• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua Brass

RATSACK

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2011
Australia
Hi looking for advice /help on Lapua brass I have been give a couple of hundred cases in .308 to use, but at the moment it is causing me a bit of grief.

The bolt on my Tikka at time will not close properly on some of the rounds and they have to be discarded, this the first time I have ever had any problems with loading this calibre the OAL is well within the guide lines, should I take the die down some more and "force" the case to go into the die more.

If anyone could give some advice on this I would be most greatful, I do have a case gauge (Dillon) and the rounds do drop in the gauge and seem to sit in there without any problems.

Regards and Thanks to any replies

Re: Lapua Brass

Hi Viper. Here's one thing you should check with your sizing die. I did the same thing with my .338 Lapua die. Bring your press all the way up with the shell holder on it, screw the sizing die all the way down till it touches. Then lower your press down a little and give your sizing die another 1/8 to a 1/4 of a turn down. Lock it into place and then drive the press back up into it. It should feel fairly tight but have a "locking in" feeling to it at the top of the strock of the press. This should ensure that you are lock into full cam position. At least this is how it was explained to me.

What is probably happening is that the shoulders on your cases aren't being bumped down enough which will cause them to jam in the chamber. Give it a try and let us know how things go for you. Take care

Zeb

And if you still have problems you can send the brass to me.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eagleskier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if you still have problems you can send the brass to me.
wink.gif
</div></div>
Do the words "Pry It From My Cold Dead Hands" ring a bell
grin.gif

Was this brass new? Or was it once fired? If its once fired, and maybe even if it was new, you might want to run it through a small base die in .308. I had to do this with all my once fired and my new 260 rem bolt gun. It wouldn't chamber without using a small base body die. Then the new Remington brass had to be sized with the small base die as well before it would chamber. The Tikka may have a tighter chamber.

Bill