• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Labradar or Magneto Speed

Used the magneato and labradar on 10 rounds today. The labradar averaged 5 fps faster than the magneato speed.

Close enough for me.

Well I ended up going with the labradar. I got a shooting buddy to split the cost with me during Brownells 10% with free shipping sale. Now I need to order the aiming device from MKM.

Reactions: JimLee
I've used a MS Spotter fro years with good results but always kind of disliked the poi shift as well as the potential for the harmonics being a bit different if you use it during load dev. I borrowed a buddy of mine's Labradar this summer when I was in a hurry to do load dev and break in a barrel prior to a big match and ever since then I've been sold. I run a bunch of switch barrel rigs and usually shoot a lot of .223 and .308 for practice before spinning on a 6mm barrel before a match. It's really nice to be able to zero and check speed at the same time with no poi shift. I ordered a Labrador on BF and looking forward to it getting here as I have a couple other barrels to do load dev and break in on!

Also, when I directly compared my MS Spotter to the Labrador, the MS was 20fps slower. Using the numbers from the Labrador and the bc that I had previously used on that bullet had my dope line up out to 1400 yards.

If you run a muzzle device so the Ms can't slip off and get shot I think it has its uses. Ladder tests and es sd testing. As far as final load testing I wouldn't use it.

Reactions: JimLee
With the phone app the Labradar is a very convenient tool, I cant speak for crowded ranges... it may be a pain in the ass on those. However it seems if I am at the range and only one other soul is there they will park their crap right next to me and be shooting a 338 with a massive brake on it.

Never had any issues.

Reactions: Stooxie
With the phone app the Labradar is a very convenient tool, I cant speak for crowded ranges... it may be a pain in the ass on those. However it seems if I am at the range and only one other soul is there they will park their crap right next to me and be shooting a 338 with a massive brake on it.

Never had any issues.

Quoted for truth! Seriously, people pick range lanes worse than they pick urinals. I swear those people just want someone to talk to but don't seem to understand something about appropriateness!

-Stooxie

Just a little comparison, nothing extreme. A larger test will be needed to make it scientific but it demonstrates that the labradar averages about 5fps higher.

I took 10 cases and I brushed the necks before seating and I took 10 cases that were not bushed. I then shot 5 of of each with the magneato on the barrel with the labradar reading as well. (I shot the remaining 5 of each on paper with just the labradar, brushing necks appears to reduce your sd from this small sample and on paper looked better as well, not much but a bit)

1543851166399.png

Just a little comparison, nothing extreme. A larger test will be needed to make it scientific but it demonstrates that the labradar averages about 5fps higher.

I took 10 cases and I brushed the necks before seating and I took 10 cases that were not bushed. I then shot 5 of of each with the magneato on the barrel with the labradar reading as well. (I shot the remaining 5 of each on paper with just the labradar, brushing necks appears to reduce your sd from this small sample and on paper looked better as well, not much but a bit)

View attachment 6979975

good study.

brushing necks? is this is a simple as i am thinking you mean (just running a small nylon brush into the case mouth to remove any debris) or are you referring to something else?

good study.

brushing necks? is this is a simple as i am thinking you mean (just running a small nylon brush into the case mouth to remove any debris) or are you referring to something else?
Yep, thats it. I use a redding brush in a lyman reamer body
1543851841577.png
1543851896648.png

Here is the data with the shots straight up to one another.
1543851807459.png

I use a sonic cleaner (cheapo harbor freight) and my brass looks like new inside and out not sure a brush would help me. My SD are usually good anyways but never hurts to improve. Interesting how close the MS and the LR are, once I moved my LR to be exactly even with the barrel my FPS was identical to my MS.

The only bummer of the LR for me was before the phone app I would forget to arm the darn thing and shoot a couple shots of a string before I caught it.

I use a sonic cleaner (cheapo harbor freight) and my brass looks like new inside and out not sure a brush would help me. My SD are usually good anyways but never hurts to improve. Interesting how close the MS and the LR are, once I moved my LR to be exactly even with the barrel my FPS was identical to my MS.

The only bummer of the LR for me was before the phone app I would forget to arm the darn thing and shoot a couple shots of a string before I caught it.

Ha! Brushing with graphite might help, only in the inverse way, even out the sticky clean brass.

I was shooting suppressed and having the labradar even to or behind the muzzle meant that it didnt trigger. Moved the muzzle 4" behind the radar and it worked well. Might take some more testing to see if thats a big deal with gasses interfering (omega anchor brake throws gas to the side as well) or whatnot but so far it seems fine to me.

