• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lakewood PD shooting

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
It was a horrible thing, but one LEO shot another and killed him.
Not a lot of information out on this but there is some in the Denver Post.
There was a fence between the officers and verbal commands didn't work too well,obviously.
The shooter will have to live with this the rest of his life and my heart goes out to him, tough row to hoe.
What will happen to him?
Use of excessive force, manslaughter, piss poor training and not qualified? Shooting took place over about 10 to 20 feet through a fence. A lack of communications.
Is the shooters career in LE over or will he be able to continue?
I feel sorry for him and know it will not be easy for him. Tragic to say the least. Regards, FM

Re: Lakewood PD shooting

prayers go out to both familys, very tragic ordeal. good to see alot of support from the community with love and money for the widow and her young child. $10,000.00 from one person. the money will help but cant fix a broken heart and family.
very sad....

Over the last few days the News has shown a lot of people coming out in support of the widow and her children. Money, food, flowers etc.
This is great and I am all for it, however, there is another person feeling bad about this in more ways than most of us could know and that is the LEO that shot his fellow officer.
If I knew how to help him I would, with money or anything else that I could do for him.
They broadcast how to send to the widow but not the shooter.
He will live with this for the rest of his life and I know that will be rough.
It will be interesting to see how he is supported and where he goes from here as to his career and his life.
I wish him well and pray for him.
That is all I have to say about this. Tragic. Regards, FM

Very tragic. I knew James better of the two and worry a lot about the other fellow and what he must be going through. I understand from the other LPD guys that the situation had been going for about 4.5 hrs and was still somewhat chaotic in the search.
Another good man and great LEO down

My son is LEO in the area and told me he feels that the shooter is done, over with, that no one would trust him again.
That is sad but I do understand.
Perhaps it is time for the upper end to look at the people they put out on patrol and weed out some.

This is the second fatal shooting for this officer. Maybe he needed more desk time or maybe he should not have been on the streets at all.
I now look at this as a failure of the upper end, by that I mean his closest supervisor and those above that supervisor.
Obviously, training was lacking. Identify your target before you bust caps. Taught in Infantry AIT to me years ago. Served me well.
My heart and prayers still go out for him, but I sure am wondering about his training and supervision. Regards, FM

That's awful, didn't something like this happen very recently with the border patrol? I think that was due to poor radio communication though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My son is LEO in the area and told me he feels that the shooter is done, over with, that no one would trust him again.
That is sad but I do understand.
Perhaps it is time for the upper end to look at the people they put out on patrol and weed out some.

This is the second fatal shooting for this officer. Maybe he needed more desk time or maybe he should not have been on the streets at all.
I now look at this as a failure of the upper end, by that I mean his closest supervisor and those above that supervisor.
Obviously, training was lacking. Identify your target before you bust caps. Taught in Infantry AIT to me years ago. Served me well.
My heart and prayers still go out for him, but I sure am wondering about his training and supervision. Regards, FM </div></div>

I have a relative who knows the officer who pulled the trigger very well and works with him on the SWAT team. West Metro Denver police departments have combined their department SWAT teams to train and work together. Apparently the officer is one of the commanding officers for SWAT and he is highly respected and known for being one of the most experienced and knowledgable officers on the entire Lakewood PD. If they decided to "weed out" some of the officers, then I'm sure that he would have been one of the individuals involved in the decision making process, not one of the ones being reviewed.

I also heard that this was the second fatal shooting that he has been involved in but it sounds like the first one was the right decision. Everybody makes mistakes but unfortunately for him, this mistake had a lot more of an impact with all parties involved.

I don't mean to beat on the guy, just question the training and como between the good guys and bad ones, and hopefully get better training etc.
There were times in my life that I completely agreed with those above me, both military and civilian, and other times that I wondered,"Who in the hell came up with this Lash-Up?"
I am sure you will concur.
Just because he is up on the totum pole doesn't make him always right.
What if at one of their training sessions he had suggested a code /password to be used in situations like that?
Worked in the Infantry for us so why not there? He probably would not now be feeling as he does now.
My feelings go out for him along with my prayers.
Bad/ incomplete training. IMHO. Regards, FM

Northglenn CO PD had a similar incident in the late 80's early 90's. Bad guy got between two officers and caused a cross fire incident. Department was still torn over it and there are only a couple people still around that we're there. Horrible for everyone.......