• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua....

D1gger

GDI
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 12, 2017
    Staunton, VA
    So admititedly, I can be somewhat of a grammar nazi at times, but not so much when it comes to pronunciation, but I just watched a video, and the way the guy pronounced Lapua sounded weird to me. He pronounced it Lap-Wah. I've only ever heard La-poo-uh.
    It's like when I had my shop back in the day, and everyone said Lee-Uh-Pold. I wouldn't correct anyone, but I would pronounce it Loo-Pold, and that's pretty much how I hear it today
    What's the consensus here?

Hahaha...the shooting world is full of mispronounced names.

I learned how to say it correctly after watching an old Sako ("sock-o", not "say-co") video. Now I just somewhat grin and cringe every time some good old boy talks about his "La-poo-ah" in a video.

Casull
    Leupold
    Sellier & Bellot
    Vihtavouri
    Etc...etc...etc...

Crap, I was watching a good old boy recently show off his 25 Creedmoor on YouTube. He had a "Lee-you-pold" scope, "Tim-in-nee" (how do you F that up?) trigger, and was using "La-poo-ah" components. I'm pretty sure he jacked up the barrel manufacturer's name too.

So admititedly, I can be somewhat of a grammar nazi at times, but not so much when it comes to pronunciation, but I just watched a video, and the way the guy pronounced Lapua sounded weird to me. He pronounced it Lap-Wah. I've only ever heard La-poo-uh.
    It's like when I had my shop back in the day, and everyone said Lee-Uh-Pold. I wouldn't correct anyone, but I would pronounce it Loo-Pold, and that's pretty much how I hear it today
    What's the consensus here?

I asked a fellow rifle shooter who is from Sweden what the correct Finnish pronunciation is. He said Lap-uah. He laughs at Americans trying to pronounce Finnish (or any other scandinavian language) about as much as I laugh at most Americans trying to pronounce Spanish.

Reactions: Bender
    I have to say that this was the first time I've ever heard it pronounced that way. When I had my shop the other one that shooters around me had trouble with was sabot slugs. They all said Sa-Bot.

Any easy pronunciation guides for Finnish? Are some letters or letter combinations always pronounced the same or do they vary like English can?

Something like this but for Finnish.

Oh, you want to learn a finnish :)
    Gun=ase
    Rifle=kivääri
    Pistol=pistooli
    Ammo=patruuna
    Bullet=luoti
    Case=hylsy
    Bullet=Scenar, :ROFLMAO:no it´s a luoti
    Precision=tarkkuus
    Want to learn more :p

Last edited:
    Sako = Sock O vs SA KO all long vowels. (I say SA KO)
    people look at me funny, but I reply,
    I don't say, al lu min eee um I say aluminum
    :)
    @Sako man

Just wait until you bring Vietnamese into the discussion.

How many here have ever actually asked a fluent Vietnamese person how to say "Long Trang"?

(Recognize that, anyone?)

'yong chang' is the english phonetic translation.

Reactions: lash
    Let's have a couple of the latter, then. I could probably do okay with Spanish.

Bokeelia, Dunedin, Micanopy

Although simple, oe of the most mispronounced Spanish names is Navarre. Even Google maps screws it up.

Doesn't count if you google.

Bokeelia, Dunedin, Micanopy

Although simple, oe of the most mispronounced Spanish names is Navarre. Even Google maps screws it up.

Lessee... Boh-keel-ee? Doo-nuh-dine? Meek-an-opa?

As for Navarre, I admit I never learned to pronounce that one over all the years I took Spanish but I'd expect it to be Nah-varr-eh. I can't roll my Rs worth a damn.

Reactions: viking78
    Lessee... Boh-keel-ee? Doo-nuh-dine? Meek-an-opa?

As for Navarre, I admit I never learned to pronounce that one over all the years I took Spanish but I'd expect it to be Nah-varr-eh. I can't roll my Rs worth a damn.

That's how most visitors pronounce. It's actually nuh·vaar.

My friend pronounces it Loopea. Not sure why. Oh well.

Just wait until you bring Vietnamese into the discussion.

How many here have ever actually asked a fluent Vietnamese person how to say "Long Trang"?

(Recognize that, anyone?)

'yong chang' is the english phonetic translation.

Me love you long time?

Don't need google. I grew up in it.

It's actually an english corruption of Navarra.

Oh yea I can roll the double r like a champ

More shit gringos can't pronounce even at gunpoint: aguila

In floridian, maybe

No en castellano.

Oh ya, LL, another spanish letter gringos cannot pronounce right if their life depended on it.
    My teacher was Castilian. My ll isn't so bad and I learned the continental lisp, too. The downside is that you're less likely to encounter Spanish Spanish in the US than any other version these days. If I went to Mexico or South America, I'd sound funny.

Had a fuckhead behind a gun counter try to correct my pronunciation of a Leupold scope I was going to buy. I changed it to fuck off and bought it somewhere else

• Love
    Reactions: Threadcutter308
    Now try a trip to the 'hood', then try to decide what planet you're on.