• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision L3 Insight Cratos

10p5s

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2014
Florida
Is anyone knows about this product?

IEA - Cratos

I just discovered while looking the thermal sights but couldn't find any information in other places.

1385559786.jpg

Vaporware. We saw it over in Germany at IWA (Euro Shot Show) but there are no current plans to manufacturer it according to a top product manager at Insight. Too bad- I thought it was a really nice unit with great features and one of the few thermal weapon devices that have a real weapon rated thermal core.

Jason

2 years ago, I borrowed one from a dealer buddy one weekend, & it was awesome. IMHO, my Mark 3 35mm picture was just as good as the 320 unit I borrowed😳
6yr old thread... LOL

2 years ago, I borrowed one from a dealer buddy one weekend, & it was awesome. IMHO, my Mark 3 35mm picture was just as good as the 320 unit I borrowed😳
6yr old thread... LOL
There's a reason this thread was brought up again from 6 years ago is my guess. ;-)

I had one a few years back. It was adopted by a group of well-dressed guys that didn't smile much.

I did get a cool receipt as a token of their appreciation. ;)

It was a nice piece of kit 5 years ago. Most of the higher-end commercial stuff available today produces a better image. On capabilities alone, I'd take a 60mm ReapIR or 50mm Halo-LR over the Cratos.

To me, it'd be like buying a set of used 1800 FOM GP PVS-31's over a brand new set of DTNVGs with 24UA L3 WP tubes for the same price.

Lol how many times have the good ole agents of Wu visited you now???😂😂😂 you Must know them on a first name basis by now 😂😂

It has been some years now. I don’t play in that sandbox anymore. When you watch $300K worth of gear walk away it takes a bit of the wind out of your sails.:)

The strength of them was the versatility and ruggedness.

Three modes of operation:
1- Handheld for quick scanning/detection
2- Standalone. Mount and zero to the weapon as the primary optic.
3- Clip-On. Mount in front of optic (LPVO and ACOGS are best suited) for true shoot through with little/no POI shift.

Laser marker is built in.
Not really fair to compare it to some other thermal units now in circulation that may have better resolution in stand-alone use. They are tanks, are physically small and excel at closer ranges.

./

Reactions: WhereNow&How
It was a nice piece of kit 5 years ago. Most of the higher-end commercial stuff available today produces a better image. On capabilities alone, I'd take a 60mm ReapIR or 50mm Halo-LR over the Cratos.

To me, it'd be like buying a set of used 1800 FOM GP PVS-31's over a brand new set of DTNVGs with 24UA L3 WP tubes for the same price.

Respectfully, I don't think it is fair to compare it to the REAP or Halo-LR.
They are built just for longer range detection and come with all the limitations any thermal built for that role would have. The CRATOS is for shorter ranges, has crazy wide FOV and is way more hardened/rugged than REAP or Halo. It was not designed to do what the units you listed were made to do.

The very roles that the CRATOS would excel in are the same roles a user with the REAP or Halo would struggle with.

./