• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue Costa

Paton

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
if you had a LaRue Costa would it be a shooter or safe queen
I have acquired what appears to be an unfired LaRue Costa recently and badly want to shoot it buy my buddy says its too collectable for an edc while at the ranch I would mainly use it for plinking or varmint when the opportunity presents its self . what are ya'lls thoughts i'm not a collector and use all my firearms but i would hate to devalue a collector tough decision

I have acquired what appears to be an unfired LaRue Costa recently and badly want to shoot it buy my buddy says its too collectable for an edc while at the ranch I would mainly use it for plinking or varmint when the opportunity presents its self . what are ya'lls thoughts i'm not a collector and use all my firearms but i would hate to devalue a collector tough decision
It's not a collector piece...lol

It's a fucking a PredatOBR with a OBR Barrel and some paint and a different engraving..lol

It's not a collector piece...lol

It's a fucking a PredatOBR with a OBR Barrel and some paint and a different engraving..lol
This,

I think a lot of the appeal of LT came out of Marks outrage marketing campaign in various communities. Obviously this decreased as he tended to get himself banned for his over the top responses to quite mild criticism.

From all accounts, he seems to make solid rifles.

I think Q and Kevin B is sort of the in the same boat.

Do you want to sell the LaRue Costa for “premium” price and replace with different brand / model?
Personally I’d use the LaRue Costa.

I have one of his limited edition .308's it was nice in 2012!! But it's a dated system. The first thing I did when I got it was pull the LaRue Barrel and have a Custom Bartlein spun up for it, tossed in some Ambi Controls, TriggerTech Trigger, APA MB and now she's up to date with a far superior barrel.

IMG_20210219_161912002.jpg
IMG_20210219_161849532.jpg
IMG_20210219_152422417.jpg
IMG_20200911_162957734.jpg

I'd shoot it. I think the group size that would purchase it as a "collector" item isn't as large as you'd think. Let it rattle around in a SxS, probably not, but definitely shoot it without a second thought.

I have one of his limited edition .308's it was nice in 2012!! But it's a dated system. The first thing I did when I got it was pull the LaRue Barrel and have a Custom Bartlein spun up for it, tossed in some Ambi Controls, TriggerTech Trigger, APA MB and now she's up to date with a far superior barrel.

View attachment 8079354View attachment 8079357View attachment 8079356View attachment 8079355
That's sweet! I should do that with my tOBR. I hope you can indulge a few questions.

How did you adapt the Bartlein to the Larue barrel interface? What are the specifics of the gas tube and block that you used? How do you like the Gen3 APA brake?

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800
Larue did their best to be above knights armament company but they just couldn’t capture the cool factor. The market has proved that knights has outpaced Larue as collectibles and a more desirable weapon system; just look at sr-25s, kac bipods, and suppressors.

Not really sure why folks try to compare KAC and LT

Larue produces high quality products that are within the $$$ reach, means and avail of most shooters.

They're tools to be used......

KAC is pretty much moot imho....its unobtanium/not avail and its extremely expensive.

I realize this may be tantamount to blasphemy to some of the KAC alcolytes but....

Larue produces high quality products that are within the $$$ reach, means and avail of most shooters.

KAC is pretty much moot imho....its unobtanium/not avail and its extremely expensive.

I realize this may be tantamount to blasphemy to some of the KAC alcolytes but....
I don't treat my KAC ECC any differently than I do my Larue's

what would Jay Leno do?
park it or drive it?

th

Shoot it or sell it.

I personally don't foresee Larue "collector" models gaining much value into the future. The so-called collectibility of LaRue rifles is not tied to any significance or historical events, it's only relevant to a small community of shooters that happen to have an interest in those models. Once that interest wanes from those small population of shooters, so will the value of that rifle.

I'm not a collector, so perhaps I'm off on my assessment. But I just don't see how the value of such a product will continue to rise in the future.

