• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors knives: 1095 vs D2: Help me out

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
been looking for a good fixed blade for some time and I think I am going to pick up one of the ontario rat knives...probably the RAT 3. Use will be hunting and camp work.

what are the different advantages/disadvantages of the two steels: 1095 and D2

appreciate the input!

Re: knives: 1095 vs D2: Help me out

Buy ESEE, not Ontario Rat.

D2 holds a great edge and is reasonably stain resistant. 1095 also holds a good edge, but requires more maintenance in regards to protecting against corrosion. D2 requires more care when sharpening--it's a bitch to sharpen.

1095 easy to maintain the edge in the field.As said above D2 can be ....interesting to sharpen.

pretty much what everyone said above. definitely go with ESEE.

id personally choose 1095, easy to touch up, rust wont be a problem if you take care of it. d2 is a little more prone to chipping as well, but will hold an edge better.

I'd pass on the Ontario made Rat, go with the real Rat Cutlery (now known as ESEE). Much better fit and finish plus one of the best warranties in the industry.