• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Laptop Recommendations

Yeah I'm late to the party.

SInce I am old, but a "computer dude" (Its my day job--forcasting the needs of a F100 company and their IT dept), My recomendation would be a desktop--more bang for the buck--laptops--even good ones have a lifespan of 3 years AT MOST. They get dinged up, beat around etc. My wife and daughter avg 2 years per replacement.

Meanwhile my desktops are still functional after 10+ years. They die because they get too slow and find good homes in the less fortunate.

Anyhoo--if set on a laptop, there is good advice:
Dell
HP
Lenovo (former IBM)
Acer
Asus
Any one of those I would buy if I found the right feature set. It will be tough to get a touchscreen in that range (my wife was a big fan of that), but look for what is important for you. If you don't really know what's important--better processor (and the processor numbering is all jacked up to confuse consumers) and memory. Don't go overboard as their are diminishing returns. i3<i5<i7 as a GENERAL rule of thumb. Some i5s are faster than i7s, you can always look up a review and test it out.

Don't rule out a chrome book--that just means all your data is stored in the cloud rather than on the computer. But they cost WAAY less and for looking for performance on the cost savings side--it may be an option. Most schools use this kind of option.

Apple-No. I hate em. Cost to much and its more like a cult. I am forced to use a Mac at work. its a $2800 POS. It offends me that I could have 3 laptops with the same performance or a desktop that could run research level Artificial Intelligence for the same price (Multi core/Multi-CPu/Multi-GPU).

Shop around and if you have questions PM me. I've bought 10+ laptops in my lifetime for family with kids starting at 10.
I ended up buying a NUC. Had hell getting the Thunderbolt port to drive the other monitor. Finally figured out that the intel tool for drivers doesn't really work. Installed drivers (probably some more than I needed) and it works fine now. Well, mostly fine. If I unplug the port driving the display port with the T-Bolt port, then I have to reboot to get port to read a data drive or reconnect to monitor. Kinda wonky. Other than that, I like the 4" square on my desk that's a hell of a lot less intrusive than the laptop was.

Glad you (or somebody) suggested this a while back when I was going to build a home RAID/Server . Still in plans, but took a back seat - I didn't want my laptop to die on me so this was my solution...so far so good now that TB port working. I went mid-range with i5, 256GB PCIe, and screwed up and only 16GB RAM, but with 1TB overflow disk. Ram's easy enough to fix. Heck, other than my driver issue everything hardware wise on this thing is easy to fix.

Reactions: LilGucci
I just bought a Microsoft Surface Pro. I like it. I'm told it's a computer that acts like a tablet. I got the optional keyboard (touch pad is more sensitive than my HP work laptop). Make sure to get the version with the ports that you need.

Experimented with a surface pro for daughter--my dad has one--he really likes it, but they can push the price up a bit. Ended up with a touchscreen laptop
I just bought a Microsoft Surface Pro. I like it. I'm told it's a computer that acts like a tablet. I got the optional keyboard (touch pad is more sensitive than my HP work laptop). Make sure to get the version with the ports that you need.
There are a lot of fans of the surface pro--the touch screen/pen is a big hit. It does push the price up above the OPs requirements, but Microsoft did this one ok.

I say ok cause sometimes "keyboard" and "pen" are extra. But that kind of tech is super popular and pretty handy.

Reactions: wh20crazy

and now with the 3080's you could melt your mind or make your kids cry with envy . And I am sure you could hold a work spread sheet your edited movies , or run a few movies for date nite and the quiet fire place screen saver and candles to set any mood you want .

Or burn your house down. Ampere is not an efficient architecture, and is certainly not a gaming-focused architecture. Pair that with Samsung's inefficient 8nm node, limited supply, TDP, and high prices, and the 3080 is like a repeat of AMD's Vega disaster.

A hot Nvidia 3080, plus a hot Intel core I9 will make for one sweaty gamer boi.

Open source Linux is even easier to use and personalize, but requires additional research, time, and computing knowledge to convert a machine over to it. It's easy and I absolutely recommend it, but it's not for the basic user. I don't care for it because, well, I have little enough time as it is.

My Macbook Pro Retina is a Late 2013 model, SSD and mid grade hardware processors, and it runs every bit as efficiently as it did when I bought it. I regularly run spreadsheets, photo editing, GUI intensive applications and other functions, no lag and no bullshit (unless I'm running TOR, but that has very intensive computing and network requirements in of itself). It has every latest software update installed and is still running just fine. I travel everywhere with it as I work on the road, including it having spent over a year in Afghanistan and another half a year in Saudi sucking dust. I blow it out every leap year, eat at it regularly, and in general beat the shit out of it. In the meantime, I'm on my second Toshiba for work in two years. So, one $1500 laptop to last me seven years to date, versus how many Windows machines I would have purchased in the meantime. But sure, Macs are overpriced and overrated...

