• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Largest animal killed with a 22lr

Got up with a guy advertising for a time travel experiment back in 2010. He wanted to send me into the future but being the tin foil hat type I felt that to be a bit risky. He sent me back to the late Jurassic period. He was a bit alarmed at my request to carry a gun back in time. He was concerned about damage to his equipment but I assured him I would be safe. He gave me a pile of shit about creating a time paradox and we had a heated argument when I told him my scope was adjustable parallax so no worries. He said I was too stupid to send back but had no other subjects for his experiment.
He would let me take only one rifle and I was quite limited on weight, something about mass becoming infinite at the speed of light or something like that. I told him if he wanted to insinuate I was fat just say so. After the fight, I loaded up in his machine with my 10/22 and a 350 bulk pack of Federal Auto Match.

I popped out of the vortex to an amazingly lush environment. On short order I located a couple smallish lizards, about the size of houscats. They were surprisingly tough. I slipped up on a small herd of stegosaurs and decided to try to find that walnut brain through a smallish one's ear. He went down like a sack of taters at the crack of the rifle. On the way back to the vortex portal thingy I surprised a T-Top. Try as I might I couldn't get a shot I liked on that formidable noggin'. I went for broke with a neck shot and pissed him off something awful. He was hot on my trail when I jumped back through the hole that brought me back to the present.
I talked the professor into starting up The Jurassic Guide Service. He refined his equipment and the payload has been increased but we still limit you to one gun under 7lbs and 3lbs of ammo. My most recent client was quite excited when I told him our success rate on T-Rex hunts was 50%. There was some misunderstanding however and he dropped out of the hunt at the last minute before boarding the machine. "So there is really a 50% chance I will kill a T-Rex? I can't wait!" "Ahh, no sir I think you misunderstood. There is a 50% chance you will survive if you see one."

Last edited:
My fishing guide in Hawaii shot both my 397 lb. and my daughter's 188 lb. blue marlins with a .22LR shot to the brain before boating them. He had a boat captain friend impaled through the chest trying to boat one, so now he doesn't take any chances.

Reactions: D_TROS
How about thousands of 2000 pound cattle with 22 shorts? But really be carefully we don’t want you drying up our oil and coal supplies so don’t take too many. And be careful of the DA I heard it may be really thick with the high pressure and substantially higher O2 levels. Your 22 might not make it much past 50 yards rather than the 1.5 miles your use to back home.

Last edited:
Funny alot of people say shoot a whitetail between the eyes and they will drop. Much more to it than that head position is critical as is patience. If they are looking up it is below the eye line if they are tilted a little it is between the eye and the ear and requires quite abit of anatomy study to be done repeatedly and correctly. That said I know more than a few guys back home that used to " shoot them in the head" and they seemed to make out ok though there is no telling how many wounded deer ran around because of them. Also, it is only legal in a few states AFAIK. I have seen hogs on the farm take three or four rounds straight in the forehead at butchering time and still have plenty of fight in them.

This sure comes up a lot. Anyways, shot placement is all there is to it. Can the bullet penetrate to destroy something without which the animal will die? No magic involved.

Obviously, a chest shot on a deer will kill it, but it will probably take a relatively long time. Provided the bullet hits the brain/spine, the deer will be incapacitated. Odds of that happening under all circumstances? Know your limits. If I had a clean shot at a deer's head/neck inside 200 yards, I'd probably hit the right spot and kill it. In my relatively limited experience (~400 documented kills w/ .22 LR), .22 LR has very seldom failed to punch all the way through some hefty PA groundhogs regardless of range from 0-325 yards, except when shot lengthwise.

More shooting, less theorizing, hooah?

I have a friend who hunts whitetail with .22 subsonics. At close range they penetrate both lungs and the deer don't run much farther than 50-75 yards. I've taken them with subsonic .308s with the same experience.

Somewhere in my Safari books, Capstick or someone talks about a hunter who took out a bull elephant with a .22LR by shooting him in the heart. Writer didn't recommend it, just said it could be done.

I prefer a light, Browning Safari rifle in .458 Win Mag for T-rex. The sectional density of the banded solids make one-round drops much more likely and the load is effective on the occasional Velociraptor that will show up for a fresh kill.

Time travel is discrete, not linear, your actions only affecting THAT universe you've created with the loop. V'nath of Deneb IV proved that in his 2317 temporal displacement experiments. That's why we don't ever see time travelers, or their effects, in our timeline. Kill all the butterflies you want. Good hunting.

Yes, why would anyone try to kill an animal outside of a small rodent or in a complete survival situation? It is unethical and ridiculous.

C'mon Mike, obviously...still it makes for interesting discussion. When does survival/filling the freezer get trumped by ethics when venison is 90% of your yearly diet...a separate debate of its own. I watched my uncle rip a nice 6 pointer when I was a kid. Took all ten rounds from his 10-22. In the head, kerplunk, stumble, shake head get back up, repeat 8 more times, stayed down on the last shot... I would never do anything like that but it was awesome to watch while being told never do this. My cousin had my uncle's deer rifle and it was the only gun in the house. Had to happen...

There are a few guys that use the .22 LR as their primary means of dispatching coyotes they call in. I've seen a few large, "feral" dogs get dumped by single shots to the chest with a .22 at <50 yards as well. Pretty impressive.

C'mon Mike, obviously...still it makes for interesting discussion. When does survival/filling the freezer get trumped by ethics when venison is 90% of your yearly diet...a separate debate of its own. I watched my uncle rip a nice 6 pointer when I was a kid. Took all ten rounds from his 10-22. In the head, kerplunk, stumble, shake head get back up, repeat 8 more times, stayed down on the last shot... I would never do anything like that but it was awesome to watch while being told never do this. My cousin had my uncle's deer rifle and it was the only gun in the house. Had to happen...

