• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Krieger Barrels ?

savagehunter44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
florida
anyone use Krieger 5R Barrels, the price scares me , only $310. would have thought a 5r barrel would be more.

Re: Krieger Barrels ?

That's the normal price on barrel blanks from alot of your top shelf brands. The wait for one is what should scare you.

I ordered mine from 3rd Generation Shooters Supply (Link ).

Sometimes it is a bit of a wait to have them come into stock, but they are great barrels.

Sounds about right. Bartleins are going for $325

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savagehunter44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone use Krieger 5R Barrels, the price scares me , only $310. would have thought a 5r barrel would be more. </div></div>

I picked up a 5r 30 cal 1-10 krieger a few months back. Ive got around 500rnds through it and shes a tack driver.

I liked this one so much I went with another krieger for my 7mm saum build, and shes a tack driver as-well

Op, as stated these prices are in line but just know that these ate barrel blanks, you still have to have it threaded, chambered, and crowned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savagehunter44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone use Krieger 5R Barrels, the price scares me , only $310. would have thought a 5r barrel would be more. </div></div>

According to their website it is more, it's $340. They would probably be willing to charge you more to eliminate your fear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can`t go wrong with the 3 B`s. Brux, Bartlein, Benchmark. </div></div>

I like that and it is very true too but krieger is at the top also.

You need to add $30 to the $310 price for the 5R rifling. Add chambering, and it's another $270. So, you're at $610 minimum to get a barrel you can shoot with. Add fluting, threads, etc., and the price keeps going up.

Not that it isn't worth it...

John

dont see much on hart barrels,i know a few people say thay used to use them . guess some people just over look them ?

I talked to a tech at Krieger last week about what barrel to get. In asking about 5r rifling he said that they didn't find it was more accurate but , it does produce slightly less in the way of deforming the bullet and because of the more gradual slope of the lands it's a little easier to clean. He said if you can afford it , no reason not to get it , but the accuracy is just as good as traditional rifling .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: protoolsnerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I talked to a tech at Krieger last week about what barrel to get. In asking about 5r rifling he said that they didn't find it was more accurate but , it does produce slightly less in the way of deforming the bullet and because of the more gradual slope of the lands it's a little easier to clean. He said if you can afford it , no reason not to get it , but the accuracy is just as good as traditional rifling . </div></div>

My experience mirrors as far as accuracy, I can't address bullet deformation. I have 2 6xc's one with a Krieger 5r the other a straight Bartlein both in HV contour SS. I can tell zero difference between the two in both accuracy or cleaning. They both clean up very quickly with very light copper up to 100+ rounds.

I always recommend Kreiger's to customers. they are proven, though there are many very good barrel makers out therre. Due to the long wait right now for a Kreiger I did order a Bartlein from Grizzley. The owner is a F class shooter and he buys large quantaties so they are in stock. All the match barrels from the best companies are within about $20.00 of each other.

A lot of the benchrest guys are running them and love them, I know a few guys that hold records that will not shoot anything else now. They say that they feel they are just less likely to get a bad barrel from kreiger than anyone else. All top cut barrel makes make good barrels, but some make a few more duds than others. I own Kreiger, brux, rock creek, hart, and satern abs and not had a bad barrel yet. That said I buy any of they other top barrels and not worry if I made a good decision. As far as 5r I think mine dose clean a little easier, but would buy a standard barrel if it was easier to get.

I got a Krieger on a Stiller Tac 30 in .308. It's not a 5R but it's accurate. 20" w/ 1:11 twist.

Works for me!!!

tar1.jpg

I have a Krieger 22" 1-11 tight bore barrel that shoots pretty consistently around 1/2MOA. I have only had good experiences from the Krieger products I have used, and they have good CS.

Does anyone have any experience with Pac-Nor ? I've heard good things , but i have no first hand experience .

Also , not to thread jack, but has anyone really seen a drop in accuracy in barrels made by button rifling? The one's who don't say that it puts stress on the barrel etc. Who are the manufacturers that don't ? I know Krieger and Bartlein, but are there any others?

I love mine and their prices are inline with other top barrel makers, if you can find one ( that should be a idea of how popular they are) get one you will not be disapointed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thegunnerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experience with Pac-Nor ? I've heard good things , but i have no first hand experience . </div></div>

I have a bit of experience with PacNor. The rifles we have built with those are all sub .3" shooters. Even the ultra lightweights. A recent PacNor 5 groove 7WSM shoots in the zeros. I have two more 338 Lapuas coming up that are getting 30" 5 groove PacNors. We are looking to shoot them to a mile.

In the borescope, button rifled barrels always look smoother than cut rifled barrels. Cut rifled fluted barrels seem to be more consistant for bore size when we slug them. Button barrels are frequently a little loose under the flutes. Doesn't seem to hurt accuracy any.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thegunnerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experience with Pac-Nor ? I've heard good things , but i have no first hand experience .

</div></div>

Have a 22-250AI sporting a Pac-Nor, it shot .25moa all day (if the shooter is on) until my brother burnt it. Had it re-chambered but have not really shot it since.

I have 3 Krieger barrels, two 4 grooves, one 5 R and zero difference in accuracy or clean up. I also have a Douglas and its accurate but doesn't clean up like a Krieger. From now on any other customs I have built will have Kriegers. They are hard to beat and Bruno's shooting supply usually has them in stock.

Thanks for the pac nor info . I was lucky enough to get an obermeyer 5r . Greg from bugholes had it , great guy and awesome to deal with. I may use pac-nor for another build .