• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Bravo Fit & Finish

I didn’t realise about the form lines of the Bravo until I read this thread.
I bought the Bravo for two reasons principally,being it’s light weight & ergonomics.ie,how the stock fits me,especially the straight grip reminiscent of my old A4.
Price didn’t come in to it at all,& now that i’ve gone back to look at it,the 1/16” difference doesn’t bother me a whit as long as my first two criteria are maintained.

Just for a fun thought experiment,
If a corolla is too expensive to compare, howabout a brand new $5000 motocycle? Thats pretty close to custom rifle price. If i bought a new bike that had misaligned panels, i'd be pretty upset. And guess what? A motorcycle is also "just a tool", it's meant to take me from point A to point B, and it is going to get scratched up and dinged in its lifetime too. But I still want the panels on a new bike to line up, and I dont think that's too much to ask.

But for some reason, if it's a gun, WHOA its just a tool! Beat it up and drag it through the mud! Grow a beard and eat some meat ya pansy!

This isnt me complaining about the Bravo. I like the Bravo, and can definately deal with the misalignment at the price it sells at. Im just pointing out a trend ive noticed amongst shooting HOBBYISTS that I find interesting.

Last edited:
I dont care how much it costs, the alignment should be correct.
Deal breaker for me.

So you go buy a toyota corolla and the dealer tells you the panel lines are not lined up due to it being a economy car, it will work just fine.
Really.

Methinks you are going to face disappointment a lot in life.

Ever pulled a budget Toyota engine apart? The fit of the parts is...generous, to say the least. This can be contrasted to a BMW; the parts tend to fit to a degree of exactness that blows away a Corolla. That is the difference between budget and premium (if we're comparing cars here). Comparing a Corolla's fit and finish to that of a BMW or Land Rover is a fool's comparison, and smacks of someone just complaining that their budget car isn't the same fit and finish as a BMW. Uhhh...no shit. The price reflects the tolerances.

I did not know that about howa and mdt.

Now all my interest in that combo is lost
I lost interest in MDT products a long time ago because of that oversight.

Their excuses about the Howa's flat bottom not allowing the use of any other short action magazine but their own is lame in the extreme.

For one, some of their same chassis that are inletted for the Howa are also inletted for the Model 70 (another flat bottomed action) and there is no restriction on which magazines can be used with the short action Winchesters.

For another, KRG managed just fine to accommodate full AICS magazine compatibility with the Howa 1500 in the two chassis they've inletted for it (the Bravo and the now discontinued 180-Xray).

The only MDT chassis that doesn't have the Howa magazine issue is their most expensive one. Pass.

M6z, with all respect, your argument is non-sensical. The point being made is that both the Corolla and the Bravo are at the lower end of their market's respective price ranges. Gun stocks and automobiles are in entirely different price ranges. The point is that even an inexpensive car (for the car market) has pretty good panel alignment, while this inexpensive gun stock (for the gun stock market) does not.

I cannot speak to a Manners' mold lines...I have never seen one. But, I do have a $271 Bell & Carlson Medalist stock and a $350 H-S Precision PSV-106 stock (same one as on Savage Long Range Precision Varminter). The Medalist was finished just fine, but the fit to the Howa action was a complete disaster. The H-S Precision barrel channel was slightly misaligned, but H - S suggested I send it to them for inspection, which it passed. They even sent me photos of my stock with their test equipment to show it was ok. They also noticed a tiny defect in the stock, far less noticeable than the KRG misalignment. I had noticed it before, but it was so minor, I never mentioned it. They told me they would fix the tiny void and repainted the entire stock. It was returned and it is perfect in every way. Still slightly crooked barrel, but am looking at the barreled action now, or will just bed in the aluminum block, something I planned anyway.

I wish I could check out these stocks more carefully in person, but around where I live (San Francisco Bay Area), such opportunities are scarce to say the least.
Such a sad story..............

Best to just move on with life.

