• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 308,155gr Scenars, anybody use them?

kujuak

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
Currently I am loading for an AI/AT and a Steyr SSG 69PII in 308. I have been using 185 Juggernauts and 175gr SMK respectively in these rifles. Anybody use the Lapua 1555 Scenars in either of them? I am shooting out to 800yds so far.

Thanks!

I shoot them in a 1:10, 26" match barrel.... great out to 1000yds. Shooting at around 2800fps depending on ambient temp. I like them in the 1:10 barrel.... never had much success in any of my three 1:12 guns....

Reactions: kujuak
Just out of curiosity I tried my 308 Garand load of 155gr Nosler Custom competition bullet, Vihtavuori N135 powder, powder, Federal large rifle primer in some scrounged Federal brass ( the gendarme sometimes use Federal 308 and just leave the brass on the ground, I hate Federall brass but, it's free and I don't have to stress collecting the fired brass flung about my Garand).Anyway my SSG PII put 5 rounds into a ragged hole at 100yds! The SSG barrel has a 1:12 twist. Who woulda thought?I may just play with the 155gr bullts a bit more. I was struck about how much less the recoil was compared to 168gr loads as a nice little bonus.

I shot thousands of them for F class around 3000 ft./s in a 30 inch barrel great bullet horrible BC.

My experience is that 155 grn scenars shoot great in a 1:12 barrel out to around 800yds but start losing stability before they reach 1000yds. The 1:10 barrel gives it more spin stability to reach the 1k yrd steel. Just my opinion/personal observation... not trying to start an online debate on barrel twist rates. :)

Thanks, no debate intended. I can only shoot out to 600yds on regular basis and use a different rifle and 185 Juggernaut load for the longer ranges. I had found a good price for the lighter bullets and was looking for info about them. Alas, the deal is gone anyhow. I will use the light bullets for my 600yds and less in my Steyr. Thanks for your input, really appreciated hearing your experience. With my skills (lack thereof) bullet performance beyond 600yds ain't much of an issue anyway:D

You can consistently hit out to 1000 yards with them if you are using a 26" 1:12 barrel
Where they really shine is at close ranges where they are still going at high speeds and have great accuracy.

I shot enough of them to burn out my Savage 308 FP 24”barrel 1-10 twist. Freaking loved them and consistently made hits in Wyoming wind out to and beyond 1000 yards. I was running Varget in Lapua brass with federal match LR primers at around 2960 fps. @Zak Smith was the one who recommended them to me years ago.

I’ve shoot all the 150-155 class bullets in 14, 12, 11.25, 10, and 8 twist. Working up a load for my new 8T now. Never had an issue with the developed loads as long as it was super sonic.

There’s a lot more to down range consistency than bullets and twist rates. So don’t put research ahead of experience. Few are those that can shoot the difference, many are those that claim too.

My last 24” 10T pushed the 150 MS (512 G1) at 2900 fps. Run those numbers against your 175 and 185 bullets. Ya might be surprised.
Hope this helps.

Custom rem 700, 11 twist bartlein barrel at 22 inches. I load them over 44.4 grains xbr8208 in lapua brass. They run 2930 fps and are outstanding out to 900. Never tried them further.