If I had a Larue Costa it would mean it was given to me because I'd never pay money for something with douche costas name on it, I would sell that thing and buy something that isn't douchebag affiliated.

To clarify, Mark Larue is a douche too so it's not surprising they're in bed together on these rifles. Mark is an acceptable level of douche though and makes good stuff.

Mark Larue would compare his guns directly to kac. He’d cherry pick his groups and show how it was better then submitted sr-25s to the gov.

KAC would just stay professional and the market decided to make kac unobtanium.

Larue also tried saying his bolt gun won a match in Wyoming. The guy placed mid pack, but he was a senior so he won in senior division…. I don’t think they even gave the guy a trophy, just pointed out he was a senior. But mark larue likes to tell stories.

I realize this may be tantamount to blasphemy to some of the Larue alcolytes but….

I have no idea what the owners of either company would or wouldnt say and frankly I dont care.

What I do know is that larue stuff is generally avail, high quality and reasonably priced

I have two of their stealth barrels that still shoot sub moa after almost 10k rounds, much of which was class type work where they were run hot/hard without issue.

I couldnt gather enough data to even form an opinion on KAC equipment if I wanted to because it hasnt been avail for years.

You can always just use it to work on your stance. Official instruction video:

i was working on this stance this morning it makes my leg cramp i guess i should have stretched before :ROFLMAO:
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Mark Larue would compare his guns directly to kac. He’d cherry pick his groups and show how it was better then submitted sr-25s to the gov.

Larue also tried saying his bolt gun won a match in Wyoming. The guy placed mid pack, but he was a senior so he won in senior division…. I don’t think they even gave the guy a trophy, just pointed out he was a senior. But mark larue likes to tell stories.

I realize this may be tantamount to blasphemy to some of the Larue alcolytes but….

Holy fuck, I hadn't seen that thread. Mark is a bigger douche than I even though. Costa still wins though.

That's sweet! I should do that with my tOBR. I hope you can indulge a few questions.

How did you adapt the Bartlein to the Larue barrel interface? What are the specifics of the gas tube and block that you used? How do you like the Gen3 APA brake?
There's no secret to LaRue rifles, their small frame rifles utilizes a standard Barrel extension not M4 so just keep that in mind.

I use Triune Precision for my large frame LaRue rifles, just make sure to send in your LaRue bolt for headspacing. Compass Lake Eng and Craddock are great options for custom barrels and if your prefer a off the shelf option Proof research works great but you have to swap out the LaRue BCG for a JP. The JP isn't compatible with the LaRue Carrier. I just order a New LaRue Bolt in his Bolt package mostly because they have the new HP Small diameter firing pin for the 6.5's and just send it in for headspacing.

Reactions: Nik H
In your earlier post you didn’t understand why people compared kac to larue. But larue has tried to bash kac since the beginning of time without success.

The OP was wondering if his gun would become a collectible and I just followed larue’s character and made the comparison that the market decided kac>larue.

I didn’t mean to offend you. Larues pew real good, I just don’t see the becoming collectibles like kac.

NP

I just havent seen company a bashing company b and have nothing but good experiences with their products and customer service.

At the end of the day IMHO, AR pattern pew pews are just tools and I dont see how they could be considered to be collectible

There's no secret to LaRue rifles, their small frame rifles utilizes a standard Barrel extension not M4 so just keep that in mind.

I use Triune Precision for my large frame LaRue rifles, just make sure to send in your LaRue bolt for headspacing. Compass Lake Eng and Craddock are great options for custom barrels and if your prefer a off the shelf option Proof research works great but you have to swap out the LaRue BCG for a JP. The JP isn't compatible with the LaRue Carrier. I just order a New LaRue Bolt in his Bolt package mostly because they have the new HP Small diameter firing pin for the 6.5's and just send it in for headspacing.
Awesome...thank you

I agree. I sold off my KAC stuff and have Larue rifles now that have all been great. KAC stuff is nice and all.......but the market is crazy for it. A lot of buyers never ever shoot the stuff.....just collect. To each his own

I agree. I sold off my KAC stuff and have Larue rifles now that have all been great. KAC stuff is nice and all.......but the market is crazy for it. A lot of buyers never ever shoot the stuff.....just collect. To each his own
I always find that funny..

