• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kreiger Barrel Cleaning

majohnson2

Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Front Range, CO
Cleaning my rifle after the SH meet up we had at Chaffee County Range, I notice that there wasn't much copper fowling. I only shot a total of 38 rounds for the day. My cleaning begins with using Hopers #9 to remove the carbon build up. Once thats cleaned and dry, I apply Barnes CR 10 to a patch and run it through the barrel but I'm not seeing much if any of the blue indicating copper. The barrel has less then 100 rounds. Even during the break in I never noticed much in the way of the blue indicator. I am only using nylon brushes and letting the chemicals do the brunt of the work. I've seen several videos that recommend doing cleaning in this steps, which is where I got the method.

I've read through the info on Kreiger and Barnes site and I still wondering whats going on the copper fouling. 1

Re: Kreiger Barrel Cleaning

Quality barrels don't copper-up very fast. Don't be alarmed by lack of copper in the bore, be happy.

Also, consider not bothering to clean the bore at all for several hundred rounds at a time. Like most of us, you'll find it shoots better, is easier, and decreases the risk of damaging the bore by cleaning.

Good luck.

On a quality barrel , what I usually see is modest fouling first 20 or so rounds after that dang near nothing. Ya gets what ya pay for with a Krieger.

Good barrel, I have had a lot of Kriegers that did that. Nothing wrong with it.

Bro
My barrels have never seen a brush, wipeout n patch is all i use.

Wipeout is very good, just squirt down barrel until it overflows, wait couple of hours or overnite and patch clean
simple n effective.

Costom barrels unlike cheap ass factory barrels clean up with very little fuss, shoot more clean less

On a good custom barrel even just some mild Boretech Eliminator and a nylon brush gets it all out in a few swipes and a couple wet patches followed by a couple dry ones and your golden.

I just built a .243 using a Kreiger. I tried to do a traditional break in but after the first three rounds and not getting any copper at all, it just didnt make any sense to continue.

My recent Obermeyer barrel build was exactly the same though.

I think you will Experience that with most quality barrel makers.

Internal barrel finish bears on the rate of fouling. Good barrels foul less because they have a smoother internal finish.

Cleaning is mostly accomplished by chemical Solvent action. Attempting to clean a premium barrel by applying any form of abrasion is, I believe, counterproductive.

This does not mean I don't use a brush. I employ it as an applicator, to spread the solvent more deeply into the rifling. For this purprose, I think a nylon brush is equally effetive, and less problematic.

I think the cleaner foams are very effective and very efficient; and they should also eliminate any need for brushing.

Greg