I also did a seating depth test for the 6xc at 500 and it didnt catch the 7th shot but I think its because I was messing with the phone app and I think I had it or the phones processor tied up or . If you close the phone while using the app you need to reestablish the connection I think, I just pressed arm but I dont think the radar got that signal. Hitting the refresh button and restablishing the connection and all was well again.

I then did a test on an ar nd several of the series I only had 3 shots register out of the 4. I either started shooting to fast after hitting arm so the radar wasnt ready, too fast in a row back to back and it needs more time between shots, or I messed up on the app somehow. Ill need to test it more as far as that goes, I didnt look back at the data until I got home so I didnt notice it when shooting to watch.

I have had some issues with the app primarily on my Pixel XL2 none whatsoever on other phones (iphone, Samsung). The app would close and somehow the LR would disarm. I don't shoot suppressed on the range so I haven't noticed an issue, I guess I should test that out.

I have both.
magneto speed - I have found that even on a heavy contour barrel (MTU) 24" that it did have some effect on group size and point of impact. Try turning the magneto in 1/4 turn increments around the barrel. so load development and group shooting couldn't be accomplished together.

labradar - it is frustrating to see that you forgot to hit the button to arm it, or that it missed a shot and you are 3 more down in the group. The biggest surprise to me was shooting prone. If I am on the ground I get inconsistent readings as far as no shot recorded. I have found that small vegation and small wind drifts of dirt can effect it. If I get off the ground and shoot off a bench prone in the same exact spot on the same exact target it works.

each has its points but for doing all in one the Labradar is the way to go. We have a local monthly belly shoot at targets up to 1400 yards away, at variouns angles and I can aim the gun at the target and get readings all thru the day to see how things effect my velocity. It is not powerful enough to get a fix on a bullet over 100 yards, I did try reseting the parameters and had to set them back LOL

I will be downloading the app momentarily...

Bob

After using both, I prefer the LR if you’re going to shoot multiple guns on the same day. I got tired of swapping the mounts out on the MS every time I wanted to shoot a different rifle. Both units performed great though.

Just saying...I've never had an issue with my el cheapo chronograph from Competition Electronics... not much to go wrong...unless you shoot it.

Oh my old Chrony works it's an annoying pain in the butt but it works probably it's in the bottom of the closet in my basement but I'm sure it works.

I have access to both. I would use MS as it has been more reliable for me. I would disagree with the guys saying it plays havoc with POI/Harmonics. I load test for Mil using AI rifles predominantly and have seen no discernible difference. The LR has given a lot of ghost readings when used on small ranges around other shooters.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
To OP, if shooting suppressed, @spife7980 is correct on placement: you will need to get radar in front of muzzle to trigger off the Sonic "crack". OR you can buy the mic attachment, which is WELL WORTH the $30-40 so that you can place it anywhere along side rifle and still have it trigger. Or third option is to switch to "Doppler" trigger which will measure speed of bullet as it enters the radar cone and eliminates false triggers from other shooters. Any of these will help if shooting suppressed and/or at busy ranges.

If on a busy range shooting suppressed with mic attached, you will need to turn down the sensitivity to 5-7 or possibly more. Will remove majority of false triggers from other rifles going bang.

I've owned both products and actually like both, but the convenience of the LR won me over. Nothing touches rifle, data is very precise, and can be used with pistol, rifles, bows, airguns etc.

Reactions: spife7980
I have both and the magnetospeed ? will change point of impact and group size at least on mine and every rifle I have stuck out on. I do realize you can purchase mounts which will correct this. If clamping something on a barrel has no impact on anything why bother with free floating the barrel.

Had the MS sold it once I bought the labradar since I no linger used it. I have not had issues with other lanes interfering and like that I can use it on any weapon including handguns. Have had mine for 2 years now and no complaints. I use mine with a 12"x12" piece of plywood (bolt through the plywood goes into the labradar. I once had to put a couple boxes of ammo on the plywood, but it was very windy. Otherwise never had an issue in wind. Do not bother with batteries, just get a phone charging battery pack and you are good for a whole day, and recharge it once you are home.

For those of you having trigger or "pickup" issues on your labradar, I made a simple recoil sensor that plugs in and has been well received.
There is some conversation on it here:
https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ge-brakes-and-cans-sure.6917644/#post-7413643

If you want to see the videos on it:
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7nAoC5cEfdsq1xYQGFhhKDWc5ZtAd2of

Facebook post:

I don’t come here often so for those of you who are quite vocal about your lack of Facebook send a message here and I’ll get back to you when time permits

Reactions: WVHick