"KAC rifles are superior mine shoots 1/2 MOA all day long"

Next week...

SR25 for sale 20 round down the tube"...$7000 Firm"...lol

Next week...

I know! lol. The KAC shoots great, is smooth with the gas system and all, but as far as it just being an AR15 rifle....... a Daniel Defense is 98.7% as capable as an SR-15......at a *fraction* of the price.

Reactions: 264pr
Take it to the range.......run a few mags through it.....then sell it to me 😆

That might vary by model, the small frame UU/Stealth 2.0 are M4 though.

Next week...

That's true, but I will say that a KAC SR-15 E3 Mod 1 is still to this date one of the most accurate semi auto's I've owned. That thing would shoot well sub 1/2MOA, it was ragged little holes and it would do it with $5/box federal AE tipped varmint too. A buddy of mine still has it. I had like three of those things and the others weren't quite that accurate but they did shoot exceptionally especially for being a chrome lined barrel, all sub MOA.

They shot better than my LPR... Before the barrel went to absolute shit within 500 rounds and KAC replaced.

KAC makes nice stuff and I've owned at least a dozen of their rifles but I don't think they're worth the current retail price. They certainly aren't worth the price that idiots are paying for them currently.

Reactions: jh2785

I always found larue to be way overhyped and don't like Mark based on his online personna.

Reactions: Jsp556 and 346ci
Former Costa owner here, and I bought the matching large frame. Collectors items, no. Good rifles and good shooters, yes. I changed them up some, swapped furniture, even put a .260 barrel in the large frame. I shot them some, maybe a couple hundred rounds each. I have YHM cans, so I had the SF brake cut off. I ended up selling both to the same guy, and all things considered, I probably broke even. With the right buyer, you might make a little $$ on it, but don't plan on it being an investment.

CMdV3xK.jpg

PjoXPjZ.jpg

wKMqr5I.jpg

That's true, but I will say that a KAC SR-15 E3 Mod 1 is still to this date one of the most accurate semi auto's I've owned. That thing would shoot well sub 1/2MOA, it was ragged little holes and it would do it with $5/box federal AE tipped varmint too. A buddy of mine still has it. I had like three of those things and the others weren't quite that accurate but they did shoot exceptionally especially for being a chrome lined barrel, all sub MOA.

They shot better than my LPR... Before the barrel went to absolute shit within 500 rounds and KAC replaced.

KAC makes nice stuff and I've owned at least a dozen of their rifles but I don't think they're worth the current retail price. They certainly aren't worth the price that idiots are paying for them currently.

The current prices for KAC's are stupid, there's definitely a KAC bubble being driven by the KAC fanboi's.

I have a KAC SR15 E3 Mod 1, and I absolutely love it. Bought it back when they were ~$1800 new. Certainly more expensive than other ar15's at the time, but once you accounted for everything you were getting (Mod 1 rail, ambi lower, 2 stage trigger, KAC micro BUIS, E3 bolt, SOPMOD stock), it actually was a pretty reasonable value. That was ~10 years ago though.

The new prices for KAC rifles are way up there. At one point you could make an argument that there was a good value proposition in KAC's (like ~10 years ago), but can't make that same argument today. Other manufacturers are likely very close or equal to KAC in quality and components at a much more reasonable prices. There's definitely a premium being placed on the KAC brand these days.

When you factor in inflation and demand, the price for KAC guns has not really gone up much in the last 10-15 years. The prices people seem to quote are resale prices, not MSRP. They were probably under priced back in the day considering everything you got for your money and that doesnt even get into the reliability advantage they had against almost everything else. Today its hard to find a bad rifle and the gap has closes because lets face it, everyone just copied off them.

