• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua 308 subsonic

Re: Lapua 308 subsonic

I too am interested in finding this out. People on here have used trailboss in their loads.

I have read a couple of posts saying it is VV N310 - it is not.

I pulled a couple of bullets of Lapua SS and the powder looks different. The kernels are smaller/finer than N310.

I have also read that it is N320. As soon as I get my hands on some I'll check it out.

For what it's worth, I measured 10.0 grains of powder in the rounds I pulled.

Did you happen to notice if the flash holes were oversize from a standard 308 cartridge? or altered in any other way?

10 gr isn't a lot. Must be a low % of case volume.

I have got some used Lapua SS brass and some of their SS heads. Just need to work out the powder type. I plan on starting a bit higher than the 10gr and working down. I want to start with something we have some knowledge of rather than taking a big leap in the dark.

I have seen loads with Red Dot and Blue Dot so failing any reliable intel I will try and get my hands on some of that. Sometimes it isn't so easy up here in the wilds.

Andy

Good luck, keep us posted. You might also want to try some trailboss powder, have seen allot of people using that as well. I have some of the Lapua SS and some 180 RN that I will be working up or down loads for as soon as I get home.

Howdy

I have loaded and used well over 2,000 rounds using the Lapua Subsonic bullets with either 10 grains of Trail Boss or 8.2 grains of Red Dot. Either one of these produce almost the exact same results and velocities at around 960 fps.

I searched around for a long time trying to determine if enlarging the flash hole or using magnum primers was necessary or not, and came to the conclusion after speaking with numerous people that enlarging the flash hole could help prevent a FTF due to the powder not filling much of the case. I am told this doesn't happen very often, especially as time goes by and components get better, but I decided to start using this practice because I want 100% reliability. I couldn't get very many people to argue for using magnum primers along with enlarged flash holes, but there are some who swear by it as well.

I am anxious to find another bullet out there that will perform at subsonic velocities well even though it is not labeled a "subsonic bullet". There has to be a few out there that don't have the jacked-up price tag as these Lapua subsonic bullets do.

A .308 is just not an optimum subsonic cartridge for the reason you stated - the powder does not fill the case.

If you really want to shoot subsonic, you'll do better with a cartridge like the .300 Whisper.

I'd like to see the two compared using the same length barrels. I have a lot of trouble beleiving that the longer barrel doesn't play a large role in the 308 being less optimal. The consistency of the whisper reportedly degrades quickly when the barrel gets longer than 18".

I use Laupa SS bullets 200 grain with rebated BT. Lapua brass and 13 grains IMR 4227 for the 1066 vel at 70 deg. Matches the Lapua load in my rifle. F215M match primers. I get slightly less velocity spread than the Lapua factory load and it is much more consistant in very cold weather. Flash holes are enlarged to .125 and deburred. In theory, the Whisper would be better for SS only, but in practice, not much difference SS and the .308 will do it's long range job as well. If anyone is interested, PM and I will send a post of my load and sight setting to use the 308 Win shooting SS to 200 yd and the 175 SMK to 800yd using a mil reticule and not dialing. Just hold and shoot to 800 with both loads. It took quite a while to get this worked up.

Maybe just post the load, I'm sure many would be interested in it.

N320 is not the powder used on Lapua SS rounds.....

I bought a pound of N320 and it's not the same.
For what it's worth, 9.0 grains of N320 will spit a 175 SMK @1040 fps

hi
i pulled 10 rounds of sako subsonic a couple of weeks ago
oal case length bullet lap d46 185gn-184.9gn
2.801 2.003
2.791 same for all
2.800 powder was 8.6gn every case
2.798 looks like vit n320

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't get over how little powder there is .... </div></div>

Trailboss is really bulky and the grains are shaped like Cheerios. I use 10.2gr of it under a 170gr .30-30 RN bullet for my .308 subsonic loads and it works well and isn't position sensitive (that I can tell).

-X