• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ladder testing. *Check out the results*

CLICKBANGBANG

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
I'm running my first ladder test on a 7mm Rem Mag using Berger 180 grain VDLs. It's a Winchester M70 with a light (sporter) 26" barrel. The VDLs are set right on the lands in front of H1000. Fire formed Winchester brass and Federal 215M primers. I'm starting low at 58 grains and working up to 68 grains.

Sunday I'm going out to shoot these at 400 yards. Running the ballistics there is only 9" of drop difference between 58 grains (approximately 2,400 FPS) and 68 grains (at 2900 FPS). I'm hoping there will be enough variances in the 9" to show a node.

Any additional advice here would be appreciated. Thanks.
smile.gif

Re: Ladder testing.

I think you will be able to see the nodes. I ran my first ladder a couple of weeks ago at 300yds with a .308 and only had 6.25" of vertical spread. I could clearly see 2 nodes within my test and it helped the OCW tests that I was kinda questioning!

make sure you shoot your ladder round robin style , 58-68grs sounds like to much though , you could see several nodes in only a 3 grain spread test with something like a .223 , so i might not work around the slower 2400 fps loads since you probably wont be using those anyways. maybe something like 62-68 ,? how many rounds are you going to shoot per charge weight ?

I've got .5 grain increases and going to shoot two test to run next to each other. So two rounds per charge weight.

Thanks for the help.
smile.gif

Raining a little now. I'm hoping it slows down and dries up some for my shoot.

Well I got out to do the shooting. So freaking foggy, it was hard to pick up the target at times.

I'm working on the charges per shot number now.

1zbdnnn.jpg

21o3b02.jpg