I sold alot of my KAC stuff in the last few years becuase I got stupid money for them. Rather someone else shoot them and turn them into gucci PRS or ELR guns I will shoot than the 16th and 17th AR in the safe.

Will never sell my Mod 0 SR15. That is the rifle I want to be burried with.

When you factor in inflation and demand, the price for KAC guns has not really gone up much in the last 10-15 years. The prices people seem to quote are resale prices, not MSRP. They were probably under priced back in the day considering everything you got for your money and that doesnt even get into the reliability advantage they had against almost everything else. Today its hard to find a bad rifle and the gap has closes because lets face it, everyone just copied off them.

I sold alot of my KAC stuff in the last few years becuase I got stupid money for them. Rather someone else shoot them and turn them into gucci PRS or ELR guns I will shoot than the 16th and 17th AR in the safe.

Will never sell my Mod 0 SR15. That is the rifle I want to be burried with.

I agree, the value has been diminished in KAC products as competitors catch up in quality and features. ~10 years KAC was inarguably the best ar15 available, but the gap has certainly closed.

You're probably right that when you account for inflation, they haven't risen that much. An inflation calculator show's that $1800 in 2012 is worth about $2400 today, with a cursory search it seems that Mod 2 KAC's are going for about ~$3k.

The used market for KAC's is just stupid. Great time to cash in for those that want. I only have the one, my Mod 1 SR15, and that is staying with me, just like your Mod 0. I sold a triple tap compensator for $1k last year.

Some of it just dumb. Like the TT, the Bipods, the Sand Cutter Bolts,ect

I bought a SR-25 lower from a buddy when it came in the shop for $1250, Sold it here a week later for $2500. Bought a SR-25 lower from Knights in FL direct for same price and it sold for $3500. Bought a sandcutter bolt for $215 and sold it for $800.

People are fucking dumb. The vast majority of the people buying this shit dont actually shoot. They are the Instagram nerds trying to impress the other retards who dont know any better.

Back when there was a group of us who collected and appreciated KAC history these same fucks either were not even into guns or would shit on them. Then all of a sudden they are sucking each others dicks to try and buy their shit and show it off. KAC lost it coolness when all the dickheads were trying to buy it.

I used to make good money buying and selling MP5 optic mounts. They would do a run once or twice a year and flood the market at $215 each. Wait 4 months for them to dry up and prices shoot up to $600 or more. Sell them all and then buy 10-20 more at the next batch release.

If you ever get the chance go down to KAC HQ and get a tour. Its a damn campus with one of the biggest private tank collections in the world. Billions of dollars have gone through that company and with that massive campus they still only trickle out gear and guns. Its actually pisses me off, instead of getting their gear into more hands, they want to maintain their unobtainium status. They have a Mclaran dealership in their building fcs.....

Some of it just dumb. Like the TT, the Bipods, the Sand Cutter Bolts,ect

I bought a SR-25 lower from a buddy when it came in the shop for $1250, Sold it here a week later for $2500. Bought a SR-25 lower from Knights in FL direct for same price and it sold for $3500. Bought a sandcutter bolt for $215 and sold it for $800.

People are fucking dumb. The vast majority of the people buying this shit dont actually shoot. They are the Instagram nerds trying to impress the other retards who dont know any better.

Back when there was a group of us who collected and appreciated KAC history these same fucks either were not even into guns or would shit on them. Then all of a sudden they are sucking each others dicks to try and buy their shit and show it off. KAC lost it coolness when all the dickheads were trying to buy it.

I used to make good money buying and selling MP5 optic mounts. They would do a run once or twice a year and flood the market at $215 each. Wait 4 months for them to dry up and prices shoot up to $600 or more. Sell them all and then buy 10-20 more at the next batch release.

If you ever get the chance go down to KAC HQ and get a tour. Its a damn campus with one of the biggest private tank collections in the world. Billions of dollars have gone through that company and with that massive campus they still only trickle out gear and guns. Its actually pisses me off, instead of getting their gear into more hands, they want to maintain their unobtainium status. They have a Mclaran dealership in their building fcs.....

