• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing KRYPTEK Camo... I wasn't sure at first...

Controlled Chaos Arms

Gun Plumber
Minuteman
When we were approached initially to Cerakote a series of these on a dozen Barretts I was really hesitant. The thought of having a dozen 50s in our curing cabinet was cool, but I wasn't convinced this particular camo style was all that and a bag of chips... I really think after having done many of them in various colors that the Kryptek isn't half bad... It seems to combine what I think are good traits for genuine camo and concealment. It holds both fades of color as well as some sharp lines. I've been critical of coating schemes like digital for the simple reason that if there isn't a great deal of contrast that while it looks fine up close it becomes nearly a solid color at any distance over 50 paces... While do plenty of digi stuff, there are many I like better for true blending both near and far.

What I don't have to quantify my sentiment are photos of the 50 both near and far. While we did place it in rocks, grasses, fields, forest floors, etc., we didn't take any long distance pics. Granted, they wouldn't do it justice, but might have provided some optical reflection for people to consider...

Kryptek and styles similar that combine fades, contrast (within reason), and some sharp lines give the appearance of depth and that makes all the difference to me. Your thoughts???

All in all, I like this design... It is probably one of the few to come along in quite some time that I really like for multiple reasons.

-Michael

Last edited:
The 50 looks great. the color combo with the fades and transitions really make it appear effective.
I'm with you in that I've never taken to the digital camos.
The 1911 looks more like a gimmick than an effective "urban" camo.
The last AR has a deep woodlands theme to it, which I like

While I too doubt the effectiveness of the camo on the 1911....it looks badass and I really like it alot. The 50s on the other hand seem to blend well and look equally badass.

Did you do the pattern with your own stencils? It looks like Kryptek but it seems to be missing some details....this isnt a hydrodip is it?

Either way, they look cool.

Did you do the pattern with your own stencils? It looks like Kryptek but it seems to be missing some details....this isnt a hydrodip is it?

Either way, they look cool.

yes, this is cerakote and we build our own stencils. the two day chore of building the stencil for this was no fun and at one point i thought i'd actually gone blind... lol. but, i do like the pattern and it works well for the important purposes of camo...

not sure what you're asking...

Krypteks patterns are all the same, but they change colors and the names that go with it. Mandrake is their jungle color. Highlander is kind of a scrub oak brushy color, like the .50 up top. Yeti is their snow pattern.

Thats the issue with Kryptek (and other camo patterns), it requires a substantial area to be effective. On smaller items it will only look good close up but at a distance the differences in color variation and pattern become indiscernible and it takes on one solid looking color.

Thats the issue with Kryptek (and other camo patterns), it requires a substantial area to be effective. On smaller items it will only look good close up but at a distance the differences in color variation and pattern become indiscernible and it takes on one solid looking color.

it is with great irony we say that really. for the small pieces are so insignificant with a splash of color that they'll do ok in many environments.... the larger it is, the more area you have to work with, but you need it all that area to lay down an effective pattern to represent depth and contrast... lol.

all in all, this pattern is pretty good. perfect camo needs to be three dimensional, thus the ghillie suit... i rarely have customers take me up on my suggestion to tear some strips of burlap and wrap and dangle them from the barrel or scope body... any small thing like this helps. those that do enjoy better concealment, but some simply won't do it. while that makes my job a bit harder, they're the customers, and they're in the wheel house on the direction of the project. i can only advise and comply.

'you're payin' and i'm paintin'...

The Barrett looks awesome! That takes some serious concentration for that type of pattern.

While i personally think kryptek is an eyesore, i cant dispute its effectiveness. I have a couple of good buddies that using the clothing for huntin and it works really well. I just think it looks ugly as shot close up.

While i personally think kryptek is an eyesore, i cant dispute its effectiveness. I have a couple of good buddies that using the clothing for huntin and it works really well. I just think it looks ugly as shot close up.

that's part of it sometimes... often times people respond to the 'camo' they prefer as they awe it over from 18" away... as far as i'm concerned, they can have what they want... after all, they're paying for it. however, when asked, i have an ethical obligation to answer honestly. when i respond with 'i think that thing looks like hammered shit' few people ask me a second question... lol.

it really boils down to what you're going to use the weapon for 90% of the time... this is true of the entire weapon in my opinion. whether it be trigger choice or setting, barrel configuration, etc., they all need to be thought about in true and accurate terms of use... if you apply that to camo and then make sure that not only does it appeal to you up close, but that it'll blend well from distance, then i'd say you were on the right track regardless of personal preference otherwise...

-michael

The 50 and AR look outstanding. I am a fan of Kryptek, and hopefully can get a rifle sent in to be painted in the pattern. Great work.

Nice looking, but with my bolt rifles plan to engage any of my adversaries at distance and they won't be able to appreciate all the pretty patterns. Perfect for a safe Queen or mantle adornment!

These are BADASS! Great job painting the kryptec patterns on these firearms.

I also really like the colors and pattern on the 50 - minus the receiver being left uncoated (second view). The barrel doesn't really bother me, but for some reason the receiver not being coated in the pattern does -- maybe just personal taste...

The 50 looks good I don't know about the others, but to each his own

Kryptek Stencils

Will you sell the stencils ?

If so, price please...

many thanks! we don't get down under very often, but the next time we do, i'll do the spray and you provide the sullivan's... ;)

Done deal..have it all organised for you! Few places to go shoot, couple of King of the Hammers buggies to play in, food beverages and accommodation...no one down here seems even willing to give it a go so you may have a couple of rifles to spray :)