• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue PreadatAR 7.62 18" Optic HELP

Hunter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
Picking it up tomorrow and need an optic for it in the very near future. What would you buy? I'm trying to set a budget at $1500 and under. Thanks

Attachments

• M4 new rings .JPG
    M4 new rings .JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for the advice, I'm still undecided and there seems to be a wide range of what you guys prefer. I will be shooting targets from 50-800 yards for fun. And maybe the occasional hunt depending on the situation. No competition other than with a few buddies. I was definitely looking to stay somewhat compact though.

Nightforce 2.5-10 is your best option. If you want more magnification (no illumination) Leupold MK6 3-18 will also work. I've had both on a 16" PredatAR and they both work well. I prefer the MK6 or VX-6 1-6 for hunting and hauling around.

I got the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 recently. It's awesome. SFP but at 10X and less, it doesn't really matter. The glass is super clear and the reticle thickness just right.

As others have said already the NF 2.5-10 or 3.5-15 are both excellent. I had the NF 3.5-15 F1 and loved it. I've also used the Bushnell 3.5-21 HDMR with G2 ret and it was awesome too with about the same weight as the F1. The Vortex Razor is also a great choice too, there's usually one in the optics section for sale on occasion.

As others have said already the NF 2.5-10 or 3.5-15 are both excellent. I had the NF 3.5-15 F1 and loved it. I've also used the Bushnell 3.5-21 HDMR with G2 ret and it was awesome too with about the same weight as the F1. The Vortex Razor is also a great choice too, there's usually one in the optics section for sale on occasion.

I was going to make these recommendations as well, depending on what you want for magnification. You could also consider a 1-6, if you will only rarely go out to 800. Vortex, SWFA, US Optics (and Leupold for slightly more) all might be worth a look.

If you can 'focus' your wants/needs, it should narrow the field a lot. There are lots of good scopes of various mag ranges in the $1000-1500 range these days from many of the manufacturers already mentioned.

Enjoy the new LaRue.

Just put a HDMR I got from Euro for $900 on my tOBR. I couldn't pass up the deal on the scope. Had the rifle since January, just been waiting on glass and a mount. Got it all set up yesterday and ready for some range time this weekend.

The new Bushnell LRHS 3-12x with new Gap spec'd reticle looks really nice. The initial reports the last few days I've read describe the glass and turrets as phenomenal. $1550 with a free ARC 1000 rangefinder.... I'm really tempted to grab one myself. That, or a Nightforce 2.5-10x30 or x42 would be my choices for semi compact optics. Definitely read up on the new Bushy.

NF F1 with Horus H59 atop 16" .308 P'tOBR:

IMG_3411.JPG

NF 5.5-22x50 NXS with 18" .308 P'tOBR suppressed:

IMG_3221.JPG

This rifle now has a NF ATACR in a Spuhr mount on it. A little big in the glass department, maybe, but I can leave the spotting scope at home!

For the lighter .308 PredatAR, I prefer an appropriately sized optic, the outstanding new NF 2.5-10x42 NXS:

IMG_3660.JPG

There's room to stick a T-1 on there, too.

The P'tAR is a difficult rifle to define. Drive it right - meaning a hard, consistent hold - and it will shoot sub-MOA, making it a precision rifle. But, at 8 pounds dry weight, it's light enough to be considered an assault rifle. Just a very powerful one! If I had to have one rifle for every application, this would be it. Just wish my SOCOM suppressor for it would hurry up and get approved.

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

This rifle now has a NF ATACR in a Spuhr mount on it. A little big in the glass department, maybe, but I can leave the spotting scope at home!

For the lighter .308 PredatAR, I prefer an appropriately sized optic, the outstanding new NF 2.5-10x42 NXS:

IMG_3660.JPG

The P'tAR is a difficult rifle to define. Drive it right - meaning a hard, consistent hold - and it will shoot sub-MOA, making it a precision rifle. But, at 8 pounds dry weight, it's light enough to be considered an assault rifle. Just a very powerful one! If I had to have one rifle for every application, this would be it. Just wish my SOCOM suppressor for it would hurry up and get approved.

MSTN, Which reticle did you go with on the NXS Compact?

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

MSTN, Which reticle did you go with on the NXS Compact?

Pick up a vintage 1970's Weaver K-4 for about $50 or less.
Use until the finish is worn on the rig.
Upgrade optic with a graduated vertical reticle and be done.