• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Labradar issue with suppressor?

Zback

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 8, 2019
I ordered the OG recoil trigger but it still misses some shots. Any recommendations on how to orientate the gun and chrono?

When you say it misses shots, is the radar triggered, or does it not see the bullet? If it's a trigger issue, look at the sensitivity settings and the placement of the trigger unit. If it's not seeing the bullet, take care with the aiming of the unit and vibration of the mount. It must be solidly mounted and the antenna must be aligned with the target area with few or no obstructions to the beam. Higher off the ground is better than lower

Reactions: 6.5SH
Already have a external recoil trigger

When you say it misses shots, is the radar triggered, or does it not see the bullet? If it's a trigger issue, look at the sensitivity settings and the placement of the trigger unit. If it's not seeing the bullet, take care with the aiming of the unit and vibration of the mount. It must be solidly mounted and the antenna must be aligned with the target area with few or no obstructions to the beam. Higher off the ground is better than lower
It gives me a error.

Again, what is the actual problem? Does the recoil trigger not activate? Check the sensitivity setting and placement/security of the mounting point. If the trigger works but you get an acquisition message, check the alignment and security of the radar mount. If the radar is on a mount where it can vibrate on recoil it may miss the return.

Again, what is the actual problem? Does the recoil trigger not activate? Check the sensitivity setting and placement/security of the mounting point. If the trigger works but you get an acquisition message, check the alignment and security of the radar mount. If the radar is on a mount where it can vibrate on recoil it may miss the return.
I'm having trouble getting it to read reliably. It sometimes reads and captures others it just triggers and fails to capture.

Could be the the Labradar isn't pointed directly at the flight path. I usually have mine pointed sightly above the target

Ok, typing at the same time. The error message indicates the trigger activated and fired the radar. That means it either triggered early, like on closing the bolt and you missed the message, or the projectile could not be seen by the beam, either due to alignment, obstructions or vibration.

Reactions: 6.5SH

Attachments

• B86EB5C2-4DDD-45A4-883E-2F3B0713CD74.jpeg
    B86EB5C2-4DDD-45A4-883E-2F3B0713CD74.jpeg
    711.8 KB · Views: 122
I don't know about anyone else but I never put my labradar in front of the plane of the muzzle. I put mine over to the side and behind the muzzle plane. With my JKL trigger the only time I've missed shots is when it wasn't lined up with the target and when I had my settings wrong.

No doubt the bench vibrates when you shoot and from the look of that photo, the radar is well off angle.

Put the unit on a tripod next to the bench, hang a weight or strap it down if it’s at all wobbly. Use a carpenters square on the front plate to align the unit with the target, or get one of the sights from MK Machineing.

@Zback Do you actually shoot with the suppressor on the leather rest? Or off the hand guard, putting the suppressor out in front of the Labradar? Seems like you’d char leather in any case.

Mine has never been sensitive to angle. Broadly pointed in the general direction has always worked. It will never work with the suppressor out in front of the Labradar, unless I switched the trigger to doppler.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I'm having trouble getting it to read reliably. It sometimes reads and captures others it just triggers and fails to capture.
Ok, then this is an aiming problem. While "sights" that attach to the LR are available, I use a 4" length of 1/4" rigid plastic tube laid in the aiming notch to align the unit with the target - and, in your photo, it looks like you're doing the same thing... but, as others have said, the LR doesn't look aligned to the bullet line of flight. I tried taping the "aiming tube" to the notch in the LR, and found that just resting the tube in the notch, aiming, tightening everything down, and putting the tube back in the carrying case before firing works better.

There is definitely a learning curve with the LR, but, once I learned its idiosyncrasies, I very seldom miss readings now, even with .22LR triggered with the LR microphone.

@Zback Do you actually shoot with the suppressor on the leather rest? Or off the hand guard, putting the suppressor out in front of the Labradar? Seems like you’d char leather in any case.

Mine has never been sensitive to angle. Broadly pointed in the general direction has always worked. It will never work with the suppressor out in front of the Labradar, unless I switched the trigger to doppler.
No, I do not shoot like that, just had it resting at the moment.

Alignment looks way off in that pic....I use a 6" plastic speed square to aim my labradar at target... with the trigger I have my LR a good 12" or so behind the muzzle and I pick up every shot....

