• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Large rifle and Magnum Primers

bigsky23

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Billings Mt.
I scored some large rifle match and magnum primers today. I took all they had so I could share my find with no markup here on the hide as I know they are very hard to find right now. My question is do I need more than 51 total postsr is it that quota # of 100 on my prfile before I can offer these up to you guys?

Re: Large rifle and Magnum Primers

You know that they are a bear to ship. Not just Hazmat fees, but you have to be an approved shipper of explosives.

Sell them to your local hide members, but I wouldn't even try shipping them.

An approved shipper of explosives? Wow. I guess it will be local then or I'll have a crapload of primers. I'm still wondering about the number of posts though if anyone could enlighten me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know that they are a bear to ship. Not just Hazmat fees, but you have to be an approved shipper of explosives.

Sell them to your local hide members, but I wouldn't even try shipping them. </div></div>

Really,...an approved shipper of explosives, never heard that before, what will they come up with next. Wonder what the approval process is and by who.

50+ posts of something better than a one word comment about someone elses post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An approved shipper of explosives? Wow. I guess it will be local then or I'll have a crapload of primers. I'm still wondering about the number of posts though if anyone could enlighten me.
</div></div>

You have 50, you're fine.

As far as shipping, you do whatever you feel is right, but do your own research first. The fines can be around $200k from what I'm told.

Here's a copy of some info from pafpa.org but just google "shipping primers" and you'll have a week full of reading material.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Internet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primers do not fall under the same regs as ammo. They are considered hazardous and have to be shipped as such. That's why you pay extra when you buy from Natchez, midwayUSA, etc.

Primers are not eligible for the limited quantity exception in 49CFR. They are classed as a Division 1.4S explosive material and cannot be reclassed as ORM-D. They must ship as an explosive with all the required markings and must have hazardous material shipping papers. They do not need explosive labels on the package.

Division 1.4 consists of explosives that present a minor explosion hazard. The explosive effects are largely confined to the package and no projection of fragments of appreciable size or range is to be expected. An external fire must not cause virtually instantaneous explosion of almost the entire contents of the package.

Then Division 1 is subdivided:

Description of substances or article to be classified:
S:

Substance or article so packed or designed that any hazardous effects arising from accidental functioning are limited to the extent that they do not significantly hinder or prohibit fire fighting or other emergency response efforts in the immediate vicinity of the package.

To ship via FedEx or UPS you would need to call their hazardous materials shipping department to get exactly how you would pack them and mark the container.

Shipping primers is not easy at all if you don't have all the information and in some cases the training required to do the packaging. C FR49 Part 173.60 gives the General packaging requirements and Part 173.62 gives the Specific packaging requirements. Companies that ship primers, be it the manufacturers or the wholesalers/retailers have the training required along with all the permits, etc. needed. It is much more involved than what I described above. My main point was to be that unless you have the requirement to be constantly shipping this type of material, it just isn't worth the time and effort.
</div></div>

Great, I'll offer some up to anyone close enough to come pick them up in the Optics & Accessories For Sale section. Thanks for the info guys.