• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

LaRue OBR accuracy issues with YHM Phantom Ti

BigTex

Dr. Dickweed
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2013
    I have been shooting my recently acquired OBR 7.62 for the last few months, getting familiar with it. I have noticed that it will shoot sub-MOA no problem without the can on it, but if I put the can on it the group drops 2"(to be expected), but it also opens up to 2-2.5 MOA and very erratic. The gun cycles fine with and without the can, the accuracy just goes all to shit with it. I also use this can on my R700 AAC-SD, RRA 5.56, and LMT 5.56 with no degradation in accuracy. Any ideas on the cause of this issue? Thanks.

Is this a straight thread on, or is it a QD Mount?

Possible Issues:
    - The Can or Mount are not 100% secure on the barrel (double check everything)
    - The Can or Mount are not 100% concentric to the bore (have a Gun Smith QC everything)
    - The Rifle/Barrel/Can combination are not working with your load, the harmonics are off (try a new/different load workup)

I have had the same problem multiple times:
    1 - was a bad QD Mount, switched it and the problem went away
    2 - had to do some pretty extensive load workup to find something that worked well in the rifle

Hope you can figure out.

Check your mount. Something is either loose or not mating up correctly. I am assuming you have used the YHM can on other rifles before and have not experienced this issue, correct?

I have mounts for about 10 rifles. All of my guns shoot worse with the YHM Silencer than no Silencer at all. For me, I have just accepted this, and am OK with just over 1 MO, this is good enough.. If I want to shoot tight groups or need all out accuracy, I shoot with the can off.

Is this a straight thread on, or is it a QD Mount?

Possible Issues:
    - The Can or Mount are not 100% secure on the barrel (double check everything)
    - The Can or Mount are not 100% concentric to the bore (have a Gun Smith QC everything)
    - The Rifle/Barrel/Can combination are not working with your load, the harmonics are off (try a new/different load workup)

I have had the same problem multiple times:
    1 - was a bad QD Mount, switched it and the problem went away
    2 - had to do some pretty extensive load workup to find something that worked well in the rifle

Hope you can figure out.

It is a QD model. I may try one of my other QD mounts on this rifle and see if that fixes it.

Check your mount. Something is either loose or not mating up correctly. I am assuming you have used the YHM can on other rifles before and have not experienced this issue, correct?
    As stated in the OP, I have run this can on numerous other rifles without issue.
    I have mounts for about 10 rifles. All of my guns shoot worse with the YHM Silencer than no Silencer at all. For me, I have just accepted this, and am OK with just over 1 MO, this is good enough.. If I want to shoot tight groups or need all out accuracy, I shoot with the can off.
    I have actually found the contrary with this can on my other rifles, they shoot as good or better with the can on as with it off.

I have actually found the contrary with this can on my other rifles, they shoot as good or better with the can on as with it off.

I have a YHM Ti on the way, been waiting almost 7 months for paperwork to clear... I am hoping this one will be just as accurate as the guns (without the can).

Sorry, I must have skipped over the last part about use on other rifles, I'm an idiot, sorry.

The area I would check is your mount then. The last mount I picked up for my Phantom Ti was oversized on the outside diameter. Initially it didn't seem too close, but after use I discovered there was I shinny ring around portions of the mount where there should not be contact. In my case it did not cause any accuracy issues, but I could see how it would be possible. While this may not be 100% applicable in your case, it has brought to my attention that it cannot be assumed that the mount itself is within spec.

How much torque did you apply to the mount?

My solution? Swap mounts with one of your other rifles to diagnose. If you have already done this, maybe your next step would be to contact YHM. I've never seen groups open up with that can even after some serious abuse on my SBR.

I'll be curious on what you are able to find out.

I have an SR -25, sr-15 and numerous dpms rifles that I have run my YHM can on. All changed the POI between 1-3" depending on caliber and barrel length. Accuracy has improved on all rifles with the can. I would check your QD mount. Is it new or used or recycled from a prior build? I have heard of the spring degrading with heat/time and the QD doesn't get good lockup. This would affect harmonics and accuracy. Also the new QD's from YHM are way better than the old, which could help things too. Lastly change bullet weights. As noted above, the combo with the can may like a different round than unsuppressed mGood luck, this should be a great setup for you.

The Mount is brand new, I'll try a different one and see where that gets me.

Does it shoot poorly with just one load or with a variety of loads that do well in the gun sans the can? Odd that it happens with only the OBR. There's another poster here, 1slowz71 is his handle, I think, that also has accuracy issues with his YHM Ti QD can.

Oh, and go Red Raiders! (I'm class of '91)

The same this happens with my loads(43.1Varget, 178gr AMAX, Lapua brass, CCI-BR2) and FGMM.

Has to be something in the mount. I had a very similar issue years back, and it turned out to be that the thread adapters I was using didn't have a relieved thread, so the can wasn't shouldering to the barrel correctly. I know yours uses a mount so it isn't 100% apples to apples, but I had the same exact issues- 1/2 moa rifles turned into 3 moa rifles.