• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes L&S Inc. ULTRA 10 X-M3A scopes

jjjxlr8

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2020
I was looking for an ex-USGI optic to use with my M24 or maybe on my M1A/M25 rifle and picked up a 1986 vintage ULTRA 10X-M3A scope. I didn't realize it at the time, but it has a "Christmas tree" reticle that I think was used with a different rifle system (.50 BMG?). I know these scopes are really popular with the mildot cross hair reticle for use on the M24 rifles but is there a market for the scope I have? I'm trying to decide whether to sell this one in order to get one with the proper reticle for my rifles or to maybe send it back to Leupold to see if they could change the reticle. Not sure if that is an option or not, actually.

What advice do you have for me besides be more careful when purchasing expensive optics? :)

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

I saw one sell a couple years ago with a Leupold box that was labeled "w/Barrett Reticle". It sold for a little over $1000. Is this the reticle you have?

9.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
1.jpg

Reactions: jjjxlr8
Leupold used to change out reticles at a fairly low cost, but I heard that the cost has gone up. Then when I asked specifics they said that their custom shop was reevaluating their pricing and couldn't give a quote. I would give their customer service a call and see what they say.

You may be ahead to sell this one as is because it is a fairly rare scope, and then look for a correct mil-dot reticle Ultra or early Mark 4 scope.

Yeah, I think that's probably the best option. It's in great condition though. If only it had the M24 style reticle! These M3A scopes are not easy to find these days. I'd go for a Mark 4, but with all the fakes out there, I'm afraid of getting stuck with a Chinese copy.

Thanks for the information. I know that it's called the Barrett style reticle now!

My search continues...

Just a quick update. I contacted Leupold and they were nice enough to send a .pdf of the manual for this scope. They also said that they had limited details on these since the reticle was designed by Barrett and they were only produced as a contract for Barrett. He said Leupold never produced this version for retail sales and that's why they don't have much information on it.

i got one of these scopes too and am offering it for sale. Mine came with old A.R.M.S. rings. @Random Guy suggested they could be off a HASKINS 50 cal. While I dont see pics of a haskins with an Ultra m3a, they do appear to use the same arms rings in some instances that came attached to my m3a w/ barrett reticle.

Interesting. I have never seen an M3A with that Barrett reticle before. I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Also, I have an M3A with mil dots and I think a set of Leupold rings if you are still looking for them.