Hey... my 2008 Macbook Pro lasted 7 years too :cool:. The hard drive gave out, so replacing that and reinstalling the OS might give me 3-5 years of use. Those things are bullet proof haha.

I disagree though, Macs are overpriced and overrated NOW, but they were the top dogs from like 2007 to 2014. Their diminishing reputation is mostly owed to Intel. By leaving Intel and moving to ARM(Apple Silicon), very exciting times await us, and despite my vow to never support Apple ever again, I might find myself going back to them for whatever next-gen magic they cook up for the 2023 Macbook Pro. The last five years has seen Windows-based products surpass Apple in quality, support, power/performance, design, price, value, etc. but the next five years Apple looks poised to shake up the industry once again.

I can vouch for Dell products, warranty, and their refurbished stock, although to be perfectly honest, a lot of their refurbished stuff is way too overpriced that you're better off just finding what you like on there, look up youtube or read reviews, and then try to find it on Ebay. And don't just be wowed by the fact that it has an Intel I7 or I5. An I3 today can probably best an I7 from 8 years ago, so look at the product and try to find out the range of years it was offered in. If it was offered in the last 2-3 years, you should be okay, not only in meeting your requirements today, but also being able to future proof your laptop as much as possible for the demands you(or your son) might make of it 3 years down the line. I also prefer to prioritize everything over screen size, because at home and at work, I connect the laptop up to a larger monitor or TV and use that as my screen, while also using a wireless keyboard and mouse. I make a few adjustments in windows settings to keep the laptop on while the screen is closed, and it feels no different than using a desktop.

I try not to buy Nvidia, Apple, or Intel products because they're evil companies. But you kind of can't avoid buying their stuff because they have all the market share and consumer mindshare.

If you're concerned about privacy, just follow this video. You don't have to be as extreme and paranoid as I am and go full Qubes OS, but it gradually takes you through steps of how to make your online activities safer, and you can choose what level works best for you. The first video is more for the hardcore user, while the second video is more friendly for beginners.

I'm actually thinking Macbooks are more reasonably priced than before. Go spec out a Spectre, XPS, Surface laptop or Surface "Book" and the price difference isn't near what one would think it'd be. Windows 10, if you're running that still seems like a wreck to me. I run it for two reasons: 1) I'm very familiar with it, 2) use it at work (hence 1). That said, I do think Apple has lost some of the creativity (not all, but a lot) that Jobs brought.

Just got the new MacBook 💻 Pro 13”, upgraded some things and love it !!I’ll never go back at this point ...

Once you join the Apple Cult, they don't like to let you go, so most likely you will never go back...
They won't let you go!

• Haha
Reactions: tacops1
They have the data science community like a bunch of crack whores and its disgusting.

My sister works in commercial art and advertising.
It's the Apple way or no way in that whole industry.
Whatever Apple and Adobe say is what they pay, no questions, no choices.

20 bucks usually gets a decent effort.
Choose wisely and you'll likely get a girl just paying her way through college.

R

I find it amusing that some tech youtubers have shown you can't find a way to spend the money that apple wants with a custom build. You can toss stuff together on your kitchen table for less money and have way more performance.

And all the apple kids cry "but it's about the experience!"

Yeah, gotta love being locked into their products forever! They find a way to justify it, somehow, someway.

When Adobe finally realized they needed to build for Windows and gain that market share, there has never been another reason to go with Apple.

There are arguably better programs than Adobe, and have been for years, but most are resistant to change.

The keyword there is "commercial." I'm in this industry and yes, Apple's mindshare is very strong amongst my colleagues. But most of the creative professionals I know who are not in a commercial setting have been switching over to Windows devices over the past 3 years. Photographers, game developers, music creators, 2d and 3d animation, film, interior design, UX/UI, fx artists, you name it. Whether they use a Wacom tablet, or like me, a Dell Canvas, you're spoiled for options these days. Microsoft has been absorbing the growing refugees of former Mac users with its Surface lineup of products, so has Dell with their Precision, Canvas, and 8k displays, and just about every other laptop maker has gotten in on the "Creator" craze.

Acer: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-home
Asus: https://www.asus.com/ProArt/Laptops-Home/
MSI: https://www.msi.com/Content-creation
Razer: https://www.razer.com/eu-en/gaming-laptops/razer-blade-studio-edition
Lenovo: https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/p...ve-must-have-devices-for-digital-creator-ces/
HP: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/industries/creative-pros.html

You could never have imagined windows being cool with the artist and content-creator crowd, it's kind of becoming the dominant go-to for independent creative professionals. But Windows just offers better performance and value for the money.