Did full load development last week with my 9mm suppressed AR with 165gr subs... picked them up without issue. Been using LR for years. All about the setup

Lots of good feedback above. What I have found to work best is to use an external trigger (which you say you have). Make sure you adjust the trigger sensitivity. Make sure you are using the right velocity range. I find that using a quadpod to mount the radar above the barrel has been less finicky then when it is placed right next (left or right) of the barrel. For me this may be more about muzzle blast from a brake that is causing my problems.

When I look at the photo, the other things that jump out as potential problems is the radar in front of the rifle and it being poorly supported. It wasn't clear in your prior post regarding the position if it was just about the suppressor on the rest or that AND the fact that the radar is in front of the rifle (not a good idea). If you are shooting at the white target, while it shouldn't be a problem, consider switching to one of those in the background (which looks to be higher) to reduce the impact of reflection from the ground. Lastly, I have to wonder about shooting with the metal fence and gate in front of you. While the radar signal is going to very much be very much a cone shape, that is not an absolute. There is a potential that you might be getting some reflections off the metal. This may not be a problem, but it's worth mentioning. You could run a few tests by shooting up even with the fence to see if that helps. I think the biggest issue with the Labradar is just figuring out the combo that works and then once you do that, they can be pretty reliable. Good luck.

From the looks of that pic, I believe muzzle blast, and/or vibration are interfering. Aiming may be off-axis as well. To begin with, using a recoil trigger there's no reason whatsoever to put the unit in front of the muzzle where it is exposed to blast. Also, it appears to be too close to the bore axis. The closest setting in the Menu is 6 inches off the bore axis, where yours appears to be only about 2 inches.

I run mine with a suppressor and recoil trigger with very few problems. I put the unit just in front of the action (about where your cartridge box is in the pic, but on the left side of the rifle). I have the Offset setting set to 6 inches in the menu, and the unit is set 6 inches to the left of the bore. One advantage of this placement is that the unit is within reach of the shooting position and controls can be manipulated while behind the rifle without using the phone app. This may also contribute to keeping my problems very few. About the only error I get is a false trigger if I close the bolt too hard. You can clear the message by simply pressing the Enter button, but it will still capture the next shot even if you don't.

It sounds like your unit is triggering every shot, but if not then placing the trigger in a solid mounting location and adjusting the sensitivity settings should clear it up.

Last edited:
With my LabRadar, if the batteries aren’t new, then there are issues. Even with new batteries, after 30 to 45 minutes it acts up. Using an external battery pack seemed to help..

From the looks of that pic, I believe muzzle blast, and/or vibration are interfering. Aiming may be off-axis as well. To begin with, using a recoil trigger there's no reason whatsoever to put the unit in front of the muzzle where it is exposed to blast. Also, it appears to be too close to the bore axis. The closest setting in the Menu is 6 inches off the bore axis, where yours appears to be only about 2 inches.

I run mine with a suppressor and recoil trigger with very few problems. I put the unit just in front of the action (about where your cartridge box is in the pic, but on the left side of the rifle). I have the Offset setting set to 6 inches in the menu, and the unit is set 6 inches to the left of the bore. One advantage of this placement is that the unit is within reach of the shooting position and controls can be manipulated while behind the rifle without using the phone app. This may also contribute to keeping my problems very few. About the only error I get is a false trigger if I close the bolt too hard. You can clear the message by simply pressing the Enter button, but it will still capture the next shot even if you don't.

It sounds like your unit is triggering every shot, but if not then placing the trigger in a solid mounting location and adjusting the sensitivity settings should clear it up.
This is probably a moot point since he’s using a trigger, but the offsets per the manual are 1-6”, 7-12”, and 13-18”. The screen just generically reads 6,12,and 18.

"Place the LabRadar in a position where it will not be impacted by ejecting cartridge cases,
muzzle debris/blast or other items. THE LABRADAR SHOULD BE PROTECTED FROM
WEAPONS WITH MUZZLE BRAKES. PLACE THE LabRadar IN A POSTION SO IT IS NOT
DIRECTLY IMPACTED BY THE MUZZLE BLAST. A BARRIER BETWEEN THE MUZZLE AND
LABRADAR TO PROTECT THE SYSTEM CAN ALSO BE USED.
Firearms with suppressors or that have a very low muzzle blast such as 22 LR may need
to be moved closer to the side of the radar and the muzzle even with, or behind the
LabRadar."