I dig my KRG Bravo! Zero complaints here...
64CB4EF7-08C3-4CC5-A8D0-0594C18989F6.jpeg
B860496F-DC8B-435D-87CE-2B0E913CA675.jpeg
15C340CC-6F89-45D4-A6E7-7DDDEDE5A0D8.jpeg

Reactions: King_beardsly
I am the OP. I see people unhappy with a barrel not centered in a barrel channel (even when not touching the stock), to a degree that is less than the polymer panel misalignment seen in some Bravos. I do not think that simply not tightening some screws to make the stock parts fit properly is an approach I would use and surely something KRG would not endorse (and has not when I talked to them).
most of the time when a barrel doesn't line up straight with the chassis. It's the barrel action and barrel that's this issue. It's pretty easy to get a chassis straight

Shit I like mine. Works great.

It's true (obviously from pics) that there is some panel misalignment. We would like it to not be that way. There's various things you can do to improve it. If it's a real sticking point though, I would caution against getting a $3k+ TRG (same exact issue), an $$$ AI (of any kind from what I've seen), or most other rifles or chassis.

I will say that the fit and finish of the JAE chassis is outstanding, I was only able to find a couple spots of panel misalignment and we got ours at the long ago price of a bit under $1k making it a relative value.
Thank you guys who have purchased a Bravo (or other KRG item) for your business,
Justin

It's true (obviously from pics) that there is some panel misalignment. We would like it to not be that way. There's various things you can do to improve it. If it's a real sticking point though, I would caution against getting a $3k+ TRG (same exact issue), an $$$ AI (of any kind from what I've seen), or most other rifles or chassis.

I will say that the fit and finish of the JAE chassis is outstanding, I was only able to find a couple spots of panel misalignment and we got ours at the long ago price of a bit under $1k making it a relative value.
Thank you guys who have purchased a Bravo (or other KRG item) for your business,
Justin

^^^ This ^^^

My TRG doesn't line up perfectly and I don't really care lol.

Reactions: King_beardsly
I bought the new Howa with the Krg Bravo stock and it is a new paint scheme. Its the stars and stripes in black and olive green. I love it and i believe that both of the issues can possibly be adjusted. One thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is if you do have the scope even close to the height mine is right now(no it isnt staying that high) is the back of the bolt can contact the front of the cheek rest. The forend and front of the rear part of the stock i believe can be fixed with a small file or possibly a dremel in the small grooves that align the forend side up on to the backbone. The barrel on mine was easily aligned with the forend by looosening the screws and moving everything around to line up. Im not saying yours is the same as mine but I have played with the barrel alignment and havent messed with the forend and heel alignment yet. I was more excited to shoot it then worry about the alignment part. Now that I have shot the rifle I am ready to reload and adjust things to my liking. Oh also I know my bench is cluttered, I have a lot to put away. The scope mount is much higher then I like as well but I just used what I had on hand until I measure and order what fits me better.

Attachments

• 20181209_230608.jpg
    20181209_230608.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 264
  • 20181209_230622.jpg
    20181209_230622.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 20181209_230645.jpg
    20181209_230645.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 271
  • 20181209_230648.jpg
    20181209_230648.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 20181209_230700.jpg
    20181209_230700.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 255
  • 20181209_230716.jpg
    20181209_230716.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 20181209_230746.jpg
    20181209_230746.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 20181209_230613.jpg
    20181209_230613.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Reactions: richiecotite
I bought the new Howa with the Krg Bravo stock and it is a new paint scheme. Its the stars and stripes in black and olive green. I love it and i believe that both of the issues can possibly be adjusted. One thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is if you do have the scope even close to the height mine is right now(no it isnt staying that high) is the back of the bolt can contact the front of the cheek rest. The forend and front of the rear part of the stock i believe can be fixed with a small file or possibly a dremel in the small grooves that align the forend side up on to the backbone. The barrel on mine was easily aligned with the forend by looosening the screws and moving everything around to line up. Im not saying yours is the same as mine but I have played with the barrel alignment and havent messed with the forend and heel alignment yet. I was more excited to shoot it then worry about the alignment part. Now that I have shot the rifle I am ready to reload and adjust things to my liking. Oh also I know my bench is cluttered, I have a lot to put away. The scope mount is much higher then I like as well but I just used what I had on hand until I measure and order what fits me better.
A bit off topic, how long is the barrel on your Howa?