First, did you read my post where I specifically mention "survival"? So obviously it's a different story when you're trying to eat/survive. I still think it's irresponsible. What would have happened if your uncle shot it in the head, it ran off with no blood trail, and you never found it? A real possibility. Now you don't have meat on the table and you've killed a deer for nothing.

First, did you read my post where I specifically mention "survival"? So obviously it's a different story when you're trying to eat/survive. I still think it's irresponsible. What would have happened if your uncle shot it in the head, it ran off with no blood trail, and you never found it? A real possibility. Now you don't have meat on the table and you've killed a deer for nothing.

I did read your post; I wasn't sure you would consider that for "survival." I think today's hunters (at least most of them) do make an effort to be ethical representatives for this lifestyle (I don't think the term sport is accurate for most hunters). "What would have happened if...?" I imagine my uncle would have been pissed. Personally, something like that would make me sad. I lost my first deer this year (A nice buck) with my bow and didn't sleep well for over a week. I spent 3 days straight looking and not hunting since I was sure I had made a good hit. I'm hoping I "no man's land" hit him and see him next year with a healed hole in his upper back.

I think your point of ethics is well made. That said, I also think that contributing something like your post to a thread labeled, "Largest animal killed with a 22lr" is like walking into a southern bar on a Saturday night @ 1a and calling everyone a bunch of confederate rednecks. It feels either self-righteous and/or like it is looking for a fight. That said, I am not. I would be all for a thread that proposes ethically difficult hunting scenarios and discussion of correct decisions in the face of those dilemmas. Thanks as always for all contributions, cheers,

Adam

Got up with a guy advertising for a time travel experiment back in 2010. He wanted to send me into the future but being the tin foil hat type I felt that to be a bit risky. He sent me back to the late Jurassic period. He was a bit alarmed at my request to carry a gun back in time. He was concerned about damage to his equipment but I assured him I would be safe. He gave me a pile of shit about creating a time paradox and we had a heated argument when I told him my scope was adjustable parallax so no worries. He said I was too stupid to send back but had no other subjects for his experiment.
He would let me take only one rifle and I was quite limited on weight, something about mass becoming infinite at the speed of light or something like that. I told him if he wanted to insinuate I was fat just say so. After the fight, I loaded up in his machine with my 10/22 and a 350 bulk pack of Federal Auto Match.

I popped out of the vortex to an amazingly lush environment. On short order I located a couple smallish lizards, about the size of houscats. They were surprisingly tough. I slipped up on a small herd of stegosaurs and decided to try to find that walnut brain through a smallish one's ear. He went down like a sack of taters at the crack of the rifle. On the way back to the vortex portal thingy I surprised a T-Top. Try as I might I couldn't get a shot I liked on that formidable noggin'. I went for broke with a neck shot and pissed him off something awful. He was hot on my trail when I jumped back through the hole that brought me back to the present.
I talked the professor into starting up The Jurassic Guide Service. He refined his equipment and the payload has been increased but we still limit you to one gun under 7lbs and 3lbs of ammo. My most recent client was quite excited when I told him our success rate on T-Rex hunts was 50%. There was some misunderstanding however and he dropped out of the hunt at the last minute before boarding the machine. "So there is really a 50% chance I will kill a T-Rex? I can't wait!" "Ahh, no sir I think you misunderstood. There is a 50% chance you will survive if you see one."

hahahaha, you're awesome.

Yes, why would anyone try to kill an animal outside of a small rodent or in a complete survival situation? It is unethical and ridiculous.

C'mon Mike, grab a snickers; you sound like Alec Baldwin when your hungry. I'm not saying your post is outta line but, lets face it, we all have at least heard or seen one good story.

A lot has to do with the angle of the shot and placement. I've had to put down a few horses with a 22lr pistol and they are dead before they hit the ground. Have also seen a pit bull come into the clinic shot by a police officer with a 45acp and the bullet rode right over the top of the skull and lodged in the neck. Dog was loopy for a while but survived.

I watched an old friend of mine (passed away now) shoot a flying duck in the head he had scared off his pond with a single shot .22lr rifle he had since he was a kid. I don't know what the gun was, but he was an incredible shot with it.

I have often discussed this , I have said many times when the going gets tough . I’m taking a .22 pistol and .22 rifle . You can easily carry lots of ammo , it can be used to collect food or dispatch enemy . 1 very well placed shot is way more effective than spraying 30 rounds in the area . I dare say , a couple of my .22 rifles will punch near the same hole at 50 yards . I don’t know to many that when you buss one near the eye brow will ask for another try at it .

Don't know bout a 22 but we had a crack head in our AO tryna shoot a Spyder . Told them cops it was talkin to him . Guess it hurts his feelins .

• Haha
Reactions: XLR308
When i was a teenager me and my best friend went to kill a turkey on the familys property.
The roost was a known spot and once they came down in the morning to forage there was a good path to sneek up and ambush them with good cover.
We crawled up to the opening between two persimman trees and found a nice 10 point bedded, one shot of cci stinger through the rib cage. The buck just stood up looked around for about 10-15 seconds and fell over dead.
Also helped my uncle trap many wild hogs that would be placed in a pen to fatten up on cotton seed cake and scraps and were dispatched with a ruger single six.
If they werent facing straight on the bullets would deflect off of the thick skull and require another shot.
Had to help drag off a cow once that one of my friends from high school being the dumbass he was shot with a 22lr becuase she wouldnt return with the rest of the herd.
He didnt think it would kill it.