Rifle Scopes Kowa TSN-821M

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
I have the Kowa TSN-821m spotting scope, with the 27X LER eyepiece. I've been looking for the 20-60x eyepiece, but really don't want to pay $400 for it!

I ordered one from Buffalo Arms, but they have not responded to say they had one in stock.

So, here's the question-- should I actually get one of the $400 eyepieces, or should I get a different spotting scope altogether? I bought the 27X when I was into position shooting, but now I need to see the bullet holes at 250 yards.

Thoughts?

targetterror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Re: Kowa TSN-821M

Depending on the level of mirage on the day that you shoot, even the Hubble may not be able to resolve bullet holes at 250 yards. Getting a higher magnification eyepiece will only make this work. I would shoot shoot-n-c style targets and use your current eyepiece, and that should be fine.

Cigarcop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
Pottstown, Pa

I have the 821M and was using it today at 600 yards, .308 and 6.5 holes were clear as the day, I also was using the 20x60 lens, 90 degress here today.

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com

The 821 was a long range match "gold standard" spotter for many years. It. and it's eyepiece have been discontinued by Kowa. When available, we can ship new for $329.

That scope should have no problem with bullet holes to 250 yards at all. My 60mm Kowa Prominar does that easily.

Scott

scotharr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TargetTerror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on the level of mirage on the day that you shoot, even the Hubble may not be able to resolve bullet holes at 250 yards. Getting a higher magnification eyepiece will only make this work. I would shoot shoot-n-c style targets and use your current eyepiece, and that should be fine. </div></div>

+1 Often "clarity" is more important to identifying bullet holes than magnification. If you are really set on getting a better spotting scope, move up to HD/ED glass. I have a Swaro HD 65mm spotting scope. It originally had a 20-60x eyepiece. I traded it in for a fixed 30X Wide eyepiece and could not be happier.