• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing knocking a few inches off of barrel length

Re: knocking a few inches off of barrel length

That’s one reason, shorter = stiffer= better accuracy (generally)
But other reasons include less weight, more compact for better maneuverability, better balance and shorter overall length when using a suppressor.

Go long if you want to squeeze all the velocity possible out of a cartridge and/or using iron sights (better accuracy due to the increased sight radius).

Rifles are like women;
Some guys like tall and lean ones, some like short fat ones, some like plain ones, some like loud obnoxious ones. Everyone of those women offers something the other can't. Me, I am a big time rifle poygamist.

My 17.5" Surgeon hits steel with boring regularity at 750 yards. Its around 14lbs loaded
smile.gif
. My gun suppressed is still a hair shorter then a 23" barreled gun.

Unless I'm shooting competitions where every fps counts, I don't see the need to carry a huge stick, unless you're trying to compensate for something else.

Portability in addition to stiffness. A good friend has a .223 with a 26" barrel. He says it is a pain to get out of the truck window. I like a 20" tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shorter barrels make it easier to take in and out of a vehicle. Think police car. </div></div>

Hmm...they always took my guns away from me before I got in the police car...never had the chance to take one out.

LOL, that's a good one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a popular way to decrease velocity and increase muzzle blast. </div></div>

This...^

When properly addressing barrel harmonics per the OCW principles, barrel "stiffness" becomes more myth than anything else. Aside from a barrel heat issue, long skinny barrels can be made to shoot just as well as short fat ones. BT/DT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But other reasons include less weight, more compact for better maneuverability, better balance and shorter overall length when using a suppressor.
</div></div>

This...

Off the bench not much difference. Huge differennce hunting or tactical

don't hate me for saying this but often times aesthetics play a large role in decision making.

Sure it does, as do ergonomics, portability and handling.

For example, if I have to carry it for two days in a pack, and my maximum engagement range is 1000 yards, then if I can shoot a .496BC bullet at 2780 out if my 18.5" barrel and I am currently shooting a .496BC bullet ay 2980 out of my 26" barrel, why carry a 22lb rifle when a 14lb rifle will suffice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For example, if I have to carry it for two days in a pack, and my maximum engagement range is 1000 yards, then if I can shoot a .496BC bullet at 2780 out if my 18.5" barrel and I am currently shooting a .496BC bullet ay 2980 out of my 26" barrel, why carry a 22lb rifle when a 14lb rifle will suffice? </div></div>

i love a short barrel. BTW what caliber are the rifles youre describing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love a short barrel. BTW what caliber are the rifles youre describing? </div></div>.308 with SW Ammo 155 Scenar factory loads.
IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg
[/quote]
DSC00477.jpg

i loved the scenars but due to cost i switched to 175 smk and can only manage 2700fps out of my 20" barrel. regardless the accuracy is still fantastic.

I have a 18.5 260 [CBI],after changing brake's on it,I like it alot better than my 24'' 260 [Shilen select match] but I love the two 15'' & 16''long range pistol's I shoot also, so I guess I just like SHORT !

I remember Frank somewhere saying if the barrel is good, length is secondary...so thanks for all the input again...HOMIES.

I've always been a fan of shorter barrels. The only thing lost is some velocity, and not enough to make a difference with what I use my firearms for.

They're easier to handle, to store, and they're lighter. That's why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifles are like women;
Some guys like tall and lean ones, some like short fat ones, some like plain ones, some like loud obnoxious ones. Everyone of those women offers something the other can't. Me, I am a big time rifle poygamist. </div></div>

+1