• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

lapua actions

Re: lapua actions

As far as I'm aware the vast majority of actions out there set up for the 338LM have longer tennons, a slightly larger diameter, and some have modified tangs. The only custom that I know of that will work is the McMillan G30.

I did the same thing. Had a 700LA stock. Ended up taking a Chromoly 700 RUM action (the standard WM action won't work as the feed rails are incorrect) and put a CEG one piece 338LM bolt in it. This will not be advised by most people, especially with the SS 700LA. There is a thread on another forum by a fairly highly regarded smith that experieced lug setback on a SS action with a 338LM class cartridge and will no longer use a SS action for the 338LM class.

Jerry Stiller, amongst other reputable action builders, has made some very valid points about this and has done extensive testing with the 338LM.

All that being said, my 338 uses a standard 700LA chromoly action with a custom .700 diameter bolt. And it works flawlessly. It has a couple hundred rounds on it now and I have full confidence that it is strong engough for the 338LM. I had a 300 12 Egg Mag (basically a 30-378 max improved with a Gibbs style neck) built on a 700. It burns considerably more Retumbo than the 338LM and has a smaller bore. It does have less case taper, but I'm fairly certain that it produced more pressure and bolt thrust than the 338LM and the 700 handled it just fine.

So, I guess the 700 or a McM G30 is the answer to you question.

338 Lapua Magnum in unmodified AICS stock. Built on 300 RUM donor SPS action.
DSC02919-1.jpg

300 RUM in unmodified AICS stock. Also built on a 300RUM SPS donor action.
DSC02779.jpg

300 12 Egg Magnum built on HS Precision Stock. Again, a standard 700 Long Action. This stock was modified to accept M4 bottom metal and an extended single stack magazine.
100_2552-1.jpg

If you go with the 700 to build a 338LM, you must get the RUM version. The feed rails will work with the 338LM.

The standard magnum (7mmRM, 300WM, etc) as well as the the .473BF LA's have different feed rails that will need to be worked to feed 338LM.

Here is the CEG 1 piece bolt I used in my 338LM:
DSC02655.jpg

DSC02658.jpg

ETA: This bolt will also work with the 378 Weatherby class of cartridges as they share a common bolt face diameter with the 338LM.

Still have the 338. The RUM and 12 Egg are now in the possession of others. I decided I HAD to have other things. Rifle ADD.

But the 12 Egg is a force to recon with. I mean it is INSANE. You REAAALLLLY have to like to reload to enjoy it. And have a deep pocketbook (two things that don't describe me).