• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Large window on setting diopter

JohnDeereGuy1996

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
So this is something that’s always bothered me because I’ve felt like I’m always setting it wrong. When I set the diopter on any ffp scope I seem to have a very wide range where the reticle is sharp but almost always end up with it screwed all the way in. Is it very common to have an extremely wide range where the reticle is sharp and clear? I usually can’t tell much of a difference from half way out to all the way in I guess you would say.

There's a sticky post on this very subforum explaining how to focus the reticle in FFP scopes. Are you doing it that way?

If the reticle never gets hard to see when you’re fatigued, and you don’t have to consciously switch focus from reticle to Target.......and parallax is working properly.....I wouldn’t give it another thought.

I have exactly the same issue - my reticle is sharp and easy to see throughout a *huge* range. I never worried about it and don't seem to be having parallax issues. Only target displacement issues due to barrel mirage....

VooDoo

NXS 2.5-10x42 to me appears to have a very large range of acceptable diopter setting for my eyes. Did all the tricks. Clouds, sky, blank walls at 5, 10, 15 feet. Parallax at closest, parallax at furthest. Quick blinks to check reticle focus. Easily 30%-50% of the available diopter settings are totally acceptable to me and result in a near instantaneous sharp reticle.

On the other hand I do appear to be having parallax issues. At 100m and max magnification I can't get the target to be both in focus and with no head nod test parallax elimination.

Could be setup error, going to call NF tomorrow.