• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lapua's consistency downhill?

marf

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2014
I've just finished analysing 200 rounds of virgin brass I purchased at Hirsch Precision here in Nova Scotia, Canada and compared them with my last results of Lapua brass I purchased several years ago.

Back in 2002 I purchased 100 rounds of Lapua virgin 30.06 cases. These cases were very uniform, having only a .7 grain variation in weights and only a .001" variation in overall case length. I didn't have to cull anything.

Lowest weight case was 189.7
Heaviest case was 190.9
Avrg weight 190.4.

Shortest case was 2.485
Longest was 2.486
Avrg was 2.485
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's brass appears to be much different. While I understand it appears the brass can be safely loaded and fired, it doesn't appear to have the same low tolerances and high quality consistency of past batches. Lot # P00661602 There is now 2.4 grain variance in case weights and a .009" variation in overall length. Head space all measured between .000 and .003. I uniformed all primer pockets and also found those to be inconsistent.

Lowest weight case is 191.7
Heaviest case is 194.1

Shortest case is 2.480
Longest case is 2.489

The chamber in the Rem. 700 I'm loading for is 2.522" long. I'm a little concerned (but not overly focused on the idea) that so much of my new brass is significantly below SAAMI. Once again, I understand I can safely load and fire these but if I may be frank, they are just not the same quality I was expecting as compared to my last batch. I chose the Lapua brand based on my experience with it's previous performance and consistency. I paid for...and was expecting more.

Was hoping some of you might offer me some advice....would you accept this batch?...would you trim it all back to 2.480 and carry on? What are your thoughts?

There's are many that think that Lapua is perfect out of the box. I haven't found that to be the case and have had to neck-size and trim 100% of my Lapua brass but I'm also extremely anal so...

In your case, I'd just trim them and maybe cull the extreme high and low weights if it's only a few on either side.

I recently purchased 400 cases of 6.5x47. My findings was very similiar to your intial batch. I couldnt be more pleased with my purchase.

I'm 1/2 minded to bring them back and ask for a different batch. Am I outa place here or is Lapua brass like this now?

U got lucky with your first batch. I have always seen a 2 grain spread with Lapua. I was always very happy with that because Federal had a 6 grain spread and Winchester has a 4 grain spread.

Remington factory chambers are .040" longer than trim length. In most instances trimming is never required as you'll lose the case before it gets too long.

I wouldn't worty about it, especially when you have a factory rifle.

I haven't the problems with inconsistency but I have found that my new 260 brass began to burn a small pin hole in the necks at 3 firings? It's only a few of them but still annoying with the prices and the difficulty in finding components these days. It doesn't look like a split but I'm still fairly new and learning a lot so I may be wrong. My load does not show signs of pressure so I'm guessing its in the brass but feel free correct me if someone feels differently.

I've noticed a strange discoloration on my once fired lapua brass, sort of "splotchy" looking and nothing like my older cases that have been fired at least 4 times and clean up as bright as ever.

Uh, don't think it is just Lapua. I am trying to sort Hornady 6 Creedmoor brass now. Three hundred fifty pieces and it is all over the place in weight. bottom is 147 grains and top is over 150 but the disparity in between is crazy. I found 58/350 that fell within .2 grouping. Another 43 that fell into a .3 grouping.
Funny thing is that the first 25 I had pulled for load development were not sorted or prepped and shot great.

Weight is related to capacity, but not all hat reliable. You may find that your heaviest case has more capacity than your lightest, within reason. I sort mine into 1 grain batches: 172, 173, etc. I found my 172.9gr case has .1gr more water capacity than my 172.0gr case.

The batch of 6.5x47L brass I just opened is much worse. The shortest was 1.8365 and longest was 1.8475. There wasn't really any consistency at all. I don't know what to do with them really.

That is not surprising to me at all, ever weigh any of there bullets? The only thing I use hornady bullets for is fire forming. Had primer issues with two different calibers of there brass.

Weird thing about it is the damn thing will outshoot just about every other rifle I own.
I took it back out yesterday just to recheck things. Cold bore shot was a dead center hit at 300. Made first round hits all the way from 300 to 520 yards and stacked rounds inside 1 inch at 300 yards. I meant to take the chrono and check out ES and SD but forgot to pack it. It will get the chrono test before weekend is out though.

The batch of 6.5x47L brass I just opened is much worse. The shortest was 1.8365 and longest was 1.8475. There wasn't really any consistency at all. I don't know what to do with them really.

You should definately box them back up and send them directly to me. I will pay shipping.

Haha. Well I better not do that. I'm new to reloading and the first batch that I had been working were all nearly identical in length. This recent batch had quit a bit of variation. I guess that's not unusual.

Why the concern about overall length? That's precisely why everybody owns a trimmer.

I would trim to length before weighing and sorting. I assumed most everyone knows they have to process and sort new brass, regardless of manufacturer?

On the other hand, you expect better quality when you pay a premium. The last Nosler cases I bought on sale were perfection, I kid you not. BB

You're going to see variation in any manufacturer's weights, etc. Some lots are better than others, but you're still going to see a variation regardless of whose supplies you due to tolerances in the manufacturing process. Unless you're shooting benchrest I wouldn't sweat the small details as you're not going to see nearly as much return in your accuracy so long as you've developed a good stable load. Time and stress better spent worrying about your actual shooting.

I forwarded my findings and offered up copies of my logs to my Canadian Lapua dealer who in turn sent an e-mail to Finland. Lapua Finland has replied and told the dealer the brass was within specs.

I'm disappointed they didn't give any attention to the fact that I advised the cases also had quite a primer pocket variance. 2 1/2 grain weight variance, .009" in length with 40% of the cases being .015 under Saami. Using a Sinclair uniformer I could easily get a full cut on some pockets and none with a different case.

Lapua is legendary status. They claim everywhere to sell the worlds best most consistent uniform brass in the industry. Unless I am using my digital calibrated scales and calipers wrong, my measurements tell me they currently are not.

I don't know if it's true, but I have heard several times in the last few days that Lapua has currently relaxed some of it's tolerances in an effort to keep up with recent shortages and demand.

I'm truly hurt! I feel like I've lost a family pet (load).

It is about time some one makes and upscale boutique quality brass in the US. I wonder how much the machinery to make brass costs.

Have you shot this POS Lapua brass to see what kind of difference it makes?

To be honest, after uniforming the pockets and finding them so varied I stopped processing. Call me picky, whatever.....this lot didn't meet my standards and I'm looking to have it replaced with a different lot number, or a refund.