• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lance Armstrong charged?

Re: Lance Armstrong charged?

Is this a real goverment agency?

They cannot bring "Criminal" charges....but they have the power to strip previous awards..

And all this time I thought the lost weight of one nut made him faster....

USADA was created by the US Olympic Committee to be an independent agency for the purpose of investigating doping in sports. They're not a law enforcement agency (not really even part of the government) but their decisions do hold sway with most sports sanctioning bodies in the US. If USADA proclaims that Pharmstrong doped during any of his Tour de France wins, the Amaury Sport Organisation (which runs the TdF) <span style="text-decoration: underline">will</span> vacate them.

Which could mean Jan Ullrich, another convicted doper, will wake up one morning to discover he has become is the fifth greatest rider in Tour de France history.

This is the anticipated fallout from the Novitzky investigation. Floyd Landis turned state's evidence and ratted out Pharmstrong for systemic drug use while Lance was an employee of the US Postal Service. The Feds initiated a <span style="font-style: italic">Qui Tam</span> investigation with FLandis as beneficiary, meaning that if they found that Pharmstrong had scammed the government, FLandis would receive a portion of any money they recovered.

The Feds put FDA agent Jeff Novitzky, the guy who had run MLB's BALCO investigation, on the case. He spent a couple of years running down leads on everything from bribery to drug smuggling to illegally dispensing pharmaceuticals to money laundering to conspiracy to do all the above, and finally closed up shop without filing any charges. He did, however, give all the evidence he had accumulated to the USADA.

So this is the USADA taking action based on the evidence Novitzky had uncovered.

And if this ends in Pharmstrong being sanctioned by the USADA, it should precipitate about 20 years worth of civil suits from USPS and Nike and all his old sponsors. His Lanceness might be able to survive losing million$ in civil suits and lawyer's fees and bad PR, but he's not the only individual USADA is going after in this. None of the rest of them have Lance's bank account and some of them could decide to do the FLandis thing, which means this yet could end in criminal charges.

Lance's defense to this point is the same old, same old. I never doped and the fact I never got caught proves it. FLandis and Tyler Hamilton freely admit they'd been doping their entire careers but they only got caught once, so all Pharmstrong's denials prove is that he's a better cheat than they were.

You mean he didn't win because of those nifty bracelets??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Lance's defense to this point is the same old, same old. I never doped and the fact I never got <span style="color: #FF0000">caught</span> proves it. </div></div>
If in fact this statement is true; that would proove it to me!
grin.gif

If you want to figure out who else was doping back then, it's really simple. 2006 TdF started off with a doping scandal and 13 riders DQ. Stage 11, all the riders that should have done well cracked that day. EPO when injected into the skin is pretty much undetectable but not as potent as injected intravenously. However if you stop taking it, the effects continue to last about 10 days. Hmm...

Oh brother. Not again. Armstrong has never failed a drug test. Did he dope? I dont know. Bt it seems that everyone else that doped failed a drug test at some point. USADA should go spend money elsewhere.