wood, and use stones on that. it seems like it would be easier to maintain an angle, when the board makes the angle and you've just got to keep the knife even with the table. Then, you can use all stone and still finish with leather and rouge.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Anyone ever used a paper wheel?</span></div></div>

Like a lapping wheel? They make super smooth edges, ...that you can shave with once and then have to do it again.