Would love to do a KAC HQ tour if the opportunity ever arises. That's crazy about the Mclaren dealership :oops:

That business strategy of artificially driving up demand through limited inventory is pretty damn annoying for regular consumers like you or I. A literal "Gucci" ar15.

I love my Mod 1 and will never part with it, but if I was buying an AR15 today it would probably not be a KAC.

Lol who are you on The Black

• Haha
Reactions: Jsp556
After painfully watching that video. You better not shoot it. Somebody - maybe somebody in that audience - will someday give you premium coin for it. Any chance you can forge Costa's signature on one of the recievers?

Reactions: BCP
I'm gonna go against the grain and say if you keep it don't bang it around. Maybe take it to the range to see if it has any magic or not.

ARFCommers were paying dumbshit prices for the costa 5.56 not too long ago. In the future who knows? Maybe Larue will get a big mil contract and be the new hot shit.

PSA kit rifle would be an excellent ranch rifle and they're cheap.

My opinion for what its worth.

Theres been a few times Ive come into guns that were collectable to some but not my flavor. Those guns I flipped them to buy 2-3 of what I wanted.

If this one is something you want keep it and use it however you want. If it doesn't blow your skirt up then see what the collector market is and see what you can get out of it.

I have a few Larue rifles

1) UU 300blk kit (sold too damn heavy)

2) UU 16” PredatAr Barrel kit (sold)

3) UU 6.5 Gren (sold didn’t shoot worth a damn)

4) UU 16” 556 Stealth (sold barrel, BCG and CH, waiting for new barrel setup).

5) UU 224 Valk (tough getting it to shoot under 1”)

6) PredatAr 16” 556. Rifle had a separated case head that blew out the factory BCG. Shot decent before. I dropped in another NiB BCG and shots fine now. I might pull the barrel and run a criterian CORE that is a plain shooter. I paid $1750.00 for it slightly used. I wouldn’t buy it at the new prices now.

6) PredatAr 308 16”. It was the lightest reliable AR10 to get (before the Ruger SF 308 came out). It shoots good, no issues. Paid $2k for it slightly used without a trigger or stock (had plenty laying around). I felt it was a good deal as that rifle is over 3500 now. Would I buy it again? I’m honestly not sure I would. Thought about putting my proof 308 18” barrel in it and running a JP BCG in it. Then buying the Ruger SF at as my 16” gun.

I’ve shot a lot round downs my Larue rifles. Personally with the sales on stuff, a little AR knowledge, and time to research you can build or buy better rifles for WAY less money.

I would sell that Larue Costa rifle so quick. Gun broker or AR15.com

Sell it and get something you want to use, fan boys pay insane amounts for laroo gear.

That's my thinking. I'd put it on GunBrokeMe with a high reserve and see if some Fan wants it a whole lot more than me and is willing to over pay for it. Worst case you wasted a week and some typing.

I've done this a couple times with older, genuinely collectable things, "I know what this is, I like it, but to me it would be just a shooter and I don't need a rare/like new one for that. I'll see if someone who will really appreciate it really wants it." Never been disappointed, and a couple times shocked that they sold for 2-3 times what I thought they would.

Reactions: 346ci
Good idea, list it on arfcom first, plenty of those types there. If nothing after a few weeks, gb.

Just did a trade deal for this Costa. It appears to be unfired. So I'm a little torn on shooting it or putting it on GB for a super-high price......but I'm leaning toward just shooting the heck out of it

Attachments

• IMG_1660.jpeg
    IMG_1660.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 51
OP asks to shoot or not shoot.
Usual Hide hate for ML comes out :)

I shoot the crap out of both of the limited edition large & small frame rifles.
Got the Costa a few months ago and looked like it had very little use. Changed the muzzle device to run a different can and love the rifle.

OP- shoot it and enjoy it!

IMG_6244.jpg

sandmanK.jpg

sanmanS.jpg