• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kowa TSN-821M

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
I have the Kowa TSN-821m spotting scope, with the 27X LER eyepiece. I've been looking for the 20-60x eyepiece, but really don't want to pay $400 for it!

I ordered one from Buffalo Arms, but they have not responded to say they had one in stock.

So, here's the question-- should I actually get one of the $400 eyepieces, or should I get a different spotting scope altogether? I bought the 27X when I was into position shooting, but now I need to see the bullet holes at 250 yards.

Thoughts?

Re: Kowa TSN-821M

Depending on the level of mirage on the day that you shoot, even the Hubble may not be able to resolve bullet holes at 250 yards. Getting a higher magnification eyepiece will only make this work. I would shoot shoot-n-c style targets and use your current eyepiece, and that should be fine.

I have the 821M and was using it today at 600 yards, .308 and 6.5 holes were clear as the day, I also was using the 20x60 lens, 90 degress here today.

The 821 was a long range match "gold standard" spotter for many years. It. and it's eyepiece have been discontinued by Kowa. When available, we can ship new for $329.

That scope should have no problem with bullet holes to 250 yards at all. My 60mm Kowa Prominar does that easily.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TargetTerror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on the level of mirage on the day that you shoot, even the Hubble may not be able to resolve bullet holes at 250 yards. Getting a higher magnification eyepiece will only make this work. I would shoot shoot-n-c style targets and use your current eyepiece, and that should be fine. </div></div>

+1 Often "clarity" is more important to identifying bullet holes than magnification. If you are really set on getting a better spotting scope, move up to HD/ED glass. I have a Swaro HD 65mm spotting scope. It originally had a 20-60x eyepiece. I traded it in for a fixed 30X Wide eyepiece and could not be happier.