• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing KY elk hunting

BusterB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
Bristol, VA
Hey guys,
I got a wild hair and put in for the drawing for a KY elk not thinking I would ever draw one first year. Something magical happened though and I drew a cow tag for the south at large hunting area. (hazard etc)

Just thought I would check here to see if anyone knew any landowners that needed a little thinning of the herd done. If I can't hookup with anyone I wouldn't be against a guide service, but the draw I have is the week of Christmas so work has a no vacation policy that week so I am stuck just going a couple random days driving from SWVA

thanks in advance!
B

You have elk in KY? Man, I live in Colorado and if I was in a bar and someone bet me whether or not they have elk in KY, I would have said no! Anyhow good luck, if you need any pointers from elk hunters out west, let me know but I'm not sure the terrain is the same.

We have a boat load of elk in eastern KY. It's the largest herd east of the Mississippi River. Some are even predicting that the next world record will come from these parts in the next 10 years. It a very successful restoration program...

A good friend of mine's daughter drew a bull elk tag (rifle) in 2012 in KY. She killed a very nice 6x6 over in the eastern part of the state. I've seen lots of people travel all the way out west and pay big money to take smaller or worse, nothing at all. There is also a herd in TN I am told.
I read a funny story a few years ago about a KY "hunter". Seems he went out on his first ever deer hunt and came back with a huge "deer". Turned out to be an elk and he lost his hunting license for ten years I believe.