• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LaRue OBR 7.62 Scope Advice - S&B 3-20x50 or 5-25x56?

HogBoss

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2013
Also... I've read up on the MTC vs standard DT dials. It seems there is much apprehension surrounding the MTC (which is the stock configuration for the 3-20 and is an option for the 5-25). After I have become proficient at the 500 to 1000 yard range with the OBR, I will likely want to move into 6.5 Creedmoor or possibly (eventually) .338 Lapua. Would the 3-20x be sufficient for >1k yards or should I plan to buy a higher magnification scope for that application? Is the 5-25x overkill for the OBR 7.62?

edit: meant to specify that I am looking at the PM II. Also am looking at H59 vs H37 reticles.

For the same amount of money, the 5-25x is a nicer scope in my opinion.

What are you gaining by going to the 3-20x? You lose 5x on the top end only to gain 2x on the bottom end. For really up close, add a set of offset irons or a MRDS. There's a smaller objective which leads to less light transmission and resolution. I have also found that the 3-20x has a less forgiving eyebox.

Now the 3-20x is still a much better optic than many others out there; but the 5-25x is the king for Schmidts... with the price being about the same it's a no brainer to go with the 5-25x.

may i suggest possibly holding off on the bugatti veyron of the scope world, thats unless you are just acheing to spend money overscoping a gas gun. more magnification is nice, but can be negated by mirage depending on where you live, 12-15 power is more than enough for a 1000. untill you really start pushing the linits of the big magnums, your really going overboard.

since you have implied that you would like to become profient at 500-1000, it may benifit you to drop a couple grand on courses rather than an ultra high end optic. of course, if budget allows you could do both nothing wrong with having the best money can buy, but dropping close to 7 grand on a 1MOA gun is akin to throwing brembo brakes and a super charger on a honda mini van.

Yeah don't be an idiot like me ;)

DSCN1125.jpg

Seriously, either will work. Just look at the features that you want. If you get either you won't have to worry about upgrading. I like the 5-25x as you can adjust parallax down to 10 meters which is nice for close shots. The 3-20x goes down to 25 meters which is still better than most which are 50 meters. If you are getting a Horus reticle then there is no reason to worry about the knobs as you will be setting them and then using the reticle.

i agree with posters above, also i can see the bullet hole at the range without using a spotting scope cuz sometime im lazy to carry it to the range.

I don't even own a spotting scope. No need. My 25x scope can see as well as most spotting scopes except the really good ones and like mentioned in hot weather a spotter will get killed by mirage fast.

And Gunner that idiot comment above was just a joke.

What are you gaining by going to the 3-20x?

I was thinking the smaller profile might be an advantage and although the 3x isn't much less magnification than 5x, perhaps it would be more appropriate for the OBR.

I don't even own a spotting scope. No need.

And this was part of my motivation to go for S&B. I figured I would enjoy having one excellent scope over a very good scope with a mediocre spotting scope. I have enough gear to haul to the range and for laziness alone I'd prefer to have an oversized rifle scope that doubles as a spotting scope.

may i suggest possibly holding off on the bugatti veyron of the scope world

It's a personality trait w/ me. If I buy a 1.5-2k scope, I'll be kicking myself later for not spending a little extra to get the top of the line. I went through the same thing prior to buying a Noveske AR. I don't regret the Noveske at all, but the PITA DPMS I bought before it (although running fine after some work) is probably something I could have done without.

Given my intention to get into 6.5 / .300 Win mag / .338 Lapua, I will likely want to transfer the scope. I like the idea of owning one or two ultra high-end scopes and sharing them across rifles (watched the Magpul videos and Mr Hodnett made a good point there I thought).

I also intend to use the scope on a stock Remington 700 ADL with which I presently can get 3/4 MOA (10 round groupings - 100 yards) using handloaded 168 gr A-MAx w/ IMR4831 @ 2750 fps. I've still got some room to increase the velocity and if I can find a sweet spot at the higher end (per my Hornady book), I should be able to get around 2900fps which would approach the lower end of .300 win mag loads.

it may benifit you to drop a couple grand on courses

Agree 100%. A guy can't buy a piano on a whim and call himself a musician. I fully do intend to spend some money on training I live in central TX and would like to go to the Accuracy 1st facility out west. I also was thinking of checking out Tiger Valley in Waco. Am open to travelling farther for good training.

I think Rifles Only is there as well, might wanna check them out.

I put a Premier 5-25 on my Larue OBR... frankly it feels like too much scope for me. I'm thinking of replacing it with something in the 3-15 mag.

I've got a 3x17 USO on my OBR, plenty of magnification for the ranges and caliber you have. As far as your reticle choice, I like the Horus, but prefer the any of the H-27/58/59 over the H37. I've got one H37 in a 4x16 S&B, just don't like it that far up in the feild of view. If I think I need that much more elevation, I'd just dial in another 5, and keep the open view in the top half, using one of the other reticles.

I would go by what features you like and go with 25x. The S&B is a great scope and it can be used as a spotter too. I have a S&B 5x25 on my 556 target AR and Premier 5x25 on my 7.62 AR. I always use my scope at 25x even when doing groups at 100yrds.... people might think it is overkill, but for me it works great. i don't know how much the 3-20 power weighs, but I would say the only downside is size and weight of the scope.

I've got a 3x17 USO on my OBR, plenty of magnification for the ranges and caliber you have. As far as your reticle choice, I like the Horus, but prefer the any of the H-27/58/59 over the H37. I've got one H37 in a 4x16 S&B, just don't like it that far up in the feild of view. If I think I need that much more elevation, I'd just dial in another 5, and keep the open view in the top half, using one of the other reticles.

Can you post or PM me pics of that OBR with the 3x17 scope please? Deciding right now the same thing. 5x25 seems so heavy on the OBR however it would allow me not to buy another scope if I add a bolt action rifle one day.

Can you post or PM me pics of that OBR with the 3x17 scope please? Deciding right now the same thing. 5x25 seems so heavy on the OBR however it would allow me not to buy another scope if I add a bolt action rifle one day.

Ask and you shall receive, here is a pic of the reticle, 17x :

and one on the rifle, old pic, rifle now wears a SF can:

That's a bit big on the pic, but the lawn chair across the canal, gives you an idea of the FOV. Hard to get good pics thru scope, was trying for a reticle pic.

I like the 3x17 USO, have several, and they are every bit as good as the S&B's, and are priced more affordably. I did have a small minor issue with this one, sent it back, they fixed it and added an internal level. 17x is plenty on a 308, out to about 600 yards, no Pepsi can is safe if the wind isn't too bad. This rifle has won me many cold bore pots, shooting Pepsi ( we like Coke, hate Pepsi ) cans at 400-600 yards.

Guys that haven't shot against this rifle are " how nice of you to go first - We will get a good wind read off your miss! Ping, and another blue/red can dies, collect pot and laugh. The game is fun, everyone throws a twenty in, one guy not shooting sets up the cans down range, any yardage he chooses. Everyone gets on their rifle, anyone can go first, no one can shoot twice until everyone has shot, then that is the order. Winner takes all, and gets to shoot at any other can on his next turn. It's usually the only non bolt gun, and most of those are high $$$ customs.

Pays to be a winner, as usual!