• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Bravo-Remington 700SA (308) install problems

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Bought a KRG Bravo for a Remington 700 in 308. I'm having install problems. I've got the action into the chassis already. I have a FAT torque wrench to I can torque everything correctly. I've even read the instructions.

When I install the front and rear action screws and tighten to the recommended 65 in.lbs, I cannot work the bolt on the rifle. It's jammed by something. I don't know what.

If I loosen off the front action screw, then I can work the bolt again.

The internal magazine out of the old stock has been removed from the action.

I do seem to have one spare washer on my bench which I'm not sure where it came from, but could have been out of the old stock. On the Bravo stock now, with the action inside I have the front and rear action screws in with one washer on the bolt head side, no washer on the action side. So both action screws have a washer on them.

Any ideas?

install the action without the bolt in. Once the action is torqued in place, try and insert the bolt. If you can't insert it, then that will tell you if the action screws are protruding through and stopping the bolt from moving when torqued in. If they are, just trim the screws.

Thanks both, just tried tightening the screws with the bolt out. With screws tightened and bolt out, I can put the bolt back in and push it fully forward, but I cannot close it. Something, probably the action screw, stopping it rotating the last bit to fully close.

I've noticed some kind of cut out on one of the locking lugs on the bolt, about where the front action screw would be. On the back of the channel which looks like it is supposed to be there, there is an enlarged section at one end. Is this supposed to be there or has a too-long screw dug it out? See circled in the second photo.

i-mFh9sgB-L.jpg

i-wRx6K9D-L.jpg

Thanks both, just tried tightening the screws with the bolt out. With screws tightened and bolt out, I can put the bolt back in and push it fully forward, but I cannot close it. Something, probably the action screw, stopping it rotating the last bit to fully close.

I've noticed some kind of cut out on one of the locking lugs on the bolt, about where the front action screw would be. On the back of the channel which looks like it is supposed to be there, there is an enlarged section at one end. Is this supposed to be there or has a too-long screw dug it out? See circled in the second photo.

i-mFh9sgB-L.jpg

i-wRx6K9D-L.jpg
This is part of the anti-bind feature for the when the bolt engages the guide rails in the action. Completely normal.

Remove the forearm plastic cover take the front action screw out and add a washer, snug the action down and see
if you are good. You may have to add 2 washers.

Front action screw is too long, there should be an extra washer that came for this purpose. On mine it made the engagement too short so went to the hardware store with calipers in hand and went through the specialty washer drawers until I found one that was the right thickness.

Grinding a bit off the bolt is also an option if have a way to clean up the threads.

Reactions: TacT-MecH
Here's one from a friend's rifle a year ago.
His bolt would lock in but always felt a little wrong.

Here's the mark on the bottom lug:
20200306_111819.jpg

The offending screw:
20200306_111747.jpg

A few strokes with a file to fix it:
20200306_112627.jpg

Yours could be fixed with the proper washers or by shortening the action screw.
Make sure your bottom metal fits and functions properly before you decide which is the proper fix.

Problem solved by using a second washer on the front action screw :)

I had the same thing happen when I installed my Bravo on a Bergara barreled action. Drove me nuts. Finally I measured each screw with calipers and found that I had evidently mixed them up. I realize you have resolved the problem but it might be helpful for someone in the future.