Yellowfever440,

I am the OP, and saw your Howa/Bravo pics. I like the paint work...well done. I won't speak to the panel misalignment in this response, but thought I would say I noticed you are using the standard bolt knob. I find it small and too short, so I ordered this bolt knob.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C9SK44H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is higher quality than I expected, and works well. However, upon initial installation, it was not tight. The package comes with two O-rings to take up any slop or looseness. They say to try one O-ring,and use two if one is not enough. I used one, and it is solid. Reduces bolt lift effort and tendency to pinch fingers against scope. It does hang down enough where it can touch a knuckle on my trigger finger. But, still an improvement.

Phil

Reactions: skinnj1
A bit off topic, how long is the barrel on your Howa?

They told me at the store that it was a 26 inch barrel but I haven't measured it, if it is only a 24 I would be fine with that.

I am the OP, and saw your Howa/Bravo pics. I like the paint work...well done. I won't speak to the panel misalignment in this response, but....

Thats a factory Howa setup, paint scheme and and everything except the scope and warne mount, sold at any gun store. It just hit shelves before black Friday and mine came with the scope rail amd all. I haven't done the filing for the stock alignment issue but I will be shortly. It doesn't bug me that much but when its snowing or wet and I dont want to be out shooting in the weather I can play with all that.

Thanks for the heads up on the bolt knob, I really just started shooting in the last year or so and am trying to figure out how to make my guns more comfortable to me.

I did not know Howa was selling in that paint scheme. I just went to their website, and it is not there. ??? In any event, glad you got it and expect it will shoot well. What caliber?

Phil

I dig my KRG Bravo! Zero complaints here...View attachment 6978936

Sorry I have a few questions for you.

What do you have on your cheek rest?

Also, I really don’t know what to call it, but the spigot is what krg calls, the piece that is inserted into the end of the forend on your rifle that the bipod is mounted to. Do you like it and is it worth the money?

What height rings are you using? I’m afraid if I lower my athlon scope then my bolt handle will contact the scope eye piece or be close enough I will hit the scope with my hand with manipulating the bolt.

My X-ray has the same misalignment. Doesn’t affect accuracy at all. Don’t sweat the small stuff. KRG chassis are the best bang for the buck.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie

Also, I really don’t know what to call it, but the spigot is what krg calls, the piece that is inserted into the end of the forend on your rifle that the bipod is mounted to. Do you like it and is it worth the money?

What height rings are you using? I’m afraid if I lower my athlon scope then my bolt handle will contact the scope eye piece or be close enough I will hit the scope with my hand with manipulating the bolt.

I always try to use the lowest scope rings I can possibly get, putting the scope bell very close to the barrel at times, but of course this results in the bolt knob getting closer to the scope eyepiece. I found my finger getting slightly pinched on bolt opening with a stock Howa bolt handle/knob. The knob on most Howas is small. But, a bolt-on knob, despite being larger in diameter, actually helped, because it is longer and as a result, is more clear of the scope.

Phil

With today's chassis having adjustable combs, the need to have a low scope mount are largely moot. I used to subscribe to the same belief as you, but after having it explained to me (here, actually), it became readily apparent that, while there is some change, it is so small that it effects nothing (practically) having the scope mounted higher.

Yes, adjustable comb is the way to go, avoiding pitfalls of low scope rings. My Howa rifle does not have an adjustable comb, hence the low rings. Unfortunately, still not low enough to get a good sight picture, so it now wears an after-market cheek pad. But at least the knob did eliminate any slight finger pinching against the scope.

Who painted your stock?

Who painted your stock?

Howa started producing there 1500 in the bravo chassis with that scheme. I cant find it anywhere on the website so I emailed them because I though it was a limited edition when I bought it before black Friday. I thought I would have a select few and there response was, "it was going to be a limited production but they sold so fast they are producing more." So I guess they have the black and tan version along with this stars and stripes. The mag has a cool little picture on it as well.

The Spigot lowers the center of gravity of the bipod. IMHO it is worth the $. Rifle feels much more stable.

The thing on the cheek rest is just a piece of thin foam I think. I bought this off another Hide member and it was already on there, so I just ran with it.

I really like the bipod spigot mounts for getting the bipod further out, and IMO is worth the money. The rings I’m using are the Med height